Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Atari 5200 Guy

Favorite XE Game

Recommended Posts

Thanks to Lance I finally found my first favorite XE game...Pit Stop.  It took me a few tries to get the hang of it but once I did I had a lot of fun with it.  I only did a single race on Monaco but finally finished a 3-lap race without over fueling or blowing a tire.  The pit takes some getting use to but it is effective.

I did notice a small flaw.  If you pick the same track again the sides of the track that is animated stops working.  I'll have to take a pic to show you guys sometime if I can catch it.  This game is fun!  I'd recommend it.  Now I'd like to see Pit Stop II.  And I'm still after Solar Star...that one is top on my list.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Thanks to Lance I finally found my first favorite XE game...Pit Stop.  It took me a few tries to get the hang of it but once I did I had a lot of fun with it.  I only did a single race on Monaco but finally finished a 3-lap race without over fueling or blowing a tire.  The pit takes some getting use to but it is effective.

I did notice a small flaw.  If you pick the same track again the sides of the track that is animated stops working.  I'll have to take a pic to show you guys sometime if I can catch it.  This game is fun!  I'd recommend it.  Now I'd like to see Pit Stop II.  And I'm still after Solar Star...that one is top on my list.

 

 

hi michael,

 

 its a awesome game, way ahead of its time. i have the cart images for it. stupid atari had the rights to it, did not release it as a xegs game, instead the relied on pole position one, not two, but one.

pitstop two is a split screen game, cool game. used to carry it. never found it ataris stuff though.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

My favorite game on the XE is probably Crystal Castles. I like Bentley's antics in that game. I once, as a kid, made him my imaginary friend. It was a hoot. :O)

hi steve,

 

 ditto, but also include airball, into the eagles nest, mario bros, crime busters, crossbow, necromancer, ace of aces, the cream of the XEGS cart crop.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Video 61 said:

hi michael,

 

 its a awesome game, way ahead of its time. i have the cart images for it. stupid atari had the rights to it, did not release it as a xegs game, instead the relied on pole position one, not two, but one.

pitstop two is a split screen game, cool game. used to carry it. never found it ataris stuff though.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Why?  It could have been converted to the 5200.  And 7800!  That game would have done great in cart form.  I'd like to see the cart version because the disk version has a flaw.  In the game, not the disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Video 61 said:

hi steve,

 

 ditto, but also include airball, into the eagles nest, mario bros, crime busters, crossbow, necromancer, ace of aces, the cream of the XEGS cart crop.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Then only one of those I know is Mario. The others sound like fun games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Why?  It could have been converted to the 5200.  And 7800!  That game would have done great in cart form.  I'd like to see the cart version because the disk version has a flaw.  In the game, not the disk.

hi michael,

 

 i think its the jack thing again. someday i will burn some. i am not even sure they work, i never tried them.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Then only one of those I know is Mario. The others sound like fun games.

hi michael,

 

 i forgot to add star raiders II, awesome game.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Video 61 said:

hi michael,

 

 i forgot to add star raiders II, awesome game.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

You mean Last Starfighter?  Had Star Raiders II from you before.  Great game.  Beat it.  Would not mind having it again.  But I'm after disk-based games before those prices go up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

You mean Last Starfighter?  Had Star Raiders II from you before.  Great game.  Beat it.  Would not mind having it again.  But I'm after disk-based games before those prices go up.

hi,

 

 typical jack, never wanted to pay royalties, but even with the name change, awesome game. here is into the eagles nest. the XEGS had the horse power to contend, you can see it here,

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite games for the Atari 8-bit computers:

  • Star Raiders.  Classic.  The first commercial 3-D shooter, the first "open-world" game.  I'd call this my #2 favorite game of all-time.
  • Blue Max - the only isometric game I actually enjoy.  And bombing stuff is fun.  
  • Archon - the original battle chess.
  • MULE - Brilliance.  It's fun to play against the computer.  But things get really interesting if you have another person (or three) to play against.
  • Jumpman Jr.  - So many levels.  Such clever level designs.
  • Summer Games - Consider it a collection of mini-games.  
  • Dr. J vs. Larry Bird One on One.  A brilliantly simple control scheme that just plain works.  Plus, I like to dunk.
  • Rescue on Fractalus and Ballblazer.  Lucasfilm made great games.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never played Rescue on Fractalus before but I am a fan of Ballblazer on the 7800.  That's where I first discovered that one.  Thunderfox is one XE game I've been trying to hunt down but it's soo expensive.  Maybe someday.

Star Raiders is my top favorite on the 5200 and it was my first pick when I picked up an 800 back in 2005.  Instant classic and my #1 favorite game of all-time.

MULE I played on a C64 first with a setup that was given to me.  Every game was pirated LOL.  I parted with it.  It didn't interest me as much as the Atari 8-bits did.  So hopefully I can find it on the Atari 8-bits someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BallBlazer on the 8-bits is a special game.  Have you ever tried it on C64 or the NES?  It's TERRIBLE!  The Atari 8-bit is the only one of those three that could do the 3d scrolling so smoothly and quickly.  Clearly, the 5200 could too (same hardware) and also the 7800.  Playing this game when it first came out was mind-blowing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RickR said:

BallBlazer on the 8-bits is a special game.  Have you ever tried it on C64 or the NES?  It's TERRIBLE!  The Atari 8-bit is the only one of those three that could do the 3d scrolling so smoothly and quickly.  Clearly, the 5200 could too (same hardware) and also the 7800.  Playing this game when it first came out was mind-blowing. 

Yes...I still remember how I first got Ballblazer.  That was one 7800 cart I did not get new.  It was complete but not new.  Close to Mountain Home, Arkansas was a small store called J&S Variety.  The store would get returned items by the truckloads from Sears, Penny's, and similar places.  What wasn't completely damaged was put up for sale on the shelves...others would sit to try to repair with another one like them...especially electronics.  That's where my stereo setup when I was in high school came from...most of it anyway.  All but two pieces was Garrard equipment.

Anywho I found Ballblazer by accident sitting on a shelf looking through stereo equipment.  It was sitting on top of a 10-band graphic EQ, box all mangled, but otherwise complete.  $1 price tag was on the box.  The nice thing about places like that was seeing the word "Atari" on products in my area automatically devalued a video game or any video game related merchandise.  When I got home and put the cart in I wasn't really expecting much.  What I got was probably one of the best games on the 7800, period.  Playing that game on a high skill level proved to be a fun challenge.  On the 7800 Ballblazer is my #2 favorite game, Asteroids is my #1.  

I never knew the NES had it...I know the SNES had something similar called Space Football that I had fun with but never could find it to buy  I also never owned a C64 when it mattered so I have no knowledge of that side of computers.  The C64 I had was in 2005.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RickR said:

BallBlazer on the 8-bits is a special game.  Have you ever tried it on C64 or the NES?  It's TERRIBLE!  The Atari 8-bit is the only one of those three that could do the 3d scrolling so smoothly and quickly.  Clearly, the 5200 could too (same hardware) and also the 7800.  Playing this game when it first came out was mind-blowing. 

I first got Ballblazer in the Fall of 1995, well after its "sell by" date had expired 😉 This was Atari 7800 Ballblazer. In the Fall of 1995 I had just bought the first PlayStation which was brand new at the time. It was absolutely mind-blowing to me at the time that the Atari 7800 could play pseudo-polygon games that I thought at the time looked closer to a PlayStation game or a Jaguar game than an NES game. A better comparison would be to the Mode 7 graphics on the SNES. I was just blown away by what my little Atari could do, even a decade after that game was first designed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, RickR said:

My favorite games for the Atari 8-bit computers:

  • Star Raiders.  Classic.  The first commercial 3-D shooter, the first "open-world" game.  I'd call this my #2 favorite game of all-time.
  • Blue Max - the only isometric game I actually enjoy.  And bombing stuff is fun.  
  • Archon - the original battle chess.
  • MULE - Brilliance.  It's fun to play against the computer.  But things get really interesting if you have another person (or three) to play against.
  • Jumpman Jr.  - So many levels.  Such clever level designs.
  • Summer Games - Consider it a collection of mini-games.  
  • Dr. J vs. Larry Bird One on One.  A brilliantly simple control scheme that just plain works.  Plus, I like to dunk.
  • Rescue on Fractalus and Ballblazer.  Lucasfilm made great games.  

 

hi,

 

 great list indeed.

the opening sequence on the xe version of ballblazer, puts the 7800 version to shame!

 

 

 

 

 

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 1:08 AM, Justin said:

For me it would have to be Rescue on Fractalus or Crystal Castles. Can you imagine if they had completed Crystal Castles on the 7800? It was one of their top games on XE.

hi justin,

 

 i used this one because it has the 2600 version also. it was a milestone on the 2600 to 🙂 

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RickR said:

BallBlazer on the 8-bits is a special game.  Have you ever tried it on C64 or the NES?  It's TERRIBLE!  The Atari 8-bit is the only one of those three that could do the 3d scrolling so smoothly and quickly.  Clearly, the 5200 could too (same hardware) and also the 7800.  Playing this game when it first came out was mind-blowing. 

hi,

 

 atari was always the machine to beat. look what they did with midi maze, then shelved it. the nes could never do that.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Yes...I still remember how I first got Ballblazer.  That was one 7800 cart I did not get new.  It was complete but not new.  Close to Mountain Home, Arkansas was a small store called J&S Variety.  The store would get returned items by the truckloads from Sears, Penny's, and similar places.  What wasn't completely damaged was put up for sale on the shelves...others would sit to try to repair with another one like them...especially electronics.  That's where my stereo setup when I was in high school came from...most of it anyway.  All but two pieces was Garrard equipment.

Anywho I found Ballblazer by accident sitting on a shelf looking through stereo equipment.  It was sitting on top of a 10-band graphic EQ, box all mangled, but otherwise complete.  $1 price tag was on the box.  The nice thing about places like that was seeing the word "Atari" on products in my area automatically devalued a video game or any video game related merchandise.  When I got home and put the cart in I wasn't really expecting much.  What I got was probably one of the best games on the 7800, period.  Playing that game on a high skill level proved to be a fun challenge.  On the 7800 Ballblazer is my #2 favorite game, Asteroids is my #1.  

I never knew the NES had it...I know the SNES had something similar called Space Football that I had fun with but never could find it to buy  I also never owned a C64 when it mattered so I have no knowledge of that side of computers.  The C64 I had was in 2005.

hi,

 

 and you got a good one for a buck, nice job!

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Justin said:

I first got Ballblazer in the Fall of 1995, well after its "sell by" date had expired 😉 This was Atari 7800 Ballblazer. In the Fall of 1995 I had just bought the first PlayStation which was brand new at the time. It was absolutely mind-blowing to me at the time that the Atari 7800 could play pseudo-polygon games that I thought at the time looked closer to a PlayStation game or a Jaguar game than an NES game. A better comparison would be to the Mode 7 graphics on the SNES. I was just blown away by what my little Atari could do, even a decade after that game was first designed.

hi justin,

 

 and jack ignored it all, trying to make pennies on hardware.

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Video 61 said:

hi,

 

 and you got a good one for a buck, nice job!

 

lance

www.atarisales.com

 

Yea.  Unfortunately I have no clue what ever happened to my 7800 game collection back then.  I managed to hold on to the machine for a while but the games came up missing.  I have a theory but I won't touch on that subject.  Mom was not at her best for a few months after I turned 18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...