Squad Challenge - Magical Chase (TurboGrafx-16)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Magical Chase
TurboGrafx-16
Controller: TURBOPAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Bumpy
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 31st, 2022

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 15th through October 31st, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We're playing Magical Chase on the "Bumpy" difficulty level, which provides for a moderately difficult level of gameplay. We recommend you start the game by practicing on the "Breeze" difficulty level first if you're new to Magical Chase, then you can progress up to "Bumpy". 

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 137th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're playing one of the greatest shooters in the American TurboGrafx-16 library: Magical Chase! Yes, Magical Chase is legendary for being notoriously expensive to collect, but it's also one of the most graphically impressive shooters on the system, and it's also really, really fun to play! In my opinion this game is as fun, if not more fun to play than Air Zonk. You play as Ripple, a little witch shooting at very unique characters she accidentally released into the world. Magical Chase came as a standard TurboChip (HuCard) playable across all American TurboGrafx systems, including the TurboGrafx-16 base system, the TurboExpress handheld, and the TurboDuo. The graphics are visually beautiful and sound is very impressive for the TurboGrafx-16, Magical Chase with its impressive graphics and world of memorable characters feels like it would be more at home on the Super Nintendo. Unfortunately I was unable to procure a PDF of the instruction manual for this game, if you come across one would you be so kind as to share it here with the group? ROM is provided below. We are playing the American version of Magical Chase as it differs from the Japanese release on the PC Engine. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Magical Chase (USA).pce

:pow_big:

Please remember to TYPE OUT YOUR HIGH SCORE when posting to High Score Squad! We want to get your score right, and prevent mistakes. Scores can be blurry in photos, tricky on the eyes, or hidden deep within play-through videos. Claiming your score 100% prevents confusion.

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

Here are some real Pro-Tips for scoring big in MAGICAL CHASE:

Lock Options (Star Maidens) in Place

To lock options (Star Maidens) in place, tap Button I when NOT holding down Button II to fire. The Star Maidens will remain locked in the position you chose. To release the Star Maidens, tap Button I once again.

Lock Firing Direction

To lock the Firing Direction, tap Button I while holding down Button II to fire. The Firing Direction of the Star Maidens will lock in place.

Use Spells

To use spells, double press Button II quickly. This will use the Spell shown closest to the left.

Start with 60,000 Crystals!

At the "Difficulty" setup screen, press LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, SELECT three times, LEFT, RIGHT and BUTTON I. If you do this correctly, you will hear a chime and start the game with over 60,000 gems!

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who join in our TurboGrafx-16 Magical Chase High Score Squad challenge! Turnout wasn't as large as I had hoped for, Magical Chase is a really decent shoot-em-up, and the TurboGrafx-16 is worth exploring more. I hope all of you who joined us for this Squad Challenge had a magical time playing! I take the top spot in our Final Standings with a score of 212,420 points. @Atari 5200 Guy was hot on my tail, almost taking that top spot with his score of 209,260 points. Way to go on your Magical Chase performance @Atari 5200 Guy! @Gianna came in with a hard-fought 159,680 points, taking 3rd Place in our Final Standings, and @RickR got his TurboGrafx-16 all set up and joined us for this challenge, posting an impressive score of 42,030 points! Congratulations to all who played, I hope everybody had fun playing TurboGrafx-16 again in High Score Squad!

Special "Thank You" to everyone here for keeping the Squad Challenge going, and to @Sabertooth who is doing yeoman's work continuously hosting wonderful Squad Challenges and other fun events in our new Club VCS!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad is a launch title for the Sega Genesis. Be there!

large.final_standings_tg16_magical_chase.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif