Classic TV Series - Post your favorites.

MaximumRD

I will start with VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. The futuristic submarine concept has been done many times in movies and TV shows no doubt inspiration for SeaQuest DSV in the 90's. 
Probably the episode that stood out most to me....hmmmm inspiration for Full Moon video Demonic Toys? Though I know the concept of sweet innocent childhood toys being dangerous or demonic has been a thing as far back as the old Twilight zone series.

NOTE: A much higher quality HD transfer copy can be viewed at this Youtube link (it does not allow embedding) 

https://youtu.be/S9JEzntVD0c

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea 
Season 3 Episode 5
"The Terrible Toys"  
First aired 16 October, 1966

Guest star: Paul Fix

An old man, adrift at sea, is rescued along with a sack of toys by the Seaview. The toys take on a life of their own and begin to sabotage the ship. They appear to be connected to an alien space ship lying on the ocean floor.

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Classic TV shows--my first entertainment love ❤️ 📺 As a kid, I grew up watching tons of classic show re-runs. Being an only child with both parents working, the TV was a great entertainment option when friends weren't around. The 80s were a great time for watching re-runs of shows from the 50s, 60s, and 70s (in addition to the class shows from the 80s).

Probably my most watched classic series as a kid were Leave It to Beaver, I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith Show with some Three's Company, Laverne and Shirley, and Sanford and Son. Some of these are available on Pluto TV, so I watch them there. For full disclosure, I work for Pluto TV 🙂 

In recent years, I started buying TV show collections on DVD and Blu-ray. I'm still missing quite a few shows that I want, but have gotten a decent number of them (some I watched back in the day, some I missed because I didn't grow up with cable TV like Six Million Dollar Man).

I catch the Dave Sundstrom YouTube channel from time to time to learn more about the shows and people involved with the classic shows.

Hey, my wife and I were watching "I Love Lucy" on Pluto last night!  And after that, the channel we were on showed the very first episode of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch".  This show came after my time, so I'm not familiar with it at all.  That first episode was pretty good, but my favorite part was the witch's council....very young Penn & Teller and I'm pretty sure....Debbie Harry! 

Cool! Thank you for watching shows on Pluto 🙂 and thanks for the YT link. I'm watching it right now.

I've never watched the Sabrina show as it was after my time as well. I think Friends was the last TV series I watched during its original runtime, and even with that show, I only watched the first two or three seasons before the show was moved (to Wednesday night iirc). 

I probably won't watch anymore Sabrina.  But that pilot episode was well done.  It felt lucky to run across it like that.  I did just look it up, and it *WAS* Debbie Harry.  That gives it some cool factor. 

There's so much great free content on the various free channels on the Roku (and other streaming devices).  Pluto is a really good one!

12 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I'll make it easy:  Star Trek.  😆

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but H&I shows Star Trek (TOS) every weeknight at 5pm.  So I have it on while making dinner.  Every night.  I trust you all know I'm a huge Star Trek fan, and I had seen every episode many times already.  And so, here I am every night...watching while making dinner.  Needless to say, with only 79 episodes made, I've now seen every one 79 times minimum.  When my kids are over, I can tell them the dialogue before it happens and everyone laughs.

There are some I never tire of.  But some of them....well.  Last night, it was "Return to Tomorrow" (Sargon, his wife, and an old enemy take over Kirk/Mulhaul/Spock to build robot bodies).  After dinner was underway, I sat down to watch more closely...and promptly fell asleep. 

There *is* too much of a good thing! 

My wife came home and there I was -- snoring in the La-Z-Boy.  How embarrassing. 

It isn't a bad episode at all.  But I always wonder why they had to make the voices amplified.  That doesn't make much sense!  Or how about only having Nurse Chapel in the room while Henoch is making the syrums?  Even having a web cam recording those events may have saved them such heartache 🙂 

DS9 has become my most favorite series and the one episode I count as a favorite is "The Visitor."  DS9, however, may not qualify here as it is not a classic in terms that is from the 90's.  Or are shows from the 90's allowed? 

From TOS, "City on the Edge of Forever," "The Doomsday Machine," and "The Enterprise Incident" are excellent episodes that I really enjoy. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

18 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

DS9 has become my most favorite series and the one episode I count as a favorite is "The Visitor." 

Same here!  DS9 and "The Visitor".

For casual viewing, I like TNG best now that I've seen TOS way too often.  And yes, the 90's shows count!  I hate to make any of us feel old, but that's going on 30 years ago now.  And also, I've found the two Pluto "Trek" channels, so I will do those now while making dinner. 

Here's a couple of classics that I picked up during Prime Day. Well, one's a classic. I'm not sure how well regarded the other is 🙂 I actually didn't watch M*A*S*H much as a kid because it went over my head. I caught bits of an episode here and there, and my sole interest in it was due to it being set in Korea during the Korean War. I laughed at some of the actors portraying Korean people because their Korean was really bad in some cases. BTW, I am Korean-American.

And then we have Buck Rogers. I watched this a ton as a kid, and Erin Gray is forever Col. Deering to me. It was kinda funny watching Silver Spoons with her in the show.

IMG_0816.jpeg.b9c9de8bbe41f7e436b4b69d668cf793.jpeg

Nice pickups!  M*A*S*H is indeed a classic.  How interesting to get the Korean-American perspective. 

Buck Rogers was one of the shows that was shown in reruns when new "UHF" channels were added to free over-the-air stations in the 80's.  I remember watching after school, but I think it was one of those deals where season 1 was really good, but then things were changed up for season 2 and they really hosed it.  Much less Wilma, for example.  And that evil lady -- what was her name?  Queen something or other.  Why'd they drop her???  To be honest, I have no idea if this is right -- just my recollection.

The original Battlestar Galactica was the same, wasn't it?  Season 1 awesome, and then they either lowered the budget or made it more kid-friendly, which kind of ruined it. 

Edited by RickR

I recently ordered these and they arrived today. As a kid, I had only caught a few episodes of the original Battlestar Galactica from the 70s . Not having grown up with cable TV severely limited my exposure to a lot of sci-fi content. I remember having the Viper toy and playing out many adventures that I made up.

I'm pretty sure I've read that outside of the first An American Tail, these aren't very good but for $10, I am willing to give them a shot.

Cheap DVDs for the win! Having a nice CRT TV to view them, I no longer hesitate getting DVDs.

IMG_0929.jpeg.4a52b9501debc7a6c528450e2a41e6cb.jpeg