Balls Of Steel Re-Release from Atari

Sabertooth

I downloaded this on Steam at lunch and ran on my VCS in PC-Mode. It crashed on my 8GB VCS but was fine on my 16GB unit.

I did not have the original BITD, so I don't have any nostalgia for the game. However, the options menu and scrolling view from the original game are not enabled. This is offputting for me as I prefer zoom and scroll tables - at least optionally. The new Atari-themed tables are cool and in a much higher resolution than the original tables. The original tables are presented with a ton of black/empty space.

Overall, this is a bit underwhelming. I'd much rather play Pinball Fantasies on the Jaguar. It's only $8.99, but I'd wait for a 50 percent off sale TBH.

This isn't as bad as I thought.  Four of the five classic tables do have scrolling view options, which makes it feel better IMHO.  The three tables I tried Wednesday do not.  These are Missile Command, Centipede and Devil's Island. Why scrolling wasn't implemented for these tables is anyone's guess.

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

This isn't as bad as I thought.  Four of the five classic tables do have scrolling view options, which makes it feel better IMHO.  The three tables I tried Wednesday do not.  These are Missile Command, Centipede and Devil's Island. Why scrolling wasn't implemented for these tables is anyone's guess.

Weird they would not implement scrolling on all the tables.  I wonder if it was a technical issue or some other reason for the decision.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...