Mars / Perseverance Rover

- Ω -

Just now, RickR said:

Yes, I love this kind of thing.  The pictures from Mars have been spectacular.  And now the audio makes it that much more "you are there"-esque. 

I agree, it's too bad the audio cut out during descent and landing.  It would have been so cool to hear what it sounded like in the thin atmosphere.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

For decades now mankind has been trying to see if we could populate Mars.  Mars use to have a protective magnetic field like Earth but not as strong.  It is thought that solar flares simply blew the field off of Mars, thus causing the planet to lose whatever atmosphere it had and turned it into a "dead" planet.  To see what that new rover is seeing (and hearing, too!) is something I'm very grateful to get to experience during my lifetime.  If we were to send humans to Mars, though, we'd have to wait until Earth and Mars are at their closest.  If we did that a trip from Earth to Mars would take 6 months.

I'd gladly sign up for a one way trip... PROVIDED most of the stuff I routinely get on the Internet was copied, sent and stored on a server orbiting Mars.  That way when I go to read my Atari.io mail, or other stuff it would "feel" like real time.  On messages and email it's not instant anyway so there would be little difference.  It would not be an easy life, but in the lower gravity an older gent would feel quite spry! 

Edited by - Ω -
Typo

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

This "selfie" image was taken and assembled from 60 separate images which is why the arm is not visible.  I'm really looking forward to seeing an image from the rover taken by it's helicopter/drone.  Another think I'd like to get is a short movie with sound of the rover driving on Mars.

Exv7_fXVEAA_HRU?format=jpg&name=medium

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

10 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

I'm just hoping they will eventually take some VIDEO with sound, maybe while driving or of the helicopter.  Is that too much to ask for?

Imagine the logistics of sending data from millions of miles away from one spinning rock to another spinning rock.  Honestly, it makes me want to get out my calculus textbook to figure out flight paths and communication windows. 

There are two satellites in Mars orbit that relay ground transmissions from the various rovers back to Earth.  There are also receiving stations in various places around our planet capable of receiving the signals.  I'm unsure of the transmission rate, but am assuming it's low enough that it explains why we only get still images, and those being composite images as well.  As for communication blackouts, I believe it's mainly when Earth and Mars are positioned on opposite sides of the sun.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>