Ivory Tower Collections - Tech, Game and More Videos!

CrossBow

Ever wanted better video output from your Intellivision console? Maybe? There are few options for video upgrades on the Intellivision with pretty much only composite solutions openly available to the masses. However, all of the various composite kits have their plus and minus. Some over saturate some of the colors and they look wrong, others aren't totally compatible with all TVs etc. There was an RGB output solution a few years back but it too had some compatibility issues with different scalers and converters and isn't commonly available. Today's video, ITC#75 takes a look at more recent option for the Intellivision that provides us with YUV or component video output using a dual purpose RGB/YUV board designed by AtariAge member 'The_Crayon_King'. His RGB board solution is a nice small PCB that makes installation quite versatile. While the RGB output of Crayon's board still gave me compatibility issues, the YUV output from this earlier design board of his has worked quite well for me. I go over the details of the board and go over the complete installation process of installing one Crayon's boards into an Intellivision model 2 console using the YUV output. The_Crayon_King has already developed a newer version of this board that provides much improved RGB compatibility with devices like the Framemeister and OSSC. However, the new board still features YUV output and the design of the newer board is close to this older one with pretty much the exact same install process being needed. 

Thank you for watching and I hope this helps others looking to install one of these older kits or one of his newer ones when they are available.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

ITC#76 went public this morning and goes through the process of installing another RGB solution for Intellivision systems. This one is from a cool French designer by the name of Yannick. He approached me back in November of last year to test his RGB board design and I was happy to do so. Since then, some changes have been made to the design to improve compatibility with scaler devices like the OSSC and newly released RetroTink5x. 

Since then I've installed a few of these in not only my own Intellivisions but also a few of my clients as well and have gotten good feedback. The installation isn't that difficult as it is just soldering wires from the RGB board to the Color IC chip to tap the needed video signals and then soldering your wiring to whatever RGB output jack or connection you want to use.

I have a few of these boards on hand that I can sell for those looking to do this themselves and can get a pre-order list started to have another batch of them made up later if needed.

I've attached my basic install PDF guide as well for those that prefer to have something they can print out to have handy for reference. Like myself...

Yannick_RGB_Installation_INTV1.pdf

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 7/9/2021 at 7:20 AM, TrekMD said:

Oh, cool.  I may do this.  Does it work with all the Inty models?

Yes both of the RGB boards I've featured work with either model. Not sure about the INTV III and super Pro systems as I think those use an wired up add on board in place of the U10 color chip, but I would have to crack my INTV III open to see. I honestly just leave it in the box because to me, it is a cool looking system in the black and silver trim, but the controllers seem to be worse and it has an overall cheap feel to it compared to the original models.

In the case of the Intellivision 2, due to how little space there is inside the console, about the only option I have that I can do, is to remove the RF modulator completely and install the 9 pin mini din in place of where the RF was. But that does limit it only the RGB output at that point. Also...this is very important and I only recently learned this..

All of these RGB upgrades only work for Intellivision games through the console. It will NOT work with a system changer for playing 2600 games. As a result, if you were to have the RF removed, the system changer would not longer work as it wouldn't provide you with any video output. 

So like a lot of other consoles with AV mods that have expansion devices for playing 2600 games, it will kill that feature in the process. 

21 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I have a Sears Super Video Arcade (the Intellivision version).  I wonder if the mods would work for it.  The console's design is a bit different outwardly when compared to the original Inty.

My last video on the Yannick' RGB was installed into an SVA version. Heck that is what I use as my daily driver Intellivision. Ugly duckling of a console, but man I just like it.

But yes, the Sears Intelly is just a standard model 1 2609 that has a different controller tray and wire harnesses for the controllers. The rest of the guys are nearly identical. The Sears units due feature different main ROM chips which is why the fonts on the games look a little different on the Sears system and why some title screens are missing the Mattel Electronics Presents on them. But aside from those differences, the Sears units are 100% the same board layouts and designs. 

In fact, I will soon have an RGB modded Sears Intellivision for sale. It actually has a standard Mattel 2609 board in it, but the rest is all Sears aesthetics.

ITC#77 released this morning and focuses not on anything technical this time, but checking out and playing a new game released for the Atari 8-bit computers. This is the first video I've done that involved the 8-bit Atari computer line and I hope this is a good one to start.

Attack of the Petscii robots was designed and programmed by David Murray, better known at The8-bitguy from his YouTube channel. David has released other games over the past few years but mostly for the Commodore computer systems. 'Petscii Robots' I believe is his first release for the Atari 8-bit line and I hope it is a trend that continues. The game is quite fun and much more challenging than initial impression might have you believe. Many of the other maps or levels you can play on are very clever in their design and variety.

In this video, I go through the contents of what you receive in a physical purchase of the game and show some game play with commentary explaining how the game is played. I then include direct capture footage from my 130xe without commentary to better see and hear what the game sounds like. If the game looks interesting to you, I would encourage you to think about purchasing a version of it to play as it not only helps David of course, but might entice him to create more games for the Atari community. There are talks of other ports in the works including for the 5200! That really needs to happen and I think the game would be a great fit on the 5200.

Hoping this might spur some action on Albert's part at AA, I've gone ahead and released ITC# 78 this morning on the process to installing the new BIOS upgrade for the 7800. This one in the video specifically is for the new BIOS developed by Mike Saarna and Bob DeCrescenzo. However, it is the same process for any custom or modified BIOS that you might wish to use in your 7800.

Here is quick list of some of the features of this new BIOS:

- Allows for both NTSC and PAL 7800 games to be played (Note that many PAL games still won't play properly on NTSC 7800 consoles)

- Improved homebrew compatibility on PAL 7800 consoles

- New logo graphic startup screen (Can be bypassed by holding PAUSE while powering on the system)

- Features 'Kiloparsec' a new built in game designed and programmed by Bob DeCrescenzo!

Hopefully these will be available for sale in the very near future as I believe all of the parts required are done and approved and just need to be printed and packaged up.

I'm not sure if I have ever mentioned my ITC Shorts playlist videos here. My shorts are not that short, but are shorter than most of my other videos. They basically cover some simple tech tips and troubleshooting that I've encountered or discovered over the years.

In my latest ITC Shorts#16, I go over the process to installing one of my 7800 Chroma fix boards. Originally discovered and designed by marauder666, and juansolo over in the AtariAge forums, I designed a simple PCB to have made up and allow for easy installation into new or existing UAV installs. The Chroma fix is a simple and therefore elegant solution that helps correct for some of the color skewing and bleed that can occur with the stark contrasting colors in 7800 games. The results were immediate to my eyes on my personal 7800 and have provided good results in the 7800s I've installed it into. That said, the amount of 'fix' this does will vary from console to console so it might not make much of a difference to some on their consoles. But one thing for sure, is that it doesn't hurt it to add it in!

I have a few of the through hole versions available now like you see in the video available for installation and have a batch of SMD versions that are even smaller on the way. Those SMD versions will likely be available to purchase online through some of the more well known retro gaming DIY mod parts and shops.

And here is a peek at the smaller surface mount chip version of the board. That main chip only measures about 5 x 4.5mm in size. So this smaller board is designed to be installed anywhere within the consoles confines and not for sandwiching on top of the UAV as the through hole version does. It will likely be the smaller SMD boards that will be available for sale online in the very not too distant future.

ChromaFix_V2_top.jpg.69360784a141b92e8474ebb9df1cf71e.jpg

Edited by CrossBow

I did business with a lot people and purchased a lot of stuff in 2021 and by far the best service I got in 2021 and the most enjoyable experience I've ever had was from @CrossBow at Ivory Tower Collections.  This guy had the best communication, and went far above and beyond the call of duty.  I've not yet had the chance to complete the video on the upgrade yet, but I'll be sure to let everyone know in the video how pleased I was with him and his service.  If anyone has ever considered doing business with him, he gets my highest recommendation. 

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Thank you very much @- Ω - for those kind words! I often worry that I might not maintain the right comms with some clients because especially over the past year, the 'business' has picked up quite a bit and it seems there is always a console or 3 here to receive services. It is one of the reasons I've not posted as many videos as in the past. My priorities are my clients before YT vids... so if there are systems to be worked on, then the vids play backseat. Having said that, I am going to make a video soon that has long be needed I think and more or less requested I do. 

Thank you again though and I really appreciate it!

Happy New Year Atari.io family! ITC# 79 was released this morning and I hope is interesting and useful for those looking to possibly install a UAV into a Sears Video Arcade II and/or Japanese 2800 console. Internally these consoles are very similar to the 4 switch design, at least in the main logic area. In this video I go over the process of how I found the points to attach to, go through the process of replacing the voltage regulator with a higher output variant and why it is needed, and show you what happens when you leave the 820Ω resistor in place that you are likely to find attached on pins 6 & 9 of the TIA on the bottom of the PCB and why it needs to be removed. As always, thank you for watching and support. Let's all work together and look towards a wonderful 2022!

I just realized I never posted about ITC#80! In this video I actually discuss one of more recently acquired MIDI sound module devices. This time, my MT-300. Similar to the MT-200 but with a different instrument set for tones with the ability to handle many more voices at once compared to the earlier modules. It has now taken its place and currently replacing the MT-200 as the GS/GM module for vintage computer games. Enjoy!

ITC#81 was not planned by any means as is evident by the less than stellar camera and audio work in this one. But, an oppurtunity came up where I thought it would make for a good quick tech video and so in this one, I go through the troubleshooting steps for yet another Atari 5200 controller issue that was not the fault of the controller, but once again one of the pesky MUX controller chips. Hopefully this proves helpful for others if they should encounter a similar issue with their Atari 5200 and controllers.

I can't recall a time when there were so many RGB options available for a single console. But here in 2022 AtariAge's own 'The_Crayon_King' has now his 3rd major revision of his Intellivision RGB solution. This latest version of his is quite impressive. It not only provides great RGB output that has thus far proven compatible with all the popular video scaling devices out there, but offers two color palette options, and because he could and did... His latest board also offers composite and s-video outputs as well. This makes it a very versatile RGB board and great for use with multiple displays while playing.

ITC#82 goes through the process I've been doing when installing Crayon's latest version RGB board known as the 'Orange Peel'. While I go through pretty much the entire process, not all connections being soldered up are shown as I figure if you see me solder 2 wires, then you know what the rest of them looked like. I do provide overlay graphics of the wiring and connections used. This video was done using a 9-pin mini din for Sega RGB cable use, but I do have a link for a PDF installation guide that has diagrams for both 8-pin and 9-pin mini din plus the composite and s-video. So far YouTube only has up to 1080p ready to view but there should be a 4k version in the next day or so once YouTube has finished the conversion. Thank you for watching and I hope you find it useful in your Intellivision console upgrades.

INTV_OP_RGB_Install_Guide_Model1.pdf

Edited by CrossBow
Added revised PDF guide

ITC#84 was released this morning and focuses once again on the Intellivision II console. This time I go through the process I use for installing one of Kevin's a.k.a. 'The Crayon King' latest RGB board, known as the Orange Peel, into the Intellivision II console. As has been stated before, CK's newest board is really impressive providing excellent RGB output that is compatible with all current known scaling/line doubler devices in addition to great composite and s-video output as well should that be wanted. In this video I detail the steps I use to re-purpose the channel select switch to be the palette switch made possibly by the removal of the RF modulator. Additionally, the RF removed allows for a nice place to install the PCB mount 9 and 8-pin mini din jacks I have on hand allowing for a no cut RGB upgrade on the model 2 Intellivision.

A printable PDF guide is linked in the video description to help bring some clarity to the install process in the model 2 Intellivision console. I've also attached it to this post. Thanks for watching and enjoy!

INTV2_OP_RGB_Install_Guide.pdf

It has been over 6 months and we are now into a new year. But I released ITC#85 this morning as the first video for the new year and hopefully for more videos on the way in the future.

In this video I go over the BackBit Pro multi-system cartridge designed, created, and sold by Evie Salomon (Sp?) in her BackBit.io store. As the name implies it is an SD flash cartridge designed to be used with multiple game consoles and computers. With over 20 different systems now supported by the BackBit Pro and other features it offers, I thought it would be good to shine some light on this wonderful accessory. Atari 5200 support and adapters were released a little over a month ago, and just today Evie has announced support and even pre-orders for the new 7800 adapter including POKEY audio emulation.

I go into details about the cart from what I know of it and demonstrate its use with the Intellivision and Atari 5200 adapters. Thanks again for watching and happy New Year everyone!

When it comes to the Colecovision console, there really hasn't been that many different controller options that were available and some of the more recent ones that do exist are either quite expensive or only a couple buttons which limits the controllers ability and would require having to use a standard controller to start you game and then swap out back to a new one to play. This is actually quite bad for the controller logic IC chips as they are susceptible to ESD damage that can be caused by plugging controllers in the console while powered on. 
ITC#86 will show you a new controller option from Jimmy over at Ruggers Customs that uses the Sega 6 button controller common to the Genesis/Megadrive model 2 that has quite a few of the most needed keypad buttons mapped to the controller. As it uses an already great controller design and mixes it with a new PCB designed to work with the Colecovision, the Rugger Pad might just be the affordable controller you have been looking for when playing Colecovision games.

Edited by CrossBow