Jump to content
Retro_Club

Game Cartridge Has No Sound

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, 

I'm still fairly new to collecting for the 2600, but i've been loving so far. I recently purchased Yars' Revenge for the 2600. The game boots up and plays well, but there is absolutely no sound. I'm wondering what could be causing this. Could it be something that went bad in the cart itself? All of my other game carts that I own don't have this issue.

IMG_6561.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think that the cartridge might need its leads cleaned? It might not be getting a full video signal because of that. Try cleaning them and see what happens. You might want to consider cleaning the A2600 cartridge port as well. That might help. Also, as a precaution, check your connections to the TV as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, one more thing, it may be that there is a solder connection in the EPROM board that may need attention. That would be a possibility. It might not be making a complete circuit. I am just guessing, but I cannot be sure. It could be anything. But, these are possibilities anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A single game cart with no sound when other games DO have sound?   Never heard of that problem, and I'm not really sure it's possible...

May we get a better shot of the end label?  The only possibility I can think of is that you got a PAL cart.  If that was the case, you'd see a "P" on the end label.

Otherwise, I'd try playing another cart.  Turn the sound up. If that works, then try playing Yars immediately after. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

I could be wrong, but if your other carts have no sound issues, it sounds (pun intended) like the issue is with cart and not the system.

 

11 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

That is the first time I've heard of that issue.  Such a shame, too.  Your Yar looks really nice.  

 

10 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Do you think that the cartridge might need its leads cleaned? It might not be getting a full video signal because of that. Try cleaning them and see what happens. You might want to consider cleaning the A2600 cartridge port as well. That might help. Also, as a precaution, check your connections to the TV as well.

 

10 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Also, one more thing, it may be that there is a solder connection in the EPROM board that may need attention. That would be a possibility. It might not be making a complete circuit. I am just guessing, but I cannot be sure. It could be anything. But, these are possibilities anyway.

 

6 hours ago, RickR said:

A single game cart with no sound when other games DO have sound?   Never heard of that problem, and I'm not really sure it's possible...

May we get a better shot of the end label?  The only possibility I can think of is that you got a PAL cart.  If that was the case, you'd see a "P" on the end label.

Otherwise, I'd try playing another cart.  Turn the sound up. If that works, then try playing Yars immediately after. 

 

Thank you everyone for your help. I have cleaned to connector pins in the cart and the cartridge port with a little 91% isopropyl alcohol without any success. Also, my copy appears to be an NTSC version and not PAL as far as I can tell. I think my last resort would have to be to fully open the cart up and see if all of the leads are connecting to the pins or see if there are any broken solder joints on the board of the cartridge. But I don't plan on doing that until I find a fully functional copy to replace this one. whenever I do open it up, I'll be sure to post pictures and keep you guys updated.

And again, thank you.

 

IMG_6564.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...