Old-school PC Benchmark for your modern PC

RickR

I've been capturing video of Euro Truck Simulator 2 for my YT channel.  I already posted the first video and I have 4 or 5 more to edit before uploading.  So far I'm really digging this setup.  Regardless of those numbers from benchmark it is performing decent but it could do with some GPU improvements.

That video is directly from the GPU I'm currently using.  You will see in later videos where I'm playing around and testing in-game graphic enhancements.  I'm using a wired 360 controller which can be touchy at times and controls are also effected by the frame rate. If FPS are slow then the control response will suffer as well.

On 8/6/2019 at 8:32 AM, RickR said:

It is possible that they "change the curve" so that the newest PC's don't exceed 100% on the main 3 values.   That probably explains why your CPU went down a little. 

Pretty sure this is the case. I rebuild and added the missing components I took from my old PC to offload it to a new home and ran the benchmark again after a clean OS load and only the minimal drivers needed. It scored lower than it did in my first post with scores and yet, I actually have faster all SSDs in that build now and was able to get the aging i5 up to an always constant 3.8-3.9ghz clock speed shutting off the C states on the CPU. 

Point being is that it should have scored the same if not higher than it did in my first scores results post but yet had dropped. Additionally my new build I posted the scores for has also dropped. So yes, I would say they scale this thing as more and more higher end systems get tested and added to the DB for comparisons. Basically over the past year, more and more people are building up PCs like I did and similar or better and that causes the rest of the scores to scale down accordingly.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

UserBenchmarks: Game 55%, Desk 93%, Work 49%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 - 85.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 57.2%
SSD: Toshiba XG5 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB - 158%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 99.1%
USB: WD My Passport 259F 3TB - 39.6%
USB: WD Elements 25A3 8TB - 74.5%
RAM: Unknown HMA81GU6CJR8N-VK 4x8GB - 82.9%
MBD: Dell XPS 8930

Something is definitely wrong, my numbers used to be higher, but I don't know if it's all because of the grading scale mentioned in the message above, or if my system is running too much stuff.  I guess it's time for a little "maintenance".

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I'm not sure this test is all that accurate.  I ran the test this morning WITHOUT ANY CHANGES from yesterday, and my numbers changed.

UserBenchmarks: Game 58%, Desk 95%, Work 54%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 - 91.4%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 57.6%
SSD: Toshiba XG5 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB - 162.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 100.7%
USB: WD My Passport 259F 3TB - 40%
USB: WD Elements 25A3 8TB - 74.3%
RAM: Unknown HMA81GU6CJR8N-VK 4x8GB - 83.4%
MBD: Dell XPS 8930

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

My results today.  All curved lower than the results I posed in 2019.  It's safe to say Moore's Law is dead, as I have no desire to upgrade anything.  The only thing that's changed in my system is a larger data HDD. 

UserBenchmarks: Game 37%, Desk 93%, Work 32%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K - 90.6%
GPU: AMD R9 285 - 34%
SSD: Intel 600p Series NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 121.9%
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB - 89.6%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2400 C12 4x8GB - 73.9%
MBD: Asus STRIX H270F GAMING

I believe the results are also based on other user submitted scores in addition to the hardware speed increases causing the scale to constantly change. They would have to because otherwise those of us with PCs that were in the UFO range like mine was in 2019, can't stay that way forever. Eventually the newest stuff has to take over the UFO status and drop the rest of us that don't keep up with the Jones' 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 4/12/2021 at 1:21 PM, CrossBow said:

I believe the results are also based on other user submitted scores in addition to the hardware speed increases causing the scale to constantly change. They would have to because otherwise those of us with PCs that were in the UFO range like mine was in 2019, can't stay that way forever. Eventually the newest stuff has to take over the UFO status and drop the rest of us that don't keep up with the Jones' 

Yeah, you're right.  It did have UFO status, at least in the "desk" portion when I bought it.  I usually keep a PC 7 years before I get a new top of the line replacement, so I figure in 5 more years this one will be garbage scow class or something like that anyway.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I know they've updated the benchmark because it looks a little different.  My scores are a bit lower than before even though I have no hardware changes.

UserBenchmarks: Game 37%, Desk 88%, Work 31%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K - 90.3%
GPU: AMD R9 285 - 34%
SSD: Intel 600p Series NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 126.5%
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB - 86%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2400 C12 4x8GB - 72.1%
MBD: Asus STRIX H270F GAMING

And here is my garage desktop made up of a bunch of leftover parts.  

UserBenchmarks: Game 11%, Desk 71%, Work 10%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S - 74.3%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 640 - 7.5%
SSD: Transcend SSD370 128GB - 66.5%
HDD: WD Green 1.5TB (2010) - 45.6%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 2x8GB - 58.2%
MBD: Dell Vostro 270

Life is always surprising 🙂If someone told me a month ago I’d have reason to post in this thread again I would not have believed it. Buuuuuuuut……

Whelp, I know I am behind when it comes to modern gaming pc’s mostly because I play maybe 3-4 AAA GAMES a year if that, so I was not expecting to upgrade from our current machine anytime soon but due to certain events I wont detail, we have an upgrade, after setting up, testing, optimizing and seeing how it is for our typical tasks I am happy to say I am very happy and satisfied with the new addition. While by no means hardcore the CyberPC DESKTOP (Ryzen 5 1500x / Gtx 1060 6gb) has been relocated to the bedroom and is now my own personal tinkering and testing machine replaced with a new LENOVO LEGION T5 desktop (12th gen Intel Core i7-12700 / Nvidia RTX 3060ti 8gb) - So far it looks great, runs cool and quiet and I really prefer the shorter case allowing me easier access behind the machine etc. 😎😜

IMG_4005.jpeg

IMG_4034.jpeg

So my point finally, I decided to do one last USERBENCHMARK TEST on the slightly upgraded CyberPowerPC I posted about in this thread back in 2018 as well the results of the new Lenovo Legion that has replaced it. Guess I might have to play something with Ray tracing features or something the old 1060 Gpu might have struggled with 😝

User Benchmark last CyberPC results

UserBenchmarks: Game 47%, Desk 79%, Work 41%

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X - 71.7%

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 57.2%

SSD: Toshiba THNSNJ256G8NY 256GB - 92.2%

HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 87.9%

HDD: Toshiba MQ01ABD100V -63 1TB - 62.4%

HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB - 72.7%

RAM: Unknown V02D4LF8GB5285282400 2x8GB - 87.2%

MBD: Asus PRIME B350M-A

User Benchmark Lenovo Legion results 

UserBenchmarks: Game 151%, Desk 113%, Work 167%

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 - 111.6%

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 134.4%

SSD: Samsung MZVL21T0HCLR-00BL7 1TB - 485.5%

SSD: WDC WDBNCE0020PNC 2TB - 116.3%

RAM: Hynix HMCG66MEBUA081N 2x8GB - 129.2%

MBD: Lenovo 90SU000TFZ

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Wow!  Those are fantastic results on both machines!  Especially the new one.  I'm glad you posted this, as I forgot to do the same when I upgraded my main desktop.

But before I post that, I want to post the scores from my garage Frankenstein machine.  For those that don't know me that well, I spend a lot of time in my garage, especially this time of year.  So the PC gets used a lot for surfing, looking up "how-to" fix videos or information, 3d printing, listening to music, etc etc.  It's a really old Dell desktop with a 3rd gen core i7, but I will time-to-time upgrade when I have a need or have spare parts.  

Recently, I tried playing a few Steam games on it, and it was pretty bad.  So I started looking for a new video card.  Not too high power, or I'd have to update the power supply too!  I got really lucky and got an AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB on ebay for only $17 shipped.  So away with the old GT 640.  Here are the results:

OLD:

UserBenchmarks: Game 11%, Desk 66%, Work 10%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S - 66.9%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 640 - 7%
SSD: PNY CS900 240GB - 57.8%
HDD: WD Green 1.5TB (2010) - 38%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 2x8GB - 57.6%

New:

UserBenchmarks: Game 21%, Desk 75%, Work 18%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S - 68.6%
GPU: AMD R9 270 - 23.7%
SSD: PNY CS900 240GB - 58%
HDD: WD Green 1.5TB (2010) - 37.9%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 2x8GB - 58%

Not bad!  I was expecting this newer card to be about 2-3 times faster than the old one, and this benchmark shows that.

PXL_20230624_143343487.jpg

Edited by RickR

Interesting aside before I post my new computer scores...I still have the motherboard and CPU from my old main rig.  But I haven't decided what to do with them.  They won't fit in this old Dell case, and since I used my old case, power supply, and memory on my new rig....well, they don't serve much purpose without spending cash on a new case, power supply and DDR4 memory.  Furthermore, the CPU needs to be delidded because it was overheating -- that's why I upgraded in the first place.  

Probably not worth my time, as this old garage pc serves its function so well and is pretty much drama-free.  

Edited by RickR

Here are the results for my new main PC.  It has been a few months now, and I absolutely love it.  I use it every single day.  Like I said, most of the components are recycled from my old setup (including the SSD, hard drive, and blu-ray drive).  I could probably get a nice speed upgrade if I bought faster memory...but why bother?  Total cost of the upgrade was $200 for the motherboard and CPU.

UserBenchmarks: Game 112%, Desk 91%, Work 104%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - 88.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 127%
SSD: Intel 600p Series NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 118.1%
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB - 88.2%
MBD: Asrock B550M PG Riptide

5 hours ago, RickR said:

Here are the results for my new main PC.  It has been a few months now, and I absolutely love it.  I use it every single day.  Like I said, most of the components are recycled from my old setup (including the SSD, hard drive, and blu-ray drive).  I could probably get a nice speed upgrade if I bought faster memory...but why bother?  Total cost of the upgrade was $200 for the motherboard and CPU.

UserBenchmarks: Game 112%, Desk 91%, Work 104%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - 88.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 127%
SSD: Intel 600p Series NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 118.1%
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB - 88.2%
MBD: Asrock B550M PG Riptide

Nice Rick! Isn't it great just moving up in spec on your daily driver, even if I am purposely satisfied with my current hardware it IS admittedly nice once you've experienced even better hardware, I always feel even if I rarely will come close to using it to the full potential it's nice to know I CAN and when I do the performance with be smooth and snappy. Yeah I was perfectly happy to stick with my old rig from 2018 but it is our main hub for all our entertainment as well as my wife's Excel Office works etc, so we need something dependable so we agreed on a budget and the Legion PC and a couple additions (5TB external WD Black USB drive + 2TB WD Blue to fit internally to supplement the 1TB boot VNME all came in to just over $2000 CAD, almost $1000 CAD less then the maximum we agreed on of $3000, I knew the total including Tax/shipping etc only had to be under $3000 but because she was so generous (she is literally covering it) I wanted to not just max it out but, as is my nature, try to get value for money and balance price / performance as best I could. She was really happy with my final total, I really thought in the end I would have bought from NewEgg or Amazon but to my surprise, researching and comparing back and forth it was BEST BUY that provided this Legion PC  for limited time sale of $500 off at $1499, for that spec here in Canada searching for a week it was the best I found, the ONLY bundles I found comparable were machines by MSI and of course going back to CyberPC like the last machines, thing is my only experience with MSI was like 15 years ago an MSI motherboard died and pretty much took everything with it so it soured me, could be they are great now, my be well rated but I just have this thing that sticks in my head when I have a bad experience with a brand so I was very wary, as for CyberPowerPC I was happy with the end result of the included motherboard and power supply we received as those tend to be the things Pre-built PC companies seem to cheap out on but it came with an Asus Motherboard and EVGA Power supply and has been great. During my research though for machine that had the spec in the price range I kept looking over the images of the motherboard (they never specify brand) and it just looked cheap and generic and sure enough I came across more recent comments and discussions basically saying that yeah outside of their most high end offering they had really started cheaping out on the motherboards so that was making me wary as well so when I spotted this Lenovo Legion at best buy with specs even better than the MSI / CypberPower offerings I felt if I didn't jump on that I'd regret it and so far very happy, ordered it and it all arrived together with free shipping within 2 DAYS! I was straight to work inspecting, setup, updates, testing, honestly most of the time consumption was from transferring files and all the tweaks and customizations to the OS the last couple days, but as of last night (or early this morning if I am specific 😏) I was satisfied enough with the current state that I did my first imaging of the OS, I image the OS on all my machines regularly (hard lessons from past experiences) but even more so during the stages of getting a new PC where I want it to be, with this first initial base image done regardless of what happens from here I can have a base image OS footprint to restore so at least I will be back at this point I been working on the past two days. Typically after that I tend to image the OS on the main desktop and Laptop a couple times a month on average usually after a big feature update or OS revision update I will test for a while and if I am confident create a new up to date image. I wont lie, it is some of the most frustrating way to spend my time in some aspects, when I am temporarily stumped or something does not go as expected yet at the same time very satisfying once I figure something out or get to the end of a goal I set for myself. As I mention one thing I love about the new machine being shorted then the old plastic tower is having more accessibility to the ports on the back, it is a smaller more compact sturdier metal case that feels a lot more premium. Funny enough, with the CyberPowerPC in the bedroom now on a shorter table as well it's side ways behind the monitor as that was the only way it would fit, I have total easy access to the backside of the machine now fixing the biggest gripe I had with it so it seems everything just came together and I am really happy about that as that is not how things tend to typically go for me so I appreciate it more when it does. 

Lastly, oh I do ramble on 😁😛just snapped those to show you, as I mentioned with the replaced CyberPowerPC in the bedroom location (excuse the Polar Bear, he had to go somewhere and my wife will never part with it as it was the first Christmas gift I ever got her the first Christmas we were dating, she just asked for nothing more than a little stuffed Teddy Bear so I could not help myself) it's nice having easy access to the ports on back (it was such a chore getting to them in it's living room location as the case is so big and awkward) this will come even more handy now because after all the file transfers etc, it is literally a hobby / tinkering machine I can do anything with, hell I can wipe it and put Linux on it, not saying I will, BUT I COULD 🤔🤷‍♂️Who knows? It's nice to have options. Maybe a dedicated retro emulation station 😛

356278293_806457377455473_8655716340150725871_n.jpg

355818642_303470012007798_1270609123339078080_n.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I got a new desktop about a month ago.  It's a tiny Intel NUC.  Takes up a lot less space and it's super quiet.  Here are the userbenchmark results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 86%, Desk 104%, Work 93%
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700H - 97.2%
GPU: Intel Arc A730M Graphics - 82.7%
SSD: Kingston SFYRS500G 500GB - 293.7%
SSD: WD Blue SN570 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 204.8%
RAM: Kingston KF3200C20S4/8G 2x8GB - 101.5%
MBD: Intel NUC12SNKi73

I'm running Windows 11, and have had zero issues.  I've been very happy with this upgrade.  I did lose the super fast video card, but the built-in Intel 730 setup seems to work fine for all the games I play.  Much less power consumed and noise produced as well.

15 minutes ago, RickR said:

I got a new desktop about a month ago.  It's a tiny Intel NUC.  Takes up a lot less space and it's super quiet.  Here are the userbenchmark results:

I'm running Windows 11, and have had zero issues.  I've been very happy with this upgrade.  I did lose the super fast video card, but the built-in Intel 730 setup seems to work fine for all the games I play.  Much less power consumed and noise produced as well.

Which benchmark program did you use?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Those INTEL NUCS are wicked little mighty machines. For all daily tasks as well as emulation and light gaming you are good to go! 

- M. Bison

The Asus Tuf laptop we got some months ago to replace the old Dell, I have been trying to get it exchanged/refunded due to several Bluscreens and other issues 😞 Shame as it's the most powerful laptop I've ever personally used. But honestly, though seemingy a good deal at the time I don't "game" on it, I have my old desktop now in the bedroom and though its spec doesn't quite match this Laptop I've never felt I needed anything better for my use BUT if I did we still got the main Livingroom Lenovo Legion Desktop I posted previously that is even more powerful. But this laptop has a 15-inch screen though nice I prefer using the 27-inch Asus monitor on the Legion or the 21-inch monitor in the bedroom on the old CyberPower Desktop 🤷‍♂️Also, I have learned, I agree with what I have heard, outside of really being a gamer that requires true mobility you are better off with a gaming desktop and a mid-range laptop for all your basic work/browsing/video watching etc. Because when you push the dedicated GPU in the laptop the fans ramp up to cool the system to a distracting level imho. Anyway, regardless of whatever happens with this machine figured I'd put it through the benchmarks at least once to post here:

UserBenchmarks: Game 77%, Desk 107%, Work 74%
CPU: Intel Core i7-12650H - 101.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3050-Ti (Laptop) - 68.9%
SSD: Nvme SAMSUNG MZVLQ1T0HBLB-00B00 1TB - 288.8%
RAM: Samsung M425R1GB4BB0-CQKOL 2x8GB - 136.6%
MBD: Asus ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX517ZE_TUF517ZE

Edited by MaximumRD

- M. Bison

On 10/24/2023 at 1:38 PM, RickR said:

17 minutes ago, MaximumRD said:

UserBenchmarks: Game 77%, Desk 107%, Work 74%
CPU: Intel Core i7-12650H - 101.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3050-Ti (Laptop) - 68.9%
SSD: Nvme SAMSUNG MZVLQ1T0HBLB-00B00 1TB - 288.8%
RAM: Samsung M425R1GB4BB0-CQKOL 2x8GB - 136.6%
MBD: Asus ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX517ZE_TUF517ZE

Oh man, I'm glad you posted this.  It's so dang close to my main NUC desktop.  I haven't gamed a bunch on this thing, but everything I have tried has run smoothly.  I'm actually surprised that the Intel Arc A730 has a slightly higher score than the 3050TI.  Given a margin of error, I'm sure they are actually about the same. 

Hopefully your return goes smoothly, as it's no good to have a high end laptop you don't trust. 

Edited by RickR

11 minutes ago, RickR said:

Oh man, I'm glad you posted this.  It's so dang close to my main NUC desktop.  I haven't gamed a bunch on this thing, but everything I have tried has run smoothly.  I'm actually surprised that the Intel Arc A730 has a slightly higher score than the 3050TI.  Given a margin of error, I'm sure they are actually about the same. 

Hopefully your return goes smoothly, as it's no good to have a high end laptop you don't trust. 

I suspect being a 3050TI Mobile that even in dedicated gaming mode there is still enough thermal throttling taking place to hinder the results, I mean it certainly runs everything seemingly smoothly regardless of the task but yeah regardless of setting, tweaking, optimizing we've experienced a surprising number of bluscreens, some of the errors shown seem to suggest Nvidia GPU issues at that, I rolled back the drivers, updated drivers, even did a factory reset just to be sure only to have it bluescreen again shortly after getting everything set back up. Pissed about it all. AND OF COURSE during this whole back and forth with Costco and Asus for a couple of weeks now and still waiting to hear back, I factory set it AGAIN, spent the whole day setting everything back up, and....so far it's been stable, even purposely benchmarking and stressing it and it's been solid, so much so if I am honest I want to just cancel the return process BUT I KNOW the moment I do that it will suddenly throw up another Bluescreen and we will be back to square one. Sadly Asus has become very unreliable, once very reliable and trusted it began last year when some high-end motherboards began burning out CPU's and get this, Asus released an updated patched BIOS to fix the issue but said flashing it would void your warranty! After much bad press and backlash, they rolled that back but by then the damage was done and many sponsored reviews dropped Asus since then if you do some searching you will see they have just dropped off significantly, with reviews from end users with nothing but complaints, bad customer service, returns not being serviced properly or receiving the back same product and they refuse to replace instead fixing or replacing with other used parts etc. Of course, I didn't learn about any of this until after the fact and then I just hoped this being a 2022 model we had just got lucky with one they produced while they were still more reliable but it's not looking like that. 

- M. Bison