Lost Credit: The Secret Atari Heroes of GCC

TrekMD

They sure did!  I was not aware that they had developed Phoenix for the 2600, the one and only port of the game to home systems.  Interesting that they would make the game as best they could and then scale it back based on resources of the system.  I bet a 16K version of Phoenix to the 2600 would have been even more impressive.  I also liked how they thought about it when making games.  "Let's capture the arcade experience and make it as close as possible."  Very different from the idea Atari had when they developed the original port of Pac-Man.  History would have been so different had these guys kept on developing games for the 7800 in 1984!  I hope the next video covers the story of the 7800 and what they had originally planned for the system!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Here's the list that was shown in the video.  Doug seems to claim VCS Choplifter, 7800 Millipede, 7800 Track & Field, and 7800 Adventure were done.  7800 AtariLab is also interesting in that it notes Dave Crane worked on it.  I'm guessing this was similar to the AtariLab modules that were done for the Atari 800, which were designed by David Egolf of Dickinson College.

gcc_list_1.jpg

gcc_list_2.jpg

I finished watching the second part while on the treadmill at the gym.  This was such an excellent look at GCC and their work for Atari.  It does make you wonder what these guys could have achieved had the 7800 been released in 1984.  Nintendo would have had a hard time competing, I think, had the 7800 had a 3-year market lead.  It's unfortunate Jack Tramiel didn't want to do stuff with games. 

If you haven't watched these two videos, I highly recommend them. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Hey guys,

The final version is here with about 5 mins of additional content and few little edits:

Lost Credit (HD): The Secret Atari Heroes Of GCC (full version) - YouTube

Also, the final credits list is posted here withe staff image and the face-map to all the people:

GCC Credits (intotheverticalblank.com)

-Steve