Remember demo discs? For game consoles and PCs?

MaximumRD

This is just a sampling of the discs I have for PlayStation 2 and PCs. Used to buy a lot of video game magazines back in the day and I loved getting these discs stuffed full of samples, for computers, various software and games and of course for PlayStation 2 various game demos.

IMG-5281.jpg

IMG-5283.jpg

I definitely used to have a bunch for Dreamcast, but I don’t think I have any of those left anymore, pretty sure this is the last box that I have, a lot of the computer software would obviously be useless now being very old versions and some of it even nonexistent it’s still a fun and nostalgic look back at how we used to sample such things before broad band high speed Internet, access, high-speed, and so accessible to everyone.  It was a box for a pair of boots that I had bought, so it’s a pretty large box and pretty much every disc in here is in mint condition or at least very good condition with the sleeves. Of course, sometimes it wasn’t a demo for a game it might just be a video sample  of gameplay or in between cinematic. Fun times. Anyone out there still have some old demo disc lying around? 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

5 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

This is just a sampling of the discs I have for PlayStation 2 and PCs. Used to buy a lot of video game magazines back in the day and I loved getting these discs stuffed full of samples, for computers, various software and games and of course for PlayStation 2 various game demos.

IMG-5281.jpg

IMG-5283.jpg

I definitely used to have a bunch for Dreamcast, but I don’t think I have any of those left anymore, pretty sure this is the last box that I have, a lot of the computer software would obviously be useless now being very old versions and some of it even nonexistent it’s still a fun and nostalgic look back at how we used to sample such things before broad band high speed Internet, access, high-speed, and so accessible to everyone.  It was a box for a pair of boots that I had bought, so it’s a pretty large box and pretty much every disc in here is in mint condition or at least very good condition with the sleeves. Of course, sometimes it wasn’t a demo for a game it might just be a video sample  of gameplay or in between cinematic. Fun times. Anyone out there still have some old demo disc lying around? 

Oh man that is an awesome collection! Love the art on the Descent and Duke Nukem 1 demo discs sleeves. 😄

4 hours ago, RickR said:

I've got a whole box full of the PC Gamer demo discs.  Probably 50 of them I'd guess.  Those were the greatest, as there would be several fun demos to try every month. 

I got a few hanging around, but not all of the ones I had. 🙂 Miss those days. I couldn't get a magazine all the time, but when I had enough pocket money it was a good time to play a bunch of games all weekend for cheap.

Once games got bigger it was less fun. Original Xbox was the last time it was fun, or a thing, that I can remember.

Shareware and PD disk/discs were also equal fun! I have a ton of ST PD disks and still have a CD full of DOS shareware.

Here are the demos I had without too much digging around. 😛

image.png.347d7993ace5df69c1e0571bb258b70d.pngimage.png.448ccb7242d986cf5c3debe97e4719f8.png

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

Yeah, I used to buy PC Gamer magazine a lot and playing the demos off their coverdisk CD's.  Sadly the front-end menus never work so I end up extracting the demo install files off the disk anyway, my favorites being Unreal Tournament and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri which I end up buying.

The one demo disk I remebered the most fondly was one sent to me by Squaresoft (courtesy of EBGames) where the two games I liked, and bought, were Einhander and Bushido Blade.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jinroh said:

Original Xbox was the last time it was fun, or a thing, that I can remember.

image.png.347d7993ace5df69c1e0571bb258b70d.pngimage.png.448ccb7242d986cf5c3debe97e4719f8.png

Hah my memory is totally mud these days because although I thought these were all the DEMO discs I had SEEING YOUR POST, I am reminded I have a big box of OG XBOX stuff, couple consoles, accessories and YES several Xbox demo discs just like you are showing here, ah heck I will go take a picture right now and post....

Thanks for the reminder 🧐Never ended up having an Xbox during the original run, yet I collected many magazines that I no longer have, but I still have THESE 😁

20240514-144839.jpg

Along the top are the ONLY retail games, found GTA # and Vice City combo pack in a thrift shop and received MechAssualt with some trades years ago but all the rest are Magazine DEMO DISCS, even some with 360 demo as old Xbox was starting to get phased out. To this day, I do not own a 360 🤷‍♂️😝

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

20 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

Hah my memory is totally mud these days because although I thought these were all the DEMO discs I had SEEING YOUR POST, I am reminded I have a big box of OG XBOX stuff, couple consoles, accessories and YES several Xbox demo discs just like you are showing here, ah heck I will go take a picture right now and post....

Thanks for the reminder 🧐Never ended up having an Xbox during the original run, yet I collected many magazines that I no longer have, but I still have THESE 😁

20240514-144839.jpg

Along the top are the ONLY retail games, found GTA # and Vice City combo pack in a thrift shop and received MechAssualt with some trades years ago but all the rest are Magazine DEMO DISCS, even some with 360 demo as old Xbox was starting to get phased out. To this day, I do not own a 360 🤷‍♂️😝

Great Collection of OXM discs! 😄 Also +1 on MechAssault. Love all three of the games. The DS version is really way better than it should be. 😉

16 hours ago, TrekMD said:

This is one of the ones I have.  I love the movie, so I had to get this...

Jum6TNA.jpg

Really cool I didn't know they had a demo or game of Titan AE. 😄

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

1 hour ago, Jinroh said:

Great Collection of OXM discs! 😄 Also +1 on MechAssault. Love all three of the games. The DS version is really way better than it should be. 😉

Really cool I didn't know they had a demo or game of Titan AE. 😄

You can still get them but they have become rather pricey!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...