"Unofficial" Squad Challenge - Video Pinball (Atari 2600)

nosweargamer

It's been a couple months since we've done one, and I've missed doing them!

I also figure that the admins have been pretty busy, so I am "unofficially" starting a new Squad Challenge! (Justin and the crew are free to make this official and edit this if they wish)

I'm thrilled to pick Video Pinball! I'm surprised we haven't done it already. It is widely available and shows up in nearly every Atari 2600 compilation.

(unofficial)awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Video Pinball
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 1, Difficulty Switch in the B position

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 31st, 2018

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 3rd through July 31st, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 1. Difficulty Switch in the B postion

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari....d-how-to-play/ 

post-303-0-75596600-1530649350_thumb.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

If for some reason you are not familiar with the game, you can check out my review to learn how to play and maximize your score.

PROTIP: Learning to use the nudge is HUGE in gaining big points!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

haven't really played this since when it first came out.

got it plugged in to my console & gave it a run (no pic) tilted once ... I used to beable to keep in in the left upper lane for quite awhile

after tilt you still get your bonus it seemed so "Push that machine through the wall "

yeah busy summer for me too so will try to get some kind of score up

thanks NSG :)

gallery_823_11_525911.jpg

getting closer to the score NSG put on his video ( that one doesn't count though :P  )

still have to read the manual for the proper nomenclature but a good strategy for this challenge ... get extra ball as soon as possible .then juice the bumpers ... I am wondering if the lock-in at 9 or revert back to 1 ( only got 'em up to 8 so far ) then nudge the left bonus lane til your hand is cramped !!!

I have been ape-flipping this one :donkey_kong: and I know it caused atleast ONE drain :wreck-it-ralph_anim: .

So I finally did it! I got the bumper values to 9 and hit the top three targets afterward...twice! And you know what happens???? Nothing. Well, the screen flashes and you hear neat sounds, but the bumpers stay at 9 and don't increase in value. Oh well. At lease it helped me pass 500K!

post-303-0-05841500-1531235351_thumb.jpg

The horror. I hit 550,000 with the first ball. Thought I could take a break, filled the wife's car with Freon and found out my game was ended.

Wow! That stinks! But great score!!!

The horror. I hit 550,000 with the first ball. Thought I could take a break, filled the wife's car with Freon and found out my game was ended.

Wow! That stinks! But great score!!!

certainly is a great score .... I think the game ended so the color-cycling thing would kick-in & prevent burn-in on them old TV's ( new at the time)

of course if I walked by .... I have a rule.... if a ball is in a shooter lane & nobody is around I will play the rest of the game

Thanks to you guys pushing me, I did something I never did before: I ROLLED THE SCORE!  :spot:

Lol, playing through the viewfinder was way too hard. If I try again, pictures will have to do.

I think I found a bug in the game!

If you are on ball 3 and get the "extra ball" (with the 2 Atari symbols and the X)....if you tilt....no extra ball.  The game ends.  I'll have to try that again, as maybe it was just a fluke. 

Not a bug...the manual says this is what it's supposed to do :(

Edited by RickR

So I made it to around 700k after getting the multipliers to 9 and bouncing up and down in the left lane for 60 times, maybe? I knew I had to get the ball back to the plunger to video this, and I did! Sorry for the cheap camera, dog barking, tv in the other room. LOL 

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."