Play Some Football on Atari Day!

RickR

Hey!  It's football season and Atari day.  So play some football and post your results here.

I was going to start with regular Atari Football, but it turns out my label is wapperjawed AND it's a two-player-only game.  10 yard penalty!  So I'm going to give Realsports Football a try instead.  Bonus - it's a 1988 Atari Corp version!  I've printed out the play selection manual page.  Let's do this!  I'll post my score when I'm done.  Who else is in?

football 002.JPG

Edited by RickR

22 minutes ago, HDN said:

Hey, @RickR. This is a pretty good idea! Right now, I'm going to go for a walk, but when I get back I think I might give it a shot. Not RealSports Football though. I'm going to play some 10-Yard Fight on NES.

NES on Atari Day? Blasphemy!

The only blasphemy in football is talking back to your coach, son!  Now go out there and win one for your fans!  NES, shmem-ee-ess.  DO IT! 

I played the original Atari Football, and playing a two-player game by yourself was fun for a little while. I switched over to Backyard Football released by GoodDealGames. It's 2-on-2 football with some depth. First time playing it, I promptly got crushed by the CPU. Nice graphics.

I'll try RealSports Football on the 2600 -- forgot about that one 🏈🏈

DSC07281.JPG.6635e5dd5490a4291cf39e598565d5b3.JPG

For me, during the gameplay and attract mode it shows the score of each player, but it's actual football score. Does it have a normal football score for you too or just the high score thing?

And it's not just my cart, either. It's the same on the ROM I have on my computer. It doesn't show a high score either.

My attract mode shows 1:00 on the clock.

I did some research, @RickR. Here's what I found:

https://tcrf.net/10-Yard_Fight_(NES)

Apparently, they retooled it for the international release. The initial run of Black Box NES games had little Famicom adapters inside. I think that if you opened your cartridge up, you'd find a Famicom board inside. You could recycle that adapter and make your very own homemade Famicom adapter to play Japanese games on your American NES!

Neat find there, Rick!

Edited by HDN

How cool!  We discovered and solved a little mystery here!  Nice job and thank you for the info.

I went upstairs and got the real cartridge we have, and it's the version you describe with the football like score (example 7 - 0).  So I don't have a special Famicom adapter version.  It's the emulator ROM version I have that's the Japanese one. 

Well, I think we learned a little nugget of fun here.  I need to find the international ROM for emulator. 

24 - 9 victory! Defense kept the CPU to three measly FGs while the offense and the short passing attack racked up 3 TDs!

Thanks for posting the instructions, Rick. The photo was just sharp enough to make out the plays 🙂 

RealSports Football on the 2600 plays very well. They did a great job. The last time I played RealSports Football was on my friend's 5200 almost forty years ago. I can't believe how old these games are, but they still fun as heck. Oh, and he crushed me every time in 5200 RS Football and the original 2600 Football.

DSC07289.JPG.1c9952383f096ff2d9f1e05c7d5a53e6.JPG

10 hours ago, RickR said:

How cool!  We discovered and solved a little mystery here!  Nice job and thank you for the info.

I went upstairs and got the real cartridge we have, and it's the version you describe with the football like score (example 7 - 0).  So I don't have a special Famicom adapter version.  It's the emulator ROM version I have that's the Japanese one. 

Well, I think we learned a little nugget of fun here.  I need to find the international ROM for emulator. 

Here's the weird thing.

I first played 10-Yard Fight on my Wii emulator several years ago and remembered the scoring system being there like in the Famicom version. I only played it that one time before I got my cartridge. I didn't remember too much about the ROM I played, but I remember the non-football scoring system. I went back to my Wii and found that there was no scoring system like I remembered (there are lots of duplicates of ROMs on there). Every YouTube video I saw also had the same version that I have on cartridge. I knew for sure that the arcade version had a high-score thing, so I thought I was just remembering the NES version wrong this whole time.

Until I saw your screenshot. That's why I was confused.

Played some video Football today with my dad. I know it isn't Atari Day anymore, but it counts. Not many people know this, but today is actually Wireless Atari VCS Prototype day, as said prototype is often referred to as the 2700. I really wish they released this thing because it's so cool!

image.jpeg.0cebe7e764b0f6ab6390f5b97374c096.jpeg

Depending on where you live, it may also be Japanese Atari Day. Right now, it's just after 11 o'clock over here. I can't wait to celebrate Atari 2800 day tomorrow!

image.jpeg.37940bf6c8fa962a0e85949db461a8e5.jpeg

Anyways, today we tried out Touchdown Football on the 7800. After about five minutes, we said "screw it", turned it off, and proceeded to play some 10 Yard Fight on the NES. As much as I love the 7800, the football game selection on NES is infinitely better. I mean, over there you have 10 Yard Fight, Play Action Football, and Tecmo Bowl. Your only option on 7800 is Touchdown, and that game is horrible! Far and away my least favorite game on the system so far. It's not even close.

Someone please make a 10 Yard Fight homebrew for 7800! That would be awesome! It would also be a nice touch to add an arcade mode (like in the NES version @RickR was playing earlier) and a normal football mode (like in the NES version that I have with normal football score). If someone were to make that, I'd lose it!

If the 7800 needs anything at all, it's a better selection of sports games. I'm not a big sports game fan, and I think a lot of the sports titles on the system are okay, but it really needs some more options. Or at least a half-decent football game.

I have to agree although I didn't mind Touchdown Football.  Its OK but nothing to write home about.  There's LOTS of games the 7800 needs...and not just sports games.  That system was tossed against a giant that had games galore.  If Atari would have taken the 7800 more seriously it could have possibly gave the NES great competition.  

On a side note, take a good look at that 2700 case.  Yep...that carried over to the 7800.  If you were to take the 7800 apart you'd see holes on the underside of the top shell where the 2700's buttons would go.  They are covered up by the 7800's chrome strip but still there.  Pretty neat, huh?