Squad Challenge - Go Fish! (Atari 2600)

Justin

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Thanks guys, and I do apologize for running that extended version.  I need to spend some time cleaning up my harmony cart "homebrews" directory.  There's a lot of extra versions.  But it's a daunting task.  So many files. 

Nothing to apologize for Rick. It happens. You were playing honestly and you had integrity when it mattered. That makes you numero uno in my book 🏆

I think extended version was made only because people were maxing out the score and I think perhaps it doesn't revert back to zero.

I am guessing the extra digit capabilities makes the ROM size much larger than the origonal 2k

I dunno the file size of what's on my cart

ok the AA store says the filesize is 8k .... NOW the question is .... what's that 2k file that's on your Harmony :P

I'm ok with the 1368 score just put an asterix beside it 😉

1368.jpg.e1bfcde1409483117019c9ecd4768621.jpg

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations RickR!

Congratulations @RickR! What a fantastic score! I hope this was a fun challenge, we don't often get to play homebrew games in Squad Challenge, I think that's something we can do move of in the future. Shark! Shark! was always one of my favorite games on Intellivision and it was interesting to see a Shark! Shark! inspired homebrew hit the Atari 2600. A simple but fun concept. Thanks everyone for turning out to play a homebrew Squad Challenge. How do you think Go Fish! compares to other homebrew games on the Atari 2600? Does it live up to the fun of Shark! Shark! on the Intellivision?

@RickR posted an impressive score of 2,649 points! The legendary @TrekMD ranked 2nd on the leaderboard with 1,717 points, and @RadioPoultry was right behind him with 1,488 points. @chas10e rounds things out with a solid showing of 831 points. Congrats to RickR for his top ranking and to everyone who jumped in this squad challenge and shared a score! I'd like to encourage RickR to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a special challenge celebrating National Pac-Man Day. Be there!

final_standings_go_fish.gif

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

This game is excellent, but it doesn't quite live up to Shark Shark.  Mostly because it starts too slow.  The real fun and points start to rack up only when your fish is bigger, and that takes a while. 

It's really fun though, and thank you for doing this challenge!  It's so awesome to try new games. 

Congets @RickR ! I hadn't played many INTV games, never played "Shark shark" so I can't compare the two.

Yeah "Go Fish" seemed to start slow waiting in the weeds for some morsel to swim by

last night I had troubles with the electric eels and didn't improve my score 😬 just when I thought things were going good too

Oh well ... there's always the next squad challenge

9 hours ago, RickR said:

This game is excellent, but it doesn't quite live up to Shark Shark.  Mostly because it starts too slow.  The real fun and points start to rack up only when your fish is bigger, and that takes a while. 

It's really fun though, and thank you for doing this challenge!  It's so awesome to try new games. 

So you're saying that if George Plimpton were to compare the Atari 2600 fish game with Intellivision® Shark! Shark!, he'd think you'd agree that Intellivision® Shark! Shark! plays like the real thing?

1 hour ago, RickR said:

I'd get George Plimpton and Alan Alda in a cage match to settle it once and for all.  My money is on Hawkeye. 

Then you would enjoy the 1968 film Paper Lion (based on Plimpton's nonfiction book) with Alan Alda portraying George Plimpton on the big screen. 

paper_lion_2048x2048.jpg

I've always had a theory that I believe holds water, that when Atari noticed Mattel's successful Intellivision ads they asked themselves "How do you top George Plimpton as a spokesperson?" with the answer being "Hire the guy who plays George Plimpton on the big screen".

12 hours ago, Justin said:

I've always had a theory that I believe holds water, that when Atari noticed Mattel's successful Intellivision ads they asked themselves "How do you top George Plimpton as a spokesperson?" with the answer being "Hire the guy who plays George Plimpton on the big screen".

I think Commodore took the cake with William Shatner (although Leonard Nimoy would have been even better).  But I'm just thankful Atari didn't choose Bill Cosby like TI did.