Favorite XE Game

33 minutes ago, Justin said:

Jack had a good opportunity to beat Nintendo if he cared about GAMES. Atari sure as hell could've come in a solid 2nd at the end of the 8-bit era and be prepped to dominate the 16-bit generation. Stripping sound out of games and not encouraging third party development and not advertising surrendered the market yet again. This is the most pedantic frustrating thing ever.

AGREED!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

So @Video 61, what are the things that you think went RIGHT with the XE? Would you agree to the following:

• Crystal Castles
  • Mario Bros.
  • XE is everything the 5200 should have been

What else?

I also would've loved to have seen updated versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. around that time, since they had the license. 

XE good things (kind of):

• I like the redesigned grey carts with the grooves on the side.  They look good, have a nice large sticker with box art, and the size is compact.  Nice!  I do not like that they yet again forgot the end-labels.  Another thing they fixed on the 7800.
  • The XE blue boxes for games look really good IMO.  A good fix for the gigantic (for no reason) 400/800 era boxes. 
  • I like that Atari licensed games from other firms.  It's cool to get a Blue Max cart (for example) instead of having to load a disk or tape. 
  • I like that it's a more elegant design than the C64 ever was.  An easy to use cart slot.  Reset/Option/Select/Start buttons.  Disks that load automatically instead of having to type in LOAD "*",8,1. 

9 hours ago, Justin said:

So @Video 61, what are the things that you think went RIGHT with the XE? Would you agree to the following:

• Crystal Castles
  • Mario Bros.
  • XE is everything the 5200 should have been

What else?

I also would've loved to have seen updated versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. around that time, since they had the license. 

hi justin,

atari promised they would update all 400/800/xl games up to the 64k XEGS standard. instead they either put stickers on the 400/800/xl game boxes saying will play on the XEGS, usually a lime green sticker, and they put eastern front in a XEGS blue box, but still used the 400/800 cart shell, and put a blue XEGS sticker on the cart.

in the case of donkey kong they put the game in  XEGS cart shell,  and a XEGS blue box, but it was still 16k.

that was a towering achievement for jack. look at the few cents he spent on boxes, labels, and stickers!

meanwhile some more 64k excellence, notice the splash screen on a 8-bit with just 64k.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

6 hours ago, RickR said:

XE good things (kind of):

• I like the redesigned grey carts with the grooves on the side.  They look good, have a nice large sticker with box art, and the size is compact.  Nice!  I do not like that they yet again forgot the end-labels.  Another thing they fixed on the 7800.
  • The XE blue boxes for games look really good IMO.  A good fix for the gigantic (for no reason) 400/800 era boxes. 
  • I like that Atari licensed games from other firms.  It's cool to get a Blue Max cart (for example) instead of having to load a disk or tape. 
  • I like that it's a more elegant design than the C64 ever was.  An easy to use cart slot.  Reset/Option/Select/Start buttons.  Disks that load automatically instead of having to type in LOAD "*",8,1. 

hi rickr,

agreed with everything.

the reason for the out sized boxes on 400/800 games was because the carts were so small. people reacted to the small size vs. the 2600 and said how could that be a better looking game in so small a cart compared to the 2600.

so they stuck the game in a very large box to show people how big and powerful the 400-800's were. i remember people opening up the boxes expecting some gigantic cart, only to see a little cart and a look of i have been screwed.

this was long before people got used to ever shrinking more powerful electronics.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

4 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I have "Into the Eagle's Nest," for the XE. That is a VERY difficult game, but I like it. It's also very rare, too. Great overhead perspective in the game, too. It shows what is going on. :O)

hi,

its a awesome game. the programmers actually created a modern version of the 400/800 castle wolfenstein.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

4 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Also, I am a WWII history buff. You see, my grandfather and great-uncle were at Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. Makes me proud that I have that history in my family. ^_^

as you should be!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

3 hours ago, Justin said:

what are the things that you think went RIGHT with the XE?

If talking about just the XE computers 65 and 130 I agree with RickR about the carts.  Those were a step up up from the conventional Atari computer carts but, I agree, missed opportunity to add end labels.  The only two aspects I disliked about the XE was the mushy keyboard and the location of the cart port.  They really showed how they felt about video games on that design by literally putting the cart slot on the back burner.

The XEGS is a nice hybrid and the XE model I would experience first but long after Atari's burial.  I do like the fact I have a console or a computer which ever I need when I need it.  Again, though, the keyboard is mushy which I can't stand. I like to feel the click or some sort of resistance.  The XE gun I have learned is not an accurate device.  It's horizontal aiming is off.  But the cart games that don't need a keyboard are a nice way to enjoy/experience some of the Atari 8-bit games.

I like both of them because of what they are, not who made them.  Those are solid A8 contenders but for quality I would stick with the 800 or XL line personally.  The XEGS, however, is the better option of the XE line.

34 minutes ago, Video 61 said:

I have "Into the Eagle's Nest," for the XE.

I'd like to try that XE version.  I've sampled the ST version and it is fun but the Atari 8-bit computers have slightly better animation than the ST sometimes so I would very much like to see the XE version of that game in person.  

7 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

BugHunt

It's not a bad game, it is fun, I sacrificed my BugHunt.  I had fun with it but I can see why that game wouldn't sell the XEGS when the NES had Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley.  Those games were more colorful comparing.  

37 minutes ago, Video 61 said:

Also, I am a WWII history buff. You see, my grandfather and great-uncle were at Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. Makes me proud that I have that history in my family.

I'm proud of my Grandfather.  Unfortunately America is falling apart right now.  At times it seems like everything those guys died to protect is being torn down.

2 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Another game that I like is, actually, "BugHunt." The graphics are pretty good. Sure, the game play could be better. But, I thought it looked good anyway. Veteran programmer Robert Zdybel designed the game.

hi,

its a good game. i used to know him. he was working on another light gun game when jack pulled the plug.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500