*** NEW GAME BY TMOP: BEAT'EM & EAT'EM (AKA Philly Flasher) - TI99 port from Atari VCS 2600 ***

TMOP69

The second game port from Atari VCS 2600 is Beat'Em & Eat'Em (AKA Philly Flasher) from Mystique/PlayAround. It was released in 1982 in a 4K cart.
There is also a variant, called Philly Flasher. The game uses paddles.

This is an "adult" game. After 40 years from the initial release, now the graphics/animations look anything but "erotic". The pixel art now inspire a grotesque sense of humor... 🙂 

Furthermore, the games in this category are not well-known for their gameplay. I've tried to create a version that looks and feels like a real conversion of the game done in 80s and modified the gameplay to be more enjoyable. Practically, the original game was a clone of the Kaboom concept and that was/is a nice game to play... 😉 

You can download and play it right now (please read first the Read_Me_First!.pdf file in the archive). Note that there is also included a "experimental" version with sprites rotation routine that works better on CRT monitor. Rename the MAME versions removing the final .bin (just leave .rpk).

Have a lot of fun!

Finally, many thanks to Joe ( @Retrospect ) for his "adults" games on the TI, that were surely an inspiration for this conversion... 🤣

Cover_Sample.png

Game1.png

Game2.png

Beat'Em & Eat'Em - CRT Version (2023)(TMOP)_[Requires 32K]._8.bin Beat'Em & Eat'Em - CRT Version (2023)(TMOP)_[Requires 32K].rpk.bin Beat'Em & Eat'Em (2023)(TMOP)_[Requires 32K].rpk.bin Beat'Em & Eat'Em (2023)(TMOP)_[Requires 32K]_8.bin Beat'Em&Eat'Em_(AKA Philly Flasher)_Instructions.pdf Read_Me_First!.pdf

Wow @TMOP69!   Yet another port, and so soon too!  I never had a 2600 when I was growing up, so these ports of yours will afford me the opportunity to see what I've missed over the decades.  It's also nice to see the TI getting some love here, while at the same time expanding it's base of games.   When I get back this evening I'll download it and check it out.  👍

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

54 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

Wow @TMOP69!   Yet another port, and so soon too!  I never had a 2600 when I was growing up, so these ports of yours will afford me the opportunity to see what I've missed over the decades.  It's also nice to see the TI getting some love here, while at the same time expanding it's base of games.   When I get back this evening I'll download it and check it out.  👍

Never had the VCS too, just (re)discovered due to recent 50th anniversary of Atari. 🙂 
There are some nice games, still fun to play today. I had a backlog of ports for the TI, but I was totally demotivated as I have written in another post. Maybe I'll port now some TI games to the Atari.

15 hours ago, TMOP69 said:

Never had the VCS too, just (re)discovered due to recent 50th anniversary of Atari. 🙂 
There are some nice games, still fun to play today. I had a backlog of ports for the TI, but I was totally demotivated as I have written in another post. Maybe I'll port now some TI games to the Atari.

I'm sure the Atari guys would love that!  But you know, I doubt the 2600 could do a convincing Parsec.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Gotta admit, not a game I would have expected to be ported 😝amazing work all the same. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison