Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

ATARI LYNX BECOMES MODERN 2600 CONSOLE HOMAGE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:27 PM

https://hackaday.com...4jpNBXxB5u3UDZQ

atarilynx2600-1200x800-01.jpeg

The inspiration behind the mod was the original Atari console, the Atari 2600. [Jared’s] console mod, called the Atari Lynx 2600, utilizes a four-switch 2600 case as an enclosure. However, since the Atari 2600 joystick did not offer enough button real estate an NES controller was used instead. A male-male serial cable serves as the new controller cord, while all the buttons on the face of the Lynx are hardwired to a female DB9 port. As an added touch a custom 3D printed cartridge adapter was incorporated into the original 2600 cartridge slot.

Since the Lynx did not natively support video out, and intermediary device known as the McWill LCD mod kit was used. The McWill LCD mod is typically done in order to modernize the Atari Lynx’s screen with hardware from this decade, but [Jared] used the kit in order to get VGA video output from the Lynx. Not satisfied with just VGA [Jared] also included a VGA to HDMI scaler inside to ensure a wider compatibility with current displays. Fittingly the HDMI port was placed on the back of the 2600 enclosure where the RF video used to come from.

Bonus points should go to [Jared] for going the extra mile and creating a custom console box to accompany the console mod. The entirety of the project was detailed in a three-part video series, but you can watch the console in action in part 2 below:

• Justin, RickR and Atari Creep like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#2 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 600 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:02 PM

WOW!!! Its stuff like this that makes me wish I could do more on the inside of a console and not just the outside!!!!!!!!! Fantastic stuff!!!

• MaximumRD likes this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#3 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 689 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

I'd buy this in a snap!

• MaximumRD and Atari Creep like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#4 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted Today, 02:12 PM

I follow him on Instagram and watched this build all the way through. Very impressive build! I've always wanted to do this since the Lynx was new but didn't have the technical skill to do it on my own. Would love to see a "1989" version of this in a 7800 shell painted "Lynx Grey" from the Lynx 1  :atari_lynx:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users