Dumpster Dive

Atari 5200 Guy

Well. I had an interesting find today while taking out the trash.  I don't normally dumpster dive very often because I don't want to bring bugs into my home but there was two items in there that looked to be OK.  I only got a pic of one right now...I'll get a pic of the other in a bit.

IMG_20201022_223253.jpg.cf170b2df55b58b010e9d5e1e36601d7.jpg

Its a 2002 Toshiba 20" with a built in DVD player.  I've tested it and, while it works, it has a few problems I'm hoping I can resolve.  My main concern is the tube because the image information is about 1/3 down from the top but the image quality was clear and bright and appeared normal otherwise.  I'm hoping I can find a vertical hold adjustment to correct it.  I also need to find out what is keeping the power button from working.  I'll write my diary on it as usual and I will get pics of the other item once I clean it up.  I really hope I can fix this because these old tube TVs work best with retro gaming gear but are really hard to find these day in good condition.

You might see if there's a setting for the vertical size in the "setup" menu of the TV.  Unfortunately, sometimes you need the original remote to get there.  You  might also search for a technical manual on-line for that set.  Sometimes, they hide the little setting screws behind tiny holes in the back of the case. 

Good luck!  Looks like it will make a great gaming TV if you can fix it.  I love the flat tube.

Just now, RickR said:

You might see if there's a setting for the vertical size in the "setup" menu of the TV.  Unfortunately, sometimes you need the original remote to get there.  You  might also search for a technical manual on-line for that set.  Sometimes, they hide the little setting screws behind tiny holes in the back of the case. 

Good luck!  Looks like it will make a great gaming TV if you can fix it.  I love the flat tube.

Thanks Rick. I was just typing out a similar reply when you stole it from me! But yeah, @Atari 5200 Guy. What Rick said.

5 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

There were two small pots where one was for vertical position.  The other was on the power circuit and just said B+.  The flyback transformer had the usual two for focus and screen adjustments.  Nothing made any difference.  However, I did clean it up and even with the screen being like is I can live with it.

hi 5200 guy,

awesome find, hope you can figure it out. does it have a full set in inputs?

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

4 hours ago, Video 61 said:

hi 5200 guy,

awesome find, hope you can figure it out. does it have a full set in inputs?

lance

www.atarisales.com

Here you go.  It has another input up front with a headphone jack, too.  The rear has a really weird connector I've never seen before.

IMG_20201024_033346.jpg.aa1fed4c0934addc1ae269280b3367e3.jpg

3 hours ago, socrates63 said:

What model is the Toshiba @Atari 5200 Guy?

And here you go.

IMG_20201024_033403.jpg.a8242b9e836a522ff474f99b43d00afd.jpg

On a side note, this TV is a mixed breed.  It says Toshiba but only one processor in the TV is Toshiba branded.  The tube was made by Orion (remember them?), the DVD player by Sanyo who in 2002 was a respected brand that did make quality products.  That's who made my other CRT that I absolutely love to use.  The yoke attached to the tube has JVC on it.  Other processors in the TV are also branded Orion or JVC.  Everything works in this unit but that top of the screen.  The image is not altered by those lines but it does seem to be struggling with something.

18 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Here you go.  It has another input up front with a headphone jack, too.  The rear has a really weird connector I've never seen before.

IMG_20201024_033346.jpg.aa1fed4c0934addc1ae269280b3367e3.jpg

And here you go.

IMG_20201024_033403.jpg.a8242b9e836a522ff474f99b43d00afd.jpg

On a side note, this TV is a mixed breed.  It says Toshiba but only one processor in the TV is Toshiba branded.  The tube was made by Orion (remember them?), the DVD player by Sanyo who in 2002 was a respected brand that did make quality products.  That's who made my other CRT that I absolutely love to use.  The yoke attached to the tube has JVC on it.  Other processors in the TV are also branded Orion or JVC.  Everything works in this unit but that top of the screen.  The image is not altered by those lines but it does seem to be struggling with something.

hi 5200 guy,

WOW! that is really a mixture of companies. not a bad input selection. i wonder if it was made to have another t.v. slaved into it?

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

I half expected to see some Sony ICs in this unit but there were none.  What was by JVC was audio circuits and speakers and they made high end audio gear.  Orion was a brand I associated as a cheap brand only found at Walmart in my hometown.  They were OK but just basic stuff.  I was surprised to see a flat tube made by them because every Orion TV I seen didn't have that.

I've not got everything set up yet but when I do I'll post pics.  I have a cheap programmable remote I'm going to try to use to gain access to the menu system and see what all I can adjust.  I didn't find any burned out or bulging parts.  I checked all caps for leaks.  Everything seemed OK.  Then again if one part is bad it will be like finding a needle in a haystack.  I have a feeling it might be a transistor and finding those to be bad is not an easy task.

The mix of manufacturer parts, reminds me back in the day, before the clear winner was obvious I admit I preferred and was in the BETA camp of the format wars. I had and loved my sleek looking ZENITH branded Beta machine. Opened it up one day, might have been to clean the heads manually or just my usual curiosity / tinkering, anyway several parts inside were branded as SONY. So I guess SONY was the actual manufacturer of ZENITH BETA machines? If I recall before SONY started their own line of VHS decks they pretty much had a stranglehold on the BETA format which I guess explains them actually being the manufacturer with I guess ZENITH and I am guessing other brands just licensing SONY tech to put in their machines. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

46 minutes ago, MaximumRD said:

The mix of manufacturer parts, reminds me back in the day, before the clear winner was obvious I admit I preferred and was in the BETA camp of the format wars. I had and loved my sleek looking ZENITH branded Beta machine. Opened it up one day, might have been to clean the heads manually or just my usual curiosity / tinkering, anyway several parts inside were branded as SONY. So I guess SONY was the actual manufacturer of ZENITH BETA machines? If I recall before SONY started their own line of VHS decks they pretty much had a stranglehold on the BETA format which I guess explains them actually being the manufacturer with I guess ZENITH and I am guessing other brands just licensing SONY tech to put in their machines. 

Sony invented BETA to compete against VHS.  BETA had better quality but VHS could hold more recording time.  Thus VHS won the war and Sony gave up BETA and went the VHS route.  So your Zenith Beta machine might have been a rebranded Sony BETA machine which means Zenith paid a license to Sony to use the technology.  It was a common business practice.  A similar thing happened in Japan to bring a vinyl videodisc made in Japan by JVC to American shores but JVC got cold feet at the last minute and just did a Japan only release.  That way of doing business still continues today.  

8 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

That stranglehold on the technology is one reason why Sony lost the war.  VHS was more readily available for any manufacturer to make. 

Interestingly, the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war ended in Sony's favor.  Probably because they added the technology to the PS3 and also they went after the major movie studios more urgently.