Retropie on the Pi 1

Starbuck66

Hoping someone here can share some insights on this, as I put up a post over on AtariAge 4 days ago and have yet to receive even a single reply.

I have a Pi 1 that I'm running Retropie on, but it seems like the majority of the games I try on the SNES and NES have serious sound issues. The sound is slow and choppy. I also get some gameplay lag in SMB 3 and SMW.

I didn't know if this is a horsepower issue? I had heard of minor issues using the Pi 1 for emulation, but nothing this bad. My other thought is that I need to tweak some settings in Retroarch?

I have retropie on a pi 1, and use it for arcade game emulation, for which it works very nicely. I also tried 2600 games, and they work great.

I have not tried SNES or NES....but if you have time, I can try sometime later this week. We can compare notes.

Thanks Rick, sounds like a plan! I haven't tried MAME stuff on it yet, so I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

Have you updated the retropie emulation station front end? Found in the configuration for the retro pie? Latest vrsions 4.2 I think fixed and I proved a huge amount of emulators under the hood of retro pie.

I'll double check this, but I just downloaded and installed it last week so I thought I was on the current version of everything.

Know it's been a while, but I finally got a chance to mess around with my Retropie a little more, and after scouring some internet threads, I found that the Pi 1 generally needs to be overclocked to run games well. I bought a heatsink set for it for 5 bucks off Amazon just to help with longevity and to hopefully avoid having it lock up on me.

So far I've found that overclocking to the highest setting in Raspbian settings seems to do the trick. Everything seemed to run full speed with no sound issues. Even set to the highest setting, I couldn't get Starfox to run. I tried the medium setting, and I noticed just a little bit of slowdown in Mario Kart and Sparkster, but Super Mario World and SMB3 played just fine. Haven't really tried any MAME stuff yet, but when I do I can pass on my results.

I have the Reys 128gb arcade attract front end on my raspberry Pi3 and all I can say is wow!! , it a replica of the hyperspin frontend with full video preview and matched game logos from all console and arcade platform , something like 8,000 to 10,000 games here, it's ridiculous but take about 2 hrs to mount the image, I have to say all you'd need is to connect this to a a set of arcade sticks and wacka it into a cab for a full retro gaming arcade suite, would save a fortune on a PC arcade setup.

Unofficial Atari: a Visual History

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

I have the Reys 128gb arcade attract front end on my raspberry Pi3 and all I can say is wow!! , it a replica of the hyperspin frontend with full video preview and matched game logos from all console and arcade platform , something like 8,000 to 10,000 games here, it's ridiculous but take about 2 hrs to mount the image, I have to say all you'd need is to connect this to a a set of arcade sticks and wacka it into a cab for a full retro gaming arcade suite, would save a fortune on a PC arcade setup.

You should do a video on it? Would love to see in action. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison