Squad Challenge - Pizza Party Summer - Let's Play - The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Justin

large.pizza_party_summer_1.gif

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

The Legend of Zelda
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: LET'S PLAY
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30th, 2022

Nominated by @Justin

Objective

RELAX AND ENJOY playing one of our favorite games and share hints, tips, and photos of your progress along the way! In this "Let's Play" Challenge, we are not competing for a high score, and there will not be a winner declared at the end. Instead, this is an opportunity to enjoy a gameplay experience together with friends in the forums. Share new secrets, helpful hints, and your overall thoughts on this title as you progress through the game! This "Let's Play" Challenge is a perfect opportunity to livestream your gameplay or share footage on YouTube, Instagram, Twitch or Facebook. Posts must be made between June 15th through June 30th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. 

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Start Legend of Zelda at "square one" with a fresh game.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

Welcome to our 127th Squad Challenge, the first "Let's Play" Challenge of the series! We're trying something new with some "Let's Play" events for this year's Pizza Party Summer! Atari I/O Summer Pizza Party is now PIZZA PARTY SUMMER and runs from June 15th through July 31st! For this Let's Play Challenge we're playing one of the most legendary Nintendo games of all time - the Legend of Zelda. This Let's Play Challenge will run through June 30th, 2022. Remember, this is just for fun, no winner will be announced, but share your thoughts and photos / videos of your progress along the way! Instruction Manual is provided below. It's dangerous to go alone!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

The Legend of Zelda.pdf

First question:  Does the game allow saves?  I remember you could save after dying, right?  And maybe some sequence of button presses?

I think I may just play on an emulator so I can save more easily.  It's kind of cheating, I'll admit.  But that's why I never finished this game in the past was the frustration of having to explore every nook of the map.  And then maybe once I know the secrets I'll try again on a real console and cart. 

1 hour ago, RickR said:

First question:  Does the game allow saves?

@RickR Absolutely!

1 hour ago, RickR said:

I think I may just play on an emulator so I can save more easily.

@RickR Perfectly acceptable way to play if that's the right fit for you. Relax and get comfy for the summer!

The original NES cartridge has game save backup, which is one of the reasons why the cartridge was so expensive at the time.

The Legend of Zelda is also available on Nintendo Switch, on the NES Classic Mini, and also on Nintendo Wii, Wii U, and even the Game Boy Advance NES Classics release is acceptable for this Let's Play Challenge, since scoring isn't an issue here.

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

The Overworld Map

The Overworld map is available here, and in more detail on page 46 of the attached Legend of Zelda Instruction Manual. It's dangerous to go alone! Use this map to help guide you along your path:

large.1484979414_TheLegendofZelda-OverworldMap.gif

Map to Level 2 Underground Labyrinth

Use this map to help guide you to the ruins at the top right of the map:

large.434216088_TheLegendofZelda-MaptoLevel2.gif

I remember when this game just showed up, hanging on a peg at Wal-Mart.  The gold cart sold me.  Unfortunately I was spending the weekend with my grandma and didn't bring my NES with me.  Two days of holding a new game but couldn't play it was pure hell. I must have read the cover and instructions more than a dozen times.  This game did not take long to become the talk at school.  Ill try to capture some footage.  I have this on my classic mini but can't capture that so I will have to use emulation.

I was on my way to get to the first labyrinth when an enemy dropped some bombs.  You know what that means?  I can get extra heart containers before tackling the first labyrinth!  One of those containers is here at H-11.  There's another one elsewhere but that area is missing on the map.  Search the right areas of the C section.  You are looking for a large rock.

IMG_20220617_172824.jpg

53 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Beat this game a.long time ago.  I haven't revisited the game since.  I will give you a few pointers.  That Over world map will be your biggest asset.  I would print it out, number the top 0 - 15 and the left side A - H.  This way should you get most or stuck we can point you where to go using coordinates.

I have printed the map and added the numbers/letters.  I won't be able to start playing until this weekend, but I'm looking forward to it.

I made it to that G15 cave to buy bombs.  Slow progress.  I'm finding this more difficult than I remember.  Once I lose the shooting sword, I have a harder time defeating the creatures.  Maybe the controls on this emulator aren't great, but most likely old age. 

What's next?  Isn't there a secret cave you expose with a bomb?  Or is it those statues that move that I'm looking for?

22 hours ago, RickR said:

I made it to that G15 cave to buy bombs.  Slow progress.  I'm finding this more difficult than I remember.  Once I lose the shooting sword, I have a harder time defeating the creatures.  Maybe the controls on this emulator aren't great, but most likely old age. 

What's next?  Isn't there a secret cave you expose with a bomb?  Or is it those statues that move that I'm looking for?

There are lots of areas in the Overworld and in the dungeons you can bomb holes in.  If you go to H11 and bomb to the left of the path going north you should find a cave where you can grab a heart container.

I just completed the Fourth dungeon and I managed to collect a few more heart containers. I don't remember how many I need but I have 12 now so I'm now heading to the cemetery to try to get the master sword.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy
I have no clue what EU veins are.so I changed it to dungeons.