WANTED: Feedback for Alpha Race for Atari 7800

dauber

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Alpha Race on the 7800? As it is loosely based on Omega Race, thoughts on Omega Race are welcome as well.

This game will be covered on Episode 3.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

I just wanted to share that if anyone wants to try out Alpha Race, the final version of the ROM was made freely available by the author via Atari Age in the development thread.  Indeed, this is the the case with MANY of the 7800 homebrew titles.  If you don't follow the 7800 homebrew scene or don't have a 7800, I highly encourage you to try these great games out via SD cart or emulation.  If you try a game and really enjoy it, consider supporting the dev through a cart purchase.

Say, uhmm....I'm getting a lot of "never heard of it" responses here, and almost equally blank stares at AtariAge.

I got my copy of Alpha Race from Good Deal Games, as AtariAge never sold it. (I think only GDG and, independently, SiO2 were the only ones who ever sold it to date.)

With those two things in mind...should I perhaps cover a different game for episode 3 and put Alpha Race off to later (in hopes of a reissue), or just stick with my original plan?

That's kind of what I was leaning toward. Besides -- the ROM can be downloaded from the discussion thread on AtariAge, so it can be done either in emulation or via some kind of flash cart...(Plus, I already have the main body of the episode recorded. :)  )

Edited by dauber

I tried it.  I really hate to be negative, so I'll keep my comments short.

It's a copy of Omega Race.  It's choppy and slow.  The crazy physics of Omega Race -- flying around, bouncing off the walls, using momentum -- it's completely missing here.  Omega Race on the Commodore VIC-20 is much better. 

Again, I apologize.  I just really didn't care for it at all.