Interesting Vehicles from Afar

Atari 5200 Guy

On 12/16/2023 at 3:19 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Hey @RickR!  Here’s a cool older Isuzu.

IMG_1934.jpeg

Love that.  Reminds me of a much later model Isuzu, below.  Don't know why the old cheapo-italo design speaks to me the way it does, but I've always dreamt about finding one of these just to use for daily office commuting 😄

image.png.b8382be9542346847ac953fb7bfed1f1.png

1 hour ago, Smell Dawg said:

Love that.  Reminds me of a much later model Isuzu, below.  Don't know why the old cheapo-italo design speaks to me the way it does, but I've always dreamt about finding one of these just to use for daily office commuting 😄

image.png.b8382be9542346847ac953fb7bfed1f1.png

Now I’d drive that!  That does give off an Italian vibe. It also gives off that DeLorean vide, too.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Now I’d drive that!  That does give off an Italian vibe. It also gives off that DeLorean vide, too.

Ha, are you making that reference tongue-in-cheek??  I wandered over the ol' Wikipedia and, yes, both the early Impulse and DeLorean (among many other famous older designs) were indeed by the same individual - Giorgetto Giugiaro.  No surprise he's also responsible for the early Esprit and many Lancia designs!

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

That reminds me of this:

IMG_1953.jpeg

lol oh no, let’s keep this clean Mike. Yugo GV “great value!” (Zastava Koral) built by a Yugoslavian arms manufacturer, was based on a shortened version of the Fiat 128 dating back to 1969 and very similar to the Fiat 127 and designed initially for the Yugoslavian market. Malcom Bricklin couldn’t help but import these as the cheapest car in America until they no longer met safety standards. They were built in Kragujevac, Serbia through 2008. Interesting to read the history of but not to drive. Without a doubt I’d opt for the solid GTI.

Here’s the 1971 Fiat 127, if you squint you can see the Yugo in there:

Fiat_127_mk1.jpg

1 hour ago, Justin said:

lol oh no, let’s keep this clean Mike. Yugo GV “great value!” (Zastava Koral) built by a Yugoslavian arms manufacturer, was based on a shortened version of the Fiat 128 dating back to 1969 and very similar to the Fiat 127 and designed initially for the Yugoslavian market. Malcom Bricklin couldn’t help but import these as the cheapest car in America until they no longer met safety standards. They were built in Kragujevac, Serbia through 2008. Interesting to read the history of but not to drive. Without a doubt I’d opt for the solid GTI.

Here’s the 1971 Fiat 127, if you squint you can see the Yugo in there:

Fiat_127_mk1.jpg

I had a family friend who owned that same red Yugo (now I know where the name came from).  Slap a powerful motorcycle engine in a small car and let’s see what happens.  The car did drive well and fast but everything felt cheap. I had legos made of better plastic.  I was just saying looks-wise that VW shape reminded me of the Yugo.  Trust me…I’m trying to keep it clean 😉