Why the Star Wars Prequels were movies made for 5 year-olds

Doctor Octagon

I honestly, truly believe that. They were movies made for 5 year-olds designed to sell popcorn and Pepsi, and during production of the films nobody dared question the "L. Ron Hubbard-like" George Lucas or challenge him on the terrible decisions he was making.

"Mr. Plinkett" poses basic questions to make these points, like "Tell me who the main character of The Phantom Menace was", or asks people to "Describe the following Star Wars character WITHOUT saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession or role in the movie was", first with Han Solo (lots of great descriptions) and then with Qui-Gon Jinn (umm..) and others. The point becomes clear.

Give the first video a few mins and you'll see exactly what I mean. It's excellent.

Red Letter Media's "Mr. Plinkett" has some funny and honest reviews that look at why and how this all happened. If you haven't seen them yet you should give them a watch. Even if you're not a Star Wars fan they're pretty funny. Mr. Plinkett takes the time to go through the movie and even though it's comical he makes some really good points. (nsfw)

I've watched these before, and they are spot on.  The movies are not very good. 

I remember watching an interview with Ron Howard where he watched the Phantom Menace before it was done, but seemed afraid to say anything negative to George Lucas. 

There's a lot of stories going around about George Lucas not liking or talking bad about the new movie.  I think those are mostly blown way out of proportion.  So take that with a grain of salt. 

I think Lucas got a bad feeling about his Charlie Rose interview. My guess Disney had some sort of hush order built into the purchase. They probably reminded him of that. The grumbling that Lucas was going on a money grab was the the change of the inhabitants on endor to teddy bears because he knew that the toy market would explode like the Death Star. I'm glad that they removed him from the story.

I'm forever grateful to Mr. Lucas for creating this incredible fantasy world that has been such a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember.

That said, I have zero sympathy for him currently as he sits on his mountain of money and is butt hurt over the fact that Disney & JJ accomplished in their first shot at this what he failed to do over the course of the three prequels.

I'm forever grateful to Mr. Lucas for creating this incredible fantasy world that has been such a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember.

That said, I have zero sympathy for him currently as he sits on his mountain of money and is butt hurt over the fact that Disney & JJ accomplished in their first shot at this what he failed to do over the course of the three prequels.

I could not have said it better myself. Just got back from  finally seeing The Force Awakens and we LOVED IT. It is back to the fun, adventure and even a bit of the comedy the originals brought without any of the nonsense (trade negotiations, senate meetings, awkward forced dialogue) of the prequels. Honestly I felt the same spark and magic coming out of the theater I felt back with the original trilogy that was lacking in all the prequels. I am greatly looking forward to all that comes next.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

As a kid who grew up with the Prequels, I will hereby play devil's advocate, and point out the good parts.

1. Ewan McGregor as young Obi Wan.

2. Mace Windu.

3. Christopher Lee as Count Dooku. Seriously, Christopher Lee could not give a bad performance if he tried.

4. Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine.

5.C-3PO, because Anthony Daniels.

6. We were thankfully spared an insipid origin story for Han Solo. The same can't be said for Boba Fett...

7. Nice to see a few planets that weren't Forest (Endor), Desert (Tatooine), Jungle (Dagobah), or Ice (Hoth). That said, we did get Waterworld (Kamino), and Hell... I mean, Lava Planet (Mustafar).

8. Darth Maul.

9. We got some really great lightsaber battles.

10. The opening act of Episode III is easily the best opening of the Prequels. Very well written, directed, and acted. The rest of III is so-so, of course, but that opening is quite action packed.

Now, with that out of the way, yes, I agree fully... The Prequels do suck pretty badly. They could have been so much...more. So much... Better. It is a shame.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Archived