Club Evercade - Let's All Play - Feb 2024 - IREM Arcade 1

IREM Arcade 1
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 29, 2024

Objective
Explore this Evercade cartridge...together!  Play every game, let us all know what you think.  Do you have a favorite?  Any you don't like?  Post high scores too!  Let's hear what you think about the manual and packaging.  Keep the discussion going all month long and explore every single game in the collection! 

Please spread the word and tell your friends!  The more the merrier.

Eligibility
Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules
Keep it civil.  We are all friends here.  Every opinion matters and is valid.

Welcome to our very first edition of the "Let's All Play" series.   We're starting off with IREM Arcade 1, which won our poll by the slimmest of margins!  If you don't own the game but would like to join in the fun, there is plenty of time to order a version from Blaze, ebay, or your vendor of choice!  This cart includes six arcade classics:

• R-Type
  • Moon Patrol
  • In the Hunt
  • Battle Chopper
  • Lightning Sword
  • 10 Yard Fight

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by RickR

I'm going to start with this topic:  What games are missing from this collection?  Here is the list of ALL IREM arcade games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irem_games

With only six games included, it sure feels like they could have added a few more.  "Kung Fu Master" is a huge omission.  And arcade "Lode Runner" is an underrated classic. 

On 1/18/2024 at 8:57 AM, 7800 Pro Gamer said:

Hey so if your available sometime this week we can do an off air dry run with me and Vinnie to see how well you fit in and see what your j treats are.  Let me know if your still interested in being on the show and when your available and we'll set up the meeting!

Ok, I like I-Rem Arcade and agree there should be another game or two on here for sure. I like that Blaze puts the manuals inside, some of them have posters too. The first page tells a short history about the company which I like. Not everyone knows some of these things they mention. I like the photos of each game with the instructions, and all the carts available on the last page. I decided to play R-Type. My eyes were burning too much to keep playing. I used the EXP. I might try the Pocket tomorrow and the VS next week. 174,500 is my best high score. I didn't feel like rotating the photo so I apologize for that. I am terrible at 10 Yard Fight. That will be the last one I play. 

20240201_210208~2.jpg

20240201_220003.jpg

1 hour ago, Cryptocoffee13 said:

The first page tells a short history about the company which I like. Not everyone knows some of these things they mention.

You know, I didn't look very closely at the manual.  I will to check this out. 

1 hour ago, Cryptocoffee13 said:

I am terrible at 10 Yard Fight. That will be the last one I play. 

I'm actually starting on 10 Yard Fight.  I really like sports games, and this is a fun one for me.  While it isn't very realistic, I like how you have to decide run or pass at the line based on the defensive formation.  I like how you can make the crossing receiver a blocker if you hike the ball while he's in front of a blitzing linebacker.  And I LOVE the very Japanese-sounding speech. 

I'll do R-Type second to see if I can match your score.  Is there an auto-fire feature?

12 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm going to start with this topic:  What games are missing from this collection?  Here is the list of ALL IREM arcade games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irem_games

With only six games included, it sure feels like they could have added a few more.  "Kung Fu Master" is a huge omission.  And arcade "Lode Runner" is an underrated classic. 

I am going to agree with "Kung Fu Master", and I'd add "UniWar S" as an early example, "Dragon Breed" and "Gunforce II" as the last game they made. 

23 hours ago, RickR said:

You know, I didn't look very closely at the manual.  I will to check this out. 

I'm actually starting on 10 Yard Fight.  I really like sports games, and this is a fun one for me.  While it isn't very realistic, I like how you have to decide run or pass at the line based on the defensive formation.  I like how you can make the crossing receiver a blocker if you hike the ball while he's in front of a blitzing linebacker.  And I LOVE the very Japanese-sounding speech. 

I'll do R-Type second to see if I can match your score.  Is there an auto-fire feature?

Yes, the latest update provided an auto fire feature. I do better playing it on the VS. 

14 minutes ago, Cryptocoffee13 said:

Yes, the latest update provided an auto fire feature. I do better playing it on the VS. 

Ooof.  I'm on the original Evercade.  I don't think it does updates. 

2 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

I lived in a high rise during a moderate earthquake. The building was opened in 1924. I was just one floor from the top. It swayed for several minutes and all I could think was "This is it!"

I remember a 5.2 or so here in Portland probably 20 years ago...I was also in a high rise on the 12th floor.  My boss went running to the stairs -- a really old guy.  It is funny in retrospect.  No one knew he could run that fast!  Once it was done, we could clearly see that our building and all the other high rises were swaying like pendulums and I learned to trust the technology.  But at that moment....TERRIFYING! 

I lived in Los Angeles for a few years, and experienced two earthquakes. The first one felt a lot like the one I felt yesterday. The one in LA, was a 6 or something high, I was living in a loft on the top floor, and it hit at 2am, I tried to get out of bed because the blinds were shaking, but I kept struggling to walk, thought it was because I woke up from a dead sleep, but it's because the building was swaying, I looked outside and saw all the blinds in every apartment swinging as this lasted for a couple of minutes or so. 

I tried to play on my EXP tonight, I didn't do very well. Think I will try the VCS tomorrow. I played 10 Yard Fight and got no TD's and stopped playing after my 5th attempt! Lol! Played two other games and couldn't figure out where to see high scores without playing again but they weren't great scores anyway. Have fun!

20240207_200303~2.jpg

20240207_204702~2.jpg

THANK YOU to all that participated in this first "Lets all play" event.  I had a lot of fun with the Irem games and I hope you did too. 

I'm going to have to shelve this series temporarily due to personal issues that need my time and focus.  But if anyone else would like to choose a next game and start the ball rolling, I'm willing to help with the initial post and such. 

We will eventually get back to this.  In the meantime, don't forget to share any of your retro adventures on the Evercade in our club.