Mortal Kombat 3 To Debut On Atari Jaguar - CVG News

Clint Thompson

I vaguely remember something about Sony paying $11 million dollars or somewhere around there to have it released on the Playstation first. It was kind of funny because they pushed for such a fast release that it was bugged with the final character. Not sure what they did to resolve that fiasco. Atari was a small fish and you had sharks like Sony and Nintendo out pushing and swooping up things like Phear and MK3.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

To be honest, I didn't not know of any MK3 game coming to the Jaguar.  The only games I remember seeing advertised the most were the exclusives it got, arcade remakes (the 2000 series including Tempest), and ports of aging PC titles.  Granted it was an awesome console but I really believe the console could have pulled off so much more.  I'm not saying it didn't get any good games but titles like Club Drive really show just how erratic the game library was.  I'm glad that it did get Raiden...that was a much needed title.  I believe if they could have got developers like Midway to sign up the system might have had a better standing.

To be honest, I didn't not know of any MK3 game coming to the Jaguar.  The only games I remember seeing advertised the most were the exclusives it got, arcade remakes (the 2000 series including Tempest), and ports of aging PC titles.  Granted it was an awesome console but I really believe the console could have pulled off so much more.  I'm not saying it didn't get any good games but titles like Club Drive really show just how erratic the game library was.  I'm glad that it did get Raiden...that was a much needed title.  I believe if they could have got developers like Midway to sign up the system might have had a better standing.

I had heard that MK3 was being developed for the Jag while the Jaguar was still being marketed. I was waiting for that to be released as well. But, they did not release it. With the marketing scheme Jack Tramiel had, I don't think that even MK3 would have saved the Jaguar. People were tired of Atari by then. Alas…

Edited by DegasElite

I still believe that the Jaguar was a very capable system that could do what we have never seen.  It is capable of performing 3D graphics which was a first for any console at that time and a very strong sound processor.  It only had 2 MB of RAM though so that was the real bottleneck.  It was using image formats common then and now. 

However, a LOT could have been pulled off with the amount of RAM it was given.  EA could have done one of its NFS games, made a modernized M.U.L.E. title, or a SimCity game.  Midway owned Atari's arcade division at the time so it had a large library of games it could have dug into.  And considering that Area 51 was done on a coin-op Jaguar hardware Area 51 could have made it to the system.  Could you imagine if Japanese developers got on board?  Sunsoft, Konami, Capcom, and others?  Basically all the developers did was give it one or two games in every genre imaginable.  Driving, action, adventure, shoot-em ups, arcade, strategy, sports, simulation, just to name a few.

I wasn't tired of Atari by then.  I was actually excited that they were still making game consoles and games.  As much as I love the Jaguar at the time it didn't make sense, nor could I figure out, exactly what they were doing or if they even knew what they were doing from a gamer's point-of-view.  If it was getting old computer ports then who's to say it couldn't get those now?  Someone needs to pick up where Atari left off.