ASTEROIDS Contest -- Ends Mon, September 15, 2014

Enter the Asteroids High Score Contest! Post the highest score in Asteroids for the Atari 2600 and win a brand NEW Atari 2600 Joystick, AND a brand NEW SEALED copy of Asteroids, complete with a collector-quality crystal clear BOX PROTECTOR! Contest ends Monday, September 15th.

CONTEST RULES

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real Atari hardware, dedicated console, or emulation, using any joystick or keyboard, following the official game settings delineated below. 

Emulators & Dedicated Consoles: Yes, we ARE allowing for dedicated consoles (Jakks Pacific joysticks, Atari Flashback consoles) in this contest. One reason for doing this is Inclusion of new players. There are many Atari aficionados who do not yet have access to real hardware and we want to be as inclusive of them as possible. The whole point of having contests is to foster the love of classic games, encourage new players and keep Atari fun for everybody. A second reason is Strategy. Yes, there may be an unfair advantage due to the difference in technology. But there may be a disadvantage too. The contest is a game, and part of formulating your strategy is determining if you'd have better luck on a dedicated console, emulator, or a real 2600. All of these options are available to you. Apples and Oranges differ, but in the grand scheme of things this is a food fight and it's up to you to select your weapon of choice. It is a strategic decision to choose which way of playing will help you achieve your best score. However, you must keep to playing the standard 2600 version of Asteroids. No other versions of the game will be accepted.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! It goes without saying that no use of cheats, cartridge frying, emulation enhancements, photoshop, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

Scoring: Your scores must have been made between August 1, 2014 and the end of this contest. Posting old scores is not permitted.

Submissions: Scores must be posted in this forum, along with an attached photo of your score for verification. The deadline for posting high scores is 9am (PST) Monday, September 15th, 2014.

GAME SETTINGS

Left Difficulty: A (Increased Difficulty)

Right Difficulty: A (Increased Difficulty)

Game Variation: 8 (Players: ONE,  Speed: FAST,  Extra Ships: NO,  Special: HYPERSPACE)

To avoid a never-ending game, we are playing Asteroids with increased difficulty settings. Difficulty Switches are set to A, and the selected Game Variation is GAME 8. This will set the game up for one player, with fast speed, hyperspace, and no additional lives. This puts us on more of an even keel as skilled players are far less likely to continue indefinitely, facing an armada of UFOs and without the ability to rack up bonus lives. 

POSTING YOUR HIGH SCORE

Scores must be posted in this forum, along with a photo of your score for verification. To post a photo, click the "MORE REPLY OPTIONS" button next to the "Post" button when posting your response in this Forum. You will be brought to a new screen with more reply options available to you. On the bottom left you will see a paper clip next to the words "ATTACH FILES". Click the "CHOOSE FILES" button to select photos of your high score from your computer and attach them to your post. When finished, click the "ADD REPLY" button to submit your score. The deadline for posting high scores is 9am (PST) Monday, September 15th, 2014.

PRIZES

HIGHEST SCORE - ASTEROIDS

The highest posted score in this forum will win a brand new sealed copy of Asteroids for the Atari 2600. The game is sealed in the box, and comes with a crystal clear box protector to keep your game nice. You will also win a brand new 2600-style Joystick! 

RULES FOR ROLLING THE SCORE

Rolling Counts: We count rolling scores. If you can roll the score, keep on playing as far as you can possibly go. Keep track of your rolls and post your best score. There are no bonuses added to your score in this contest, we are playing on raw scores.

Be Honest: We're operating on the honor system. I trust that you are all submitting verifiable scores, and we'll be able to spot a Photoshopped image. We're playing for prizes so honesty matters. Dishonest players will be disqualified.

Photos & Recording: Posting a YouTube video of your game goes a long way to substantiating a rolled score. A photo of your score is all that's required, but we strongly encourage recording your gameplay if you can. Especially if you have ridiculous skills and can claim to have rolled the game eight times. We want our contests to be open to everyone, but it's important to be open and honest about scoring.

TO OUR WINNERS: Should you be the high score champ, we’ll send you a PM asking for your mailing address. We'll ship your prize overnight via FedEx Air so you will receive your prize the very next morning! Unfortunately we cannot ship to PO Boxes.

If you don't win this time, don't give up. This is only one of MANY contests to come!

GOOD LUCK PLAYERS!

post-9-0-32140800-1407193974_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-95825000-1407193977_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-60437800-1407193982_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-74745300-1407193986_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-61264400-1407194013_thumb.jpg

Greenween - So awesome you're going after that Asteroids score with gusto!

You can wait until the last day to post your score, if that's the tact you'd like to take. Feel free to post as many scores as you want though, or to share your strategies with the group. If you score 12k tonight and post it, then break 18k tomorrow, you can post as many high scores as you'd like, and only your highest high score will count! The important thing is that you have fun, and hopefully you'll win another prize in the contest. Good luck!

That's a good sign that game variation 8 is really tough. It should be tough. The more challenging the game, the more even the chances. Asteroids is one of those games that people can play forever. They can roll the score and just keep on going. Variation 8 was chosen on purpose to prevent this from happening. Plus, rolling the score can be a tricky thing to judge. Glad everyone is enjoying this though, and congratulations on your win Greenween!

Hey guys, this is the absolute best score I can do on these settings. 23,020. Feels like I gamed all weekend for this score. I thought I could do better but these settings are really really hard! Hats off to you greenween, you're a true master. The ironic thing is I really think I could have done a little better if I had a better controller. Maybe my score will be good enough to hold on to the 2nd place score and greenween will let me have his joystick!

post-19-0-34356000-1410743719_thumb.jpg

Archived