Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Mortal Kombat 3 To Debut On Atari Jaguar - CVG News

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 627 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:35 AM

Scan provided by Lost Dragon - Enjoy!

Still think this would have been an incredible addition to the Jaguar's library of games.

mortal_kombat_3_atari_jaguar.jpg

• The Professor, RickR, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

More of these popular titles on Jaguar, if done right, would have really positioned the Jaguar as a more serious threat to SNES and Genesis
  • Clint Thompson, Lost Dragon and MalakZero like this

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:40 AM

This was reported on by C+VG and Ultimate Future Games (think i sent you scan of that as well), but i never saw any supposed Jaguar screens to go with it.

I believe Midway has been contacted in the past, in hope of info on the game coming forward, but no-one has had any replies?.

If this is the case, sadly i'm not overly surprised, as soon as you mention your asking about Atari Jaguar games to many an industry contact, that's the last you hear from them, be it lost or released games.

I had hoped to of gotten a bit more info from 1 of the producers of Jag CD Primal Rage, he was kind enough to reply, but since explaining what i was looking into, not heard a thing, so think that speaks volumes.

The Jaguar badly needed something like MK III to prove it was to be taken seriousily in the market and could pull in (and pull off) the big name titles.

Double Dragon V, Dragon:Bruce Lee Story and Primal Rage just were not going to cut it, let alone rushing titles like Kasumi Ninja out, just to have product on the shelves.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

I know Ultra Vortek has it's fans, but in terms of press reception, it often got slaughtered at review and again, for myself kinda suggests Atari should of invested the money getting the bigger name titles secured and coding rather than attempting MK/SF clones of their own...

Thea Realm Fighters being another, it simply wasn't a stategy that worked.

There seems to be very mixed messages as to just how far along game actually got, read reports over the years it was playable at some consumer electronics show, but then you get conflicting reports from others who actually worked in the industry:

" I was working on all those games in some respect. Not sure what happened with the MK games, but they were probably not far enough along when they started to lay off staff....."

"We had a NBA Jam and MK arcade games in the break room. NBA JAM got released, but I can't remember why the MK games fell off the map.

My memory is some what shaky, but it could have had to do with that we already had a few fighting games, so it got moved down the ladder. And the original MK actors also wanted to make game so we went down that path as well..."

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

"FT: I am pretty sure that Barkley basketball and hull hockey were somewhat playable(there are roms floating around of those I think) I don't think Batman or MK got that far. But NBA Jam came out ok so I assume it would have been at least that level of quality."

http://www.grumpyold...ason-interview/

To be fair to Faran though, i was asking him about titles some 20 years old, of course memory is going to be hazy, this is why in cases like this, i'd love to have more leads to follow up on, artists, producers, coders etc.

You look at fair lesser titles like Creature shock, Jez San himself admits that he honestly cannot recal much on how far along Jag CD version got, this is why finding his 'at the time' interviews with Edge are useful, plus getting the stories from likes of Alexander Holland who recovered Jag dev.kits from a skip plus misc CD-R's, Darryl Still, who explained Atari UK's viewpoint and how they couldn't fund the conversion themselves, Mike Fulton, Nic Cusworth, Martin Piper etc.

Plus you have to be careful when wording Q's..if you 'suggest' somethinmg sold X many units or was nigh on complete, they'll often just agree with the suggestion, rather than be able to give a detailed explanation, but then your talking the mists of time and memories getting weaker as years pass.

So much info has been lost/undocumented over the years, we are literally now taking potshots in the dark to try and discover more.

#6 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 627 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

I vaguely remember something about Sony paying $11 million dollars or somewhere around there to have it released on the Playstation first. It was kind of funny because they pushed for such a fast release that it was bugged with the final character. Not sure what they did to resolve that fiasco. Atari was a small fish and you had sharks like Sony and Nintendo out pushing and swooping up things like Phear and MK3.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

Very good points there my friend, this was THE ERA Sony was literally swimming in money to ensure the Playstation was going to be the must have platform.

Didn't Sony have something like a 6 month exclusive deal on it for PS1? and thus the Saturn had to wait for Ultimate MK3 before it got a version?

Seems somewhat ironic the game was ported to far less powerful 2D machines than the Jaguar  (Megadrive, Mastersystem (in Brazil via Techtoy), Gamegear, SNES and Gameboy) but not the Jaguar.

Sculptured Software and Software Creations, were i believe, the teams involved in the home conversions for the most part and exactly the ones to carry the conversions off, wether Atari would ever of funded the likes of these or attempted to have a cheaper team attempt it on the Jaguar, i'd love to hear more on. 

Faran talks of working on MK 3 in some respect, but it's still very vague.

Atari never had a proverbial Cat in Hell's chance of competing with Sega, let alone Sony and Nintendo and thus when they swooped in with open cheque books, that's where the developers and games like Phear, ended up.

Plus they had the more capable hardware, so titles like Freelancer 2120 (Imagitec), dropped from Jag CD, moved to PS1..not that it lasted long on that platform before developer bought out, project canned....

Edited by Lost Dragon, 01 June 2016 - 09:39 AM.

#8 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,291 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

To be honest, I didn't not know of any MK3 game coming to the Jaguar.  The only games I remember seeing advertised the most were the exclusives it got, arcade remakes (the 2000 series including Tempest), and ports of aging PC titles.  Granted it was an awesome console but I really believe the console could have pulled off so much more.  I'm not saying it didn't get any good games but titles like Club Drive really show just how erratic the game library was.  I'm glad that it did get Raiden...that was a much needed title.  I believe if they could have got developers like Midway to sign up the system might have had a better standing.

• BlackCatz40 and Lost Dragon like this

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

It's always been something of a chicken and egg situation though, kamakazi20012, publishers are reluctant to support new hardware until they've sold enough units to build up a user base where they feel confident enough to start developing for the format, consumers reluctant to buy new hardware until they see the big name titles they want on the format.

It gets more akward in Atari's case as not only did they lack the money to sign up the real talented teams, but you had an industry that had grown very wary of dealing with Atari over the years leading upto the Jaguar.

The Amiga had over taken the promising head start here in the UK the ST had (as soon as Amiga price dropped, that was it, sales rocketed, developers switched to Amiga versions 1st in numerous cases), the Falcon was a non-event, Atari had been telling developers to start working on the Panther, only to suddenly say to them forget that, start working on Jaguar titles instead, plus as Mev Dinc said, he shied away from the Panther due to Atari's track record, Jez San quoted as saying Argonaut never (finished) any Jaguar titles, as they knew when not to take risks, Atari were seen as far too big a risk to back with Jaguar....

And whilst putting in a 68000 processor, so coders had some familar hardware, sounds great on paper, it simply invited the SNES/MD/Amiga ports we saw in high numbers, released and unreleased (a la Microprose with Tinhead).

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#10 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 165 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:12 AM

To be honest, I didn't not know of any MK3 game coming to the Jaguar.  The only games I remember seeing advertised the most were the exclusives it got, arcade remakes (the 2000 series including Tempest), and ports of aging PC titles.  Granted it was an awesome console but I really believe the console could have pulled off so much more.  I'm not saying it didn't get any good games but titles like Club Drive really show just how erratic the game library was.  I'm glad that it did get Raiden...that was a much needed title.  I believe if they could have got developers like Midway to sign up the system might have had a better standing.

I had heard that MK3 was being developed for the Jag while the Jaguar was still being marketed. I was waiting for that to be released as well. But, they did not release it. With the marketing scheme Jack Tramiel had, I don't think that even MK3 would have saved the Jaguar. People were tired of Atari by then. Alas…

Edited by BlackCatz40, 10 March 2018 - 12:13 AM.

• Justin and kamakazi20012 like this

#11 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,291 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

I still believe that the Jaguar was a very capable system that could do what we have never seen.  It is capable of performing 3D graphics which was a first for any console at that time and a very strong sound processor.  It only had 2 MB of RAM though so that was the real bottleneck.  It was using image formats common then and now. 

However, a LOT could have been pulled off with the amount of RAM it was given.  EA could have done one of its NFS games, made a modernized M.U.L.E. title, or a SimCity game.  Midway owned Atari's arcade division at the time so it had a large library of games it could have dug into.  And considering that Area 51 was done on a coin-op Jaguar hardware Area 51 could have made it to the system.  Could you imagine if Japanese developers got on board?  Sunsoft, Konami, Capcom, and others?  Basically all the developers did was give it one or two games in every genre imaginable.  Driving, action, adventure, shoot-em ups, arcade, strategy, sports, simulation, just to name a few.

I wasn't tired of Atari by then.  I was actually excited that they were still making game consoles and games.  As much as I love the Jaguar at the time it didn't make sense, nor could I figure out, exactly what they were doing or if they even knew what they were doing from a gamer's point-of-view.  If it was getting old computer ports then who's to say it couldn't get those now?  Someone needs to pick up where Atari left off.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users