Crazy about LOOM, the Magical Adventure Game! CRT Pixels Only

Loom… If the name sounds familiar, then you probably were a kid or a teenager in the 80s, just like me.
If you played this game not long after it came out, as I did in 1991, then you can understand the kind of enchantment it was back then.
Loom wasn’t really groundbreaking. It didn’t bring any major change to the gaming scene. But it perfected an existing genre: it brought the graphical adventure to a new level of maturity. You could expect no less from Lucasfilm Games, and this project led by Brian Moriarty was a masterpiece of its own.
Loom has superior graphics, soundtrack, and an ironclad scenario. It also adds a little touch of its own to the point & click adventure games, with a unique user interface based on musical notes.
All these aspects put together make Loom an outstanding game despite its few drawbacks, the main one being its simplicity level. So let’s dive deeper into this mysterious and enchanting universe.

ZERO footage from emulators was used to make this video!
Only the actual CRT screen pixels are shown!
Enjoy 🙂

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Loom is one of my favorites of the era. And it really cool to see it played on the PS/2 like in that video. As that is how I first saw the game when my best friend at the time first got it and that was how we played the game. Although, once I bought the game for myself a few months later, I played it with Adlib audio. It wasn't until much later.. .like over a decade later, that I got to experience the game as it was meant through my LAPC-I sound board so I could finally hear the MT-32 soundtrack the game first came with.

My only complaint in the video, is that when he shows the VGA graphics, it is apparent that a filter is being used like an HQ2 method or something because it looks far too smoothed out and that is why it looks off. Without such a filter in place the VGA graphics actually really good. But he is correct in that the 'talkie' version of the game features shorter music sections being played, and the dialog was cut quite a bit. Other things added/stripped is that the closeups of character faces was removed in the CD version but the extra scene he talks about if you play the game on hard on the EGA version I believe is always shown in the VGA version regardless of difficulty chosen. 

I only the game now as the 'talkie' version boxed as I had a tendency back then to give away my older floppy disk versions of my games when I bought the newer versions on CD later. But, I did make sure to still have George 'The Fatman' Sanger sign my copy of Loom as he was responsible for the soundtrack compilations in all versions of the game. In fact, the digital audio music played in the CD version is just the MT-32 soundtrack recorded. But again, the full pieces of the music don't play on the CD version as they do on the EGA original release with an MT-32.

There was very much a certain type of magic when playing the game and it was quite different when it was released back then as compared to most. But yes, Loom along with another Lucasarts later release of The Dig are two of my favorites in this genre for PCs back in the day.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I was just playing Lucas Art's LOOM on TurboDuo this weekend! Very cool example of this type of early '90s computer adventure game that lead to greats such as Myst.

I wouldn't mind owning that version but I believe it commands a pretty high price these days just like most PCE/TG-16 stuff does. 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

23 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

I wouldn't mind owning that version but I believe it commands a pretty high price these days just like most PCE/TG-16 stuff does. 

@CrossBow I was fortunate to get my copy of Loom about 25 years ago from Turbo Zone Direct. The Duo had some truly amazing games and many were completely overlooked for years. I overlooked some of them myself in 1993 because I was so excited for games like Club Drive to come out on the Jaguar that I missed some other great things going on at the time.

If you're just looking for fun games to be able to play, PCE Works offers new repops and box sets of many of these hard to find titles, at good prices. They're very well done and it's essentially like getting a brand new game. They keep their stock updated here:

https://stock.pceworks.net/