Six of the cast members from Willy Wonka, 44 years later

Rowsdower70

http://www.today.com/video/willy-wonka-cast-reveal-the-chocolate-river-was-not-actually-chocolate-564274755763

This movie was a family staple.  We had it on VHS, and it would come on TV frequently.  My dad would bring home a gallon of ice cream and a six pack of canned cokes and we'd have coke floats.   I never quite understood why he didn't pick up chocolate bars since that movie makes you crave them like mad. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I have an interesting history with this movie. I saw it, when I was very young, on TV. I liked it, and it made me want to read the book. I read the book, and really enjoyed it. I realized that the movie had butchered so many things from the book, and I didnt enjoy the movie anymore. Later, my parents bought the movie, and I saw the boat ride scene for the first time. It had been cut from the TV showing, and I have no idea why I didn't notice something had been cut, because the scene randomly changes without it. The boat ride scene made me like the movie even less. I remember saying, "What IS this? I don't remember this part!"

A few years later, the Johnny Depp version came out. I watched it, and I was very pleased. It did so well at adapting the book. I watch it all the time. To these days, I scratch my head wondering why so many people like the old one better. There's nothing wrong with liking it better, but I don't really see a real reason for it other than nostalgia.

Nostalgia, and the grandeur and color of the cinematography.  And Gene Wilder's performance.  Jack Albertson's charm.  It's a fun movie.

The newer version is closer to the book...but has none of the charm as the first. 

Nostalgia, and the grandeur and color of the cinematography. And Gene Wilder's performance. Jack Albertson's charm. It's a fun movie.

The newer version is closer to the book...but has none of the charm as the first.

Personally, I find the newer version more fun. Even as a kid, I didn't buy at all that the factory was so amazing in the old version. Everything looked fake, and do you remember the chocolate river that looked like muddy water? With the new film, it looked real, and more magical.

I don't think that either Depp or Wilder portrayed Wonka very well. There's a version of Wonka that I imagine in my head when I read the book, and THAT is the perfect Wonka. I guess you could say that Wilder played Wonka as too old, and Depp played him as too young, so together, they added up to the right character.

I also don't like the Slugworth Subplot. It implies that Wonka gave the kids all those tests on purpose, and wanted them to get disqualified. I don't think the book Wonka actually set up tests. I think it was just a coincidence that there were things that tempted the kids. Plus, Augustus got disqualified before the Gobstoppers were handed out, so it wasn't a fair test.

And this is the big one. In the old movie, we never find out if the kids that disobeyed died or not. Before I read the book, I thought they died. Apparently, a lot of people who haven't read the book think that too. In the book and newer movie, we see that the kids survived, which makes it less traumatizing. Couldn't they have wrapped that plot point up somehow in the old movie?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just nit-picky.

Nope, not nit-picky.  Movies are art, and everybody has the right to interpret them however they wish.  You may be right that us older folks like the original because that's what we grew up with.  The cool part here is that the movie inspired you to read the book, which is better than any movie could ever be IMO. 

I really like that you are making your points with facts and observations on the movies and book.  Always good to have discussions with smart and knowledgeable people!

Nostalgia, and the grandeur and color of the cinematography.  And Gene Wilder's performance.  Jack Albertson's charm.  It's a fun movie.

I'm with you, Rick.   The first one is a classic, the second one ...well, I'm harsher than most I guess.  I thought it was terrible.   The characters were lifeless and it just felt like a mess.  

From the moment the first one starts with the credits and that familiar music, I know I'm in for a treat.   Wilder was just brilliant.   

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Archived