We need another 2D Metroid game

HDN

So, I love Metroid. Especially this time of year, when I get "SUPER" nostalgic for it. I sadly could never get into Prime. I have Prime Trilogy for Wii, but the first person perspective is so confusing to me. I always get lost. I will need to take yet another crack at it this holiday season. I need to get into it! I owe it to myself as a Metroid fan.

Anyways, 2D Metroid is great. I love it. I was first exposed to it around 2010, when my grandparents had first moved out of their side of the duplex and we moved in from the other side (they own/built the duplex). At the time, my godfather (currently trying to get to join the site as I think he'd enjoy) and his kids stayed over in that side for a night or two. My dad hauled up an old CRT and his SNES. That first night, five-year-old me stayed up "late" playing SMB1 on All-Stars. That next morning, I went next door to find him playing Super Metroid (I even remember that it was Maridia), and I immediately fell in love. To this day, it is still my favorite game of all-time, though for a while in late 2014- early 2016 it was taken over by the original Luigi's Mansion. I'm very fortunate that my dad kept the original cartridge, as that's one of the pricier SNES games nowadays.

My godfather made me a Metroid plush and hat for Christmas of 2010. I got them on December 28th, almost ten years ago exactly. Probably the reason I get so nostalgic for Metroid this time of the year. I adored the hat and plush especially, and we went on lots of zany adventures together. I even made a "radio show" in my youth using my cassette recorder, as well as a comic series. I still have them, and never plan to get rid of them.

So far, I have played and own (in some capacity) all of the official 2D Metroid games. I have the physical copies of Metroid on NES, Super Metroid on SNES, Metroid: Samus Returns on 3DS, and recently I acquired Metroid Fusion on GBA. That might not seem like a lot, but I'm actually only missing two games from a complete 2D Metroid collection! I have Metroid II: Return of Samus on my 3DS Virtual Console, and I have Metroid: Zero Mission on my Wii U. I also repurchased Metroids 1 and Super for 3DS (for portability's sake) a while back and bought Metroid Fusion on Wii U before I got the GBA cart. I have Prime Trilogy and Other M (yuck) on my Wii hard drive. I was so excited to get Other M when my godfather was hacking my Wii, and while I liked it enough when I was six, I didn't much like it afterward. Other M ruined the series, as I feel that's why we haven't seen many Metroid games recently. But I digress.

I'll rank the 2D Metroid games now, from best to worst. I'll give extremely brief reasoning as well. Do know, these are my personal opinions and they do tend to fluxuate. My rankings may be different next week than they are now. If you disagree with me, I will probably tease you, but do know I mean absolutely no harm and 100% respect your opinions. I just like to mess with people sometimes!

1. Super Metroid\

A near-perfect video game. A masterpiece of great gameplay, lore, visuals, sound, and practically everything. Physics a little floaty which would be a negative point in most cases, but they work extremely well for what the game is and I wouldn't have it any other way.

2. Metroid Fusion

While very linear in nature and having a few other problems, "Metroid 4" has some very good physics (that work well for the game). It's challenging and fun as well.

3. Metroid II: Return of Samus

Mostly nostalgia puts it ahead its remake. The unsung hero of the Metroid series. It introduced lots to the series and is oftentimes overshadowed by its successors. Very important game story and lore-wise. Incredibly underrated. Doesn't need a built-in map like the original does.

4. Metroid: Samus Returns

Thank God, another 2D Metroid. Let's get more. Does a lot right and improves on the series. Lack of power grip explanation messes up timeline. Too little atmosphere in my opinion. Like I said, nostalgia is probably the sole reason that the original goes ahead here. Still, this is one of my favorite 3DS games.

5. Metroid: Zero Mission (NOT COUNTING the built-in version of the original game, just the main game)

It's fine. I should like it more than I do. Seems like "baby's first Metroid" to me.

6. Metroid

Pretty aged. Somehow, it does some things better than Zero Mission. Mainly, the spawning in with 30 hp is what kills it. I guess I can cope without the map, but it is HIGHLY recommended for the first few playthroughs. Overall, alright.

The only Metroid games I've ever played are:

• The "first person" version on the Gamecube.  I liked it, but I really had trouble with the controls.  So many buttons.  That's on me.  Clearly, it's a well designed game.
  • The DS version that was a launch title.  That one I liked very much. 

Super Metroid is on my list. 

Samus Returns is a very good remake of Metroid 2, but it is about time they put out a new 2D Metroid that isn't a remake.

However, they're still distracted with Prime 4, and that game is still a complete unknown regarding when it'll ever be released, so I imagine anything else Metroid related is on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.