My first Intellivision console (sorta)

I am now the proud owner of a TandyVision One! This is my first time playing around with Intellivision and would appreciate some game recommendations. So far, I only have Tron Deadly Disks and Night Stalker for it. I also love that it came with a bunch of servicing paperwork from Intv Corp 😄  image.png.6bea4d4a0169249bf1a14084fda8ce1e.pngimage.png.8276c95aa3672f940346a82252807083.png

"Mmmrrrrrrhhhh.....game.....gooooood....."

The two games you have are good ones.  If you like action games, I highly recommend Astrosmash and Space Battle (which is my favorite of all Intellivision games).  Make sure to get a CIB copy of Space Battle.  You'll need the instructions and overlays to understand it.

Other really good ones are the two D&D games and Thunder Castle (probably the most impressive graphics and sound on the system).

Edited by RickR

The Tandyvision One is my favorite looking Intellivision console. Something about the added woodgrain details just make it standout in a way that looks classy to me. 

Thunder Castle is my favorite game on the system of the original released 125 games. It is challenging to play but also very simple to play as it doesn't rely on anything other than the disc controller and one fire button to play the game. And yes the graphics and sound are very impressive. Another very impressive game that I need to spend more time with, is Tower of Doom. It was to be the 3rd D&D game but INTV lost the licensing by the time that game was ready so the D&D portion of it was removed. It also has pretty impressive graphics and again just a more deep adventure game than I expected.

There is also an excellent homebrew community for the Intellivision these days. Lots of new games, ports of games from other systems, etc. One fun homebrew original game is Maria! from Cote Gamers. It is a step turn based RPG played as an overhead view. Hard to explain but super charming and just fun in general. Many of the games released by Kai Magazine and usually distributed by Elektronite are also very impressive both in graphics and gameplay.

Have fun with it as there is a lot of variety in the games to be found and played!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Tron Deadly Discs and Night Stalker are both good games on the Intellivision.  Both "dual-stick shooters" as well.  Here's a little pro-tip: if you use the disc on one controller and the keypad on the other controller, you can move and shoot at the same time.

Other games I recommend are:

• Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.  Simple but with just enough randomization to keep it fun.
  • Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Treasure of Tarmin.  Who doesn't enjoy early 3D dungeon crawlers?  Lots of stats, character growth, and a huge variety of items.
  • Astrosmash!  This was the game that started it all for me.  Endless action that keeps getting faster.
  • BurgerTime!  Arguably better than the arcade port, and all other console ports as well.
  • Chip Shot Super Pro Golf.  A well-done Golf game with beautiful graphics and features new to console Golf games at the time, such as wind and the direction of the grass blades on the Green.  You can also create your own custom course of 9 or 18 holes.
  • Dig Dug.  Another fantastic arcade port.
  • Shark! Shark!  Games where you eat smaller fish and grow in size while avoiding larger fish are pretty common nowadays.  But on the Intellivision, it stands out.  With 2 players, there's friendly fire, which is fine if you're playing competitively.
  • SNAFU.  Simple but fun at parties, with a neat soundtrack.  There are two distinct games: "Tron Light Cycles" and a 2-player game where each player controls a snake that tries to cut the other snake down to size by repeatedly biting its tail.
  • Thin Ice.  Inspired by the arcade game Disco No. 1.  If you're not familiar with that game, it's a little like Qix.  Nice music and character animations.
  • Thunder Castle.  A sort of "cat & mouse" maze chase game with a fantasy theme.  Excellent graphics and music.
  • Tower of Doom.  This was to have been the third AD&D game, but by the time it was released, the AD&D license was dropped.  An early roguelike game with nonstop action.
  • Triple Action.  Three games in one.  Biplanes is a lot of fun, if you have a second player to play with, and have the patience to master flying the plane without crashing.
  • Utopia.  You'll want a second player to play with.  This went down in history as the grandfather of games like Sim City.

Third-party games I recommend are:

• Beamrider (Activision).  Excellent graphics and sound effects, and simple addictive gameplay.  My kind of game.
  • Beauty & the Beast (Imagic).  A cross between Crazy Climber and Donkey Kong.
  • Demon Attack (Imagic).  Plays like Phoenix but more fast-paced.  Can be played with 1 or 2 players.
  • Q*Bert (Parker Brothers).  A surprisingly good arcade port.
  • Pac-Man (Atarisoft).  Light years better than the Atari 2600 version.

There are also a lot of great indie games to be had nowadays.  I've written a few myself.  I'll start by pointing you to intellivisioncollector.com.

http://www.midnightblueinternational.com/

I make Intellivision games.