Added Mini Arcade Game - Spy Hunter

While doing some grocery shopping in our Wal-Mart that is currently in the midst of a remodel I stumbled across this:

WIN_20200807_22_40_54_Pro.jpg.a3e35ba772d7439bbe8d1363a892ef9d.jpg

I also think the electronics section is doing away with the My Arcade and Tiny Arcade stuff...those were on clearance as well.  I didn't get those though but for $4 I couldn't pass up Spy Hunter.

Spy Hunter was not one of my favorites.  I like the game, it's a fun game, and I have it for the NES, but there were other games I liked better if that makes sense.  With that being said this one is faithful to the arcade but the controls are a bit unresponsive.  It's hard to figure out how to get the car to accelerate.  I couldn't figure it out.  Maybe more time spent with it and I'll discover it.  Otherwise the game looks really good with a bright, clear picture and the music in the game never gets boring.  My first Arcade Classics mini arcade from Basic Fun.  So far...I like the My Arcade Micro Players a bit better.  Still...this one is cool and the artwork is really nice.  

Yeah the controls are weird. You have to hit up twice to accelerate. And the specials are strange too. I cued up my review where I start talking about some of the controls. Still, a cool find for $4

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I always love your reviews NSG.  Don't ever stop doing those.  I was going to do the same but I don't want to be a copy cat of what others are doing.  I might just write one.

I agree.  No matter how poor the controls might be it is a cool looking little mini cab.  And for a small unit it does sound impressive.  I think mine is a bit hard on batteries, though.  I had to replace the batteries after about 3 games.  The unit just refused to turn back on until I put fresh batteries in it.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

43 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I always love your reviews NSG.  Don't ever stop doing those.  I was going to do the same but I want to be a copy cat of what others are doing.  I might just write one.

I'm a believer in the more voices the better! My favorite magazine was EGM, partly because each game was reviewed by 4 different people. So if you want to do a video review, go for it!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

23 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

I'm a believer in the more voices the better! My favorite magazine was EGM, partly because each game was reviewed by 4 different people. So if you want to do a video review, go for it!

I got maybe two Atari Age issues in the mail AFTER paying for a subscription.  Well, I didn't but I do remember Mom getting a money order, us sitting down together to fill out the subscription card, and then putting them in an envelope and in the mailbox.  I only got like 2 maybe 3 mags and that was it.  Then again that was during the midst of the 5200 production and right before the crash.  

I didn't read, nor have knowledge of, any other game magazines until about 1987 when I received a NES for my birthday and then Nintendo Power arrived in my mailbox.  After that I found Video Games and Computer Entertainment mag, which didn't seem to last long, Tips & Tricks, EGM, and GamePro.  Out of all of those I enjoyed VG&CE the most because it covered both console and computer markets.

11 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I got maybe two Atari Age issues in the mail AFTER paying for a subscription.  Well, I didn't but I do remember Mom getting a money order, us sitting down together to fill out the subscription card, and then putting them in an envelope and in the mailbox.  I only got like 2 maybe 3 mags and that was it.  Then again that was during the midst of the 5200 production and right before the crash.  

I didn't read, nor have knowledge of, any other game magazines until about 1987 when I received a NES for my birthday and then Nintendo Power arrived in my mailbox.  After that I found Video Games and Computer Entertainment mag, which didn't seem to last long, Tips & Tricks, EGM, and GamePro.  Out of all of those I enjoyed VG&CE the most because it covered both console and computer markets.

I was big into EGM, but I also subscribed to Sega Force, which became a Gamepro subscription when Sega stopped Sega Force. However, I did buy this issue of VG&CE at my local supermarket (Farmer Jacks, for you MI folk)

Megalextoria: VideoGames & Computer Entertainment (October 1989)