LET'S COMPARE: Atari 7800 Desert Falcon vs. Atari XEGS Desert Falcon

Video 61

hi everyone

the atari 7800 could really shine sometimes under the right programmer, and if they were given a decent cart board to work with.

the XEGS version is not to bad, looks great, sounds great, but its jerky and not smooth. there are limitations to how many sprites can be displayed at once. colors are good also.

here is the 7800 version, music is still good, notice the smooth scrolling, not jerky, can display many sprites at once with ease. great colors. this has a shameless plug in the video, i cannot help it,

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

The gameplay is the same the 7800 version looks better to me.  The XEGS version sounds a bit better but the 7800 does a good enough job in that department.  It's a tough game no matter what! 

hi,

the 7800 version to me moves those sprites better, the scrolling seems less jerky. the xe version is good, but once you play the 7800 version you get used to it at least in my case, it just seems smoother.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

1 hour ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I don't know. It is a toss-up for me. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I think that they are basically the same. Still, it is a great game.

hi,

both are good, its just the 7800 seems a little more smoother.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

The only version of Desert Falcon I've played is the 2600 version which isn't too bad but often times difficult to tell where you are in relation to the enemies and ground.  

4 hours ago, Video 61 said:

both are good, its just the 7800 seems a little more smoother.

That's not surprising and the 7800 is probably going to be smoother. 

What most Atari people don't realize is something so simple and right there under their noses that was carried over from the A8 and 7800 consoles: custom graphics processors.  Atari was the only company to make their own graphics processors -OR- release machines under their umbrella that used a custom graphics chip.  Where do you guys think NVIDIA and ATI came from?  Part of their design is owed to the engineers at Atari that developed those early 8-bit graphics processors.  Atari was the only company then making feature-rich graphics processors with all kinds of abilities.  Color cycling was a key Atari feature as was collision detection.  

The 7800 lacks the collision detection but makes up for it the ability to process screen graphics at lightning speeds.  It's the only console from the 8-bit era capable of such graphical speed and power.  Most others struggled to come close to what the 7800 could pull off.  And, as Lance has mentioned, even the A8s is a bit sluggish compared to the 7800.  

One of these days I'll be able to see both games in action in person.  It looks like fun for sure.

18 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

The only version of Desert Falcon I've played is the 2600 version which isn't too bad but often times difficult to tell where you are in relation to the enemies and ground.  

That's not surprising and the 7800 is probably going to be smoother. 

What most Atari people don't realize is something so simple and right there under their noses that was carried over from the A8 and 7800 consoles: custom graphics processors.  Atari was the only company to make their own graphics processors -OR- release machines under their umbrella that used a custom graphics chip.  Where do you guys think NVIDIA and ATI came from?  Part of their design is owed to the engineers at Atari that developed those early 8-bit graphics processors.  Atari was the only company then making feature-rich graphics processors with all kinds of abilities.  Color cycling was a key Atari feature as was collision detection.  

The 7800 lacks the collision detection but makes up for it the ability to process screen graphics at lightning speeds.  It's the only console from the 8-bit era capable of such graphical speed and power.  Most others struggled to come close to what the 7800 could pull off.  And, as Lance has mentioned, even the A8s is a bit sluggish compared to the 7800.  

One of these days I'll be able to see both games in action in person.  It looks like fun for sure.

hi,

agreed. the 7800 with the right programmer and a good board, could really shine.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

14 hours ago, RickR said:

I have them both, and I'm with Lance...the 7800 is smoother.  Also, the graphics are more detailed. 

Do "Food Fight" next!  The 8-bit version is a mess, and the 7800 version is an A+. 

hi rickr,

you read my mine, i was just about to do it. its a amazing difference that is for sure!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500