RE: ColecoVision controller options, what is your favorite?

MaximumRD

OF COURSE besides the default, there are the Super Action controllers. Someone once sent me this and I had no knowledge beforehand. Mine is for ColecoVision specifically but works with other 9-pin inputs. JOY-SENSOR by SUNCOM. There were versions for different consoles. Excuse the dust, it's been sitting in the closet, takes some getting used to but I kind of like it.

WIN_20231120_21_52_24_Pro.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Two options are my preferred when playing on my CV. My main option is the Rugger Pad I got from Ruggers Customs. It is actually a Genesis 3 button controller with a replacement PCB in it that adds the 1,2, and I think the 0 button along with the actual button 1 and button 2 needed. Covers a majority of the games for me and. If I play a game that uses the keypad buttons that aren't emulated on the Rugger Pad, then I use one of my actual CV controllers that I added a ball top to.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

16 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

OF COURSE besides the default, there are the Super Action controllers. Someone once sent me this and I had no knowledge beforehand. Mine is for ColecoVision specifically but works with other 9-pin inputs. JOY-SENSOR by SUNCOM. There were versions for different consoles. Excuse the dust, it's been sitting in the closet, takes some getting used to but I kind of like it.

WIN_20231120_21_52_24_Pro.jpg

I've never seen that before.  I wonder if they were inspired by the Intellivsion controller?! 

This is what I use with the Phoenix...

ColecoVision(1a).JPG.fdcfcd1bcf7d732e24e5f2bd24d0f82b.JPG

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

When I had an actual ColecoVision, I like using the Super Action Controller for playing Mouse Trap since it was easier to open doors with it's keypad than with the standard controller.  Using the firing triggers you had to squeeze hard was a pain though, so I prefer using an Atari joystick with a Coleco controller in the 2nd port for the manual keypad entry.

On MAME I not only set my Xbox gamepad to emulate the Super Action Controller but also add the spinner axis to my left thumbstick to simulate the Roller Controller & Steering Wheel and also use the right trigger for acceleration (fire button) plus right thumbstick for shifting (right joystick).

I don't mind using the original CV controller. I think it works well but i have made my own CV gamepad with both fire buttons & * 1 to start & reset games without a keypad but for the games that do need extra buttons like Pac Man collection Ms Pac-Man needs # for Credits i just use my Champ CV Keypad.

IMG_1998.jpg