Recharged Squad Challenge 016 - Amoeba Jump

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

AMOEBA JUMP (2023)
Atari VCS
Controller: MODERN CONTROLLER / CLASSIC CONTROLLER / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level:  BLUE AMOEBA (HARD)

Play on: Real Hardware ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30, 2023

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 2nd through June 30, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

This is a Club VCS Exclusive Challenge. All Club VCS players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real Atari VCS hardware. Choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing AMOEBA JUMP! on "hard" difficulty. Jump your way to the top of the leaderboard with the highest possible score!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 16th Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge, we're taking on AMOEBA JUMP, the 2600 homebrew from developer Dionoid!

The release of 2600 homebrew titles on the modern VCS is something worth celebrating! We're celebrating the release of Amoeba Jump & Tower of Rubble with this special squad challenge!

Amoeba Jump is a vertical jumping game where your objective is to guide the amoeba up a never-ending series of platforms without falling. The higher you get, the higher your score will be.

There are three different platform types:

Yellow - these are the basic, stable platforms

White - these are unstable platforms that disappear after you bounce off them once

Blue - these platforms are harder to hit because they move back and forth

Jumping on red or green mushroom push-buttons will give you a short boost and some bonus points, but best of all: it makes the little amoeba rejoice! When your score gets beyond 1,000 points, little white oval-shaped bacteria start appearing on the platforms, which can be eaten by the amoeba. Each bacteria holds one of the six letters of the word A-M-O-E-B-A. Collect all six and the single next time you jump on a spring, you will get a super boost.

The screen wraps around, which means that the amoeba can leave one side of the screen and immediately reappear on the opposite side.

Jump your way to the highest score possible!

Club VCS Recharged Squad Contest

This game is the sixth title in our third Club VCS contest giveaway! Prize details will be announced shortly. 

1)  All challenge participants will receive one (1) entry for each challenge in which they submit a valid score!

2) The top scorer of each challenge will receive two (2) additional entries - for a total of three (3) entries in a single challenge!

3) On Twitch or Youtube?  Stream or record and post your ClubVCS high score attempt for one (1) additional entry in each round.  You must post a public link to the video in the Challenge.

BUT ARE THERE BUTTONS? 

Yes! We've made another set of ClubVCS buttons to celebrate the games in this series. There will be two ways to get a button set.

1) Win a challenge.

2) Post a valid score to all challenges in the 6 game series.

Only one button set will be mailed per member during the series.

This contest is open to everybody, including Atari I/O Moderators, with a U.S. or Canada  mailing address. It's really easy, all you have to do is participate be a Club VCS member and participate in our Recharged Squad Challenges.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Sabertooth

On 6/2/2023 at 7:36 PM, socrates63 said:

Amoeba Jump on the VCS? Rock on! This is one of my top 2600 homebrews--one of those easy to learn but hard to master type games.

It is a very fun and immediate game. Just what you want in a 2600 game! Apparently, there are slight enhancements in the VCS version of this and Towers of Rubble. Here's what Dionoid said on the VCS Discord server:

Hi, I hope you like playing Amoeba Jump and Tower of Rubble on the VCS! Both games are VCS-specific special editions, with small enhancements. Note that highscore will be saved on exiting the game, but *only* when you exit the game by pressing the Esc key on a plugged-in keyboard.

Amoeba Jump got an additional animation when the amoeba misses the lowest platform and falls down, and Tower of Rubble has a different color theme. And both games can keep your highscore across sessions.

Edited by Sabertooth

Wow @socrates63! Amazing score!

I think we can allow the 2600 version with an asterisk since the ROMs are slightly different.;)

And I hope you enjoy your VCS. Some new users encounter difficulties with the updates, as there have been so many since launch. If you do, be sure to reach out here or on the AtariVCS Discord. It's an easy fix.

Edited by Sabertooth

10 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Wow @socrates63! Amazing score!

I think we can allow the 2600 version with an asterisk since the ROMs are slightly different.;)

And I hope you enjoy your VCS. Some new users encounter difficulties with the updates, as there have been so many since launch. If you do, be sure to reach out here or on the AtariVCS Discord. It's an easy fix.

Oh I wasn't submitting a score 🙂 Please don't include my 2600 score for the competition. I intend to submit one from the VCS version.

Thank you for the tip. I did read on reddit about possible difficulties with updating the system. Fingers crossed.

On 6/20/2023 at 3:25 PM, Mockduck said:

Since this has changed in-process, are we requiring Hard mode (blue amoeba) or is Easy (pink) ok? 

We should stick with blue (Hard) as the default. The gameplay seems to be the same for this setting, where the controls of the pink amoeba were updated.