GATO (Atari XE)

Hi guys!

I've been trying to figure out GATO for the XE computers.  It loos like fun and so far I'm having some fun figuring out parts of it but I need a bit of help. 

I can't figure out how the map is sectioned and the instructions are no help. One of my missions is to rescue a downed pilot but he is going to drown before I get to him because I can't figure out where he is.

IMG_20230614_005902.jpg.e318502413f5f128d8083c64b051abaa.jpg

Has anyone here played the game before and might know how to read the map?  I need to learn how the map is sectioned.  Any advise would be nice.

PS - this is one of several titles Trameil Atari put out on cartridge for the XE that didn't really make sense.  It felt like shovelware, as the games were already out for several years and just repackaged.  Some of these were really good and inspired choices (like Blue Max and One on One), but others were known duds (like Fight Night and Gato).  Honestly, why didn't they pick the best of the best and skip the stinkers?  Or at least maybe try to improve them first. 

No offense intended for anyone that likes these games, this is just my opinion.  In my mind, the question they should have asked was "Is it fun?"  Gato is not IMO. 

@Atari 5200 Guy, you might consider looking at "Final Legacy" instead, which is the same genre of game but much more fun.

9 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

So I'm basically trying to find fun in a game that really is not that great?

Well, if you find it fun, there is no crime there.  But I think the general consensus is that it's a stinker. 

What's interesting is that there are very few youtube reviews of this game.  Look like an opportunity for someone!

6 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

I guess my memories is failing me. Being a Spectrum Holobyte game, I always thought GATO was considered a classic back in the day. I've never played it myself although I've always wanted to.

Now is the chance, as maybe @Atari 5200 Guy can help you along.  Heck, if you start, maybe I can also give it a go to make sure my old memories still hold. 

1 hour ago, Justin said:

This is probably my favorite game specifically for the Atari XE! Although it may take a back seat to Rescue on Fractalus. Great game! I need to get it booted up and play it a bit to refresh my memory and then I could be of more help!

Oops!

I guess this goes to show that we all have our favorites and there is no wrong answer.  But if you ever do play Gato again, share your thoughts!

I am putting serious efforts in this game because it looks more detailed in game play than Silent Service.  I just need to know how the map is coordinated.  Maybe all if us can come up with a bit of a guide to this game to help others. Right now I just need help reading the map so I know where to go to work in my missions.  The included instructions don't tell anything of the sort.

So far I am liking the sort of slowness of the game as it is a nice break from the fast action stuff.  I just really need to sit down and learn how to play it.  

14 hours ago, RickR said:

Now is the chance, as maybe @Atari 5200 Guy can help you along.  Heck, if you start, maybe I can also give it a go to make sure my old memories still hold. 

Maybe combined efforts could help create a small guide for this game.  Anyone interested in doing something like that?  I know Justin likes things like that.  It could be an Atari I/O exclusive.

1686822821786438784891155650578.jpg.ca8bc493ea81ccc85e012686d633ba50.jpgI'm all setup and going to try to do the first mission it gives me.

NOTE: Missions in this game are random!  The heart of the game is to do as many missions as you can before you get completely destroyed.  And from what I've read in the manual you can perform repairs and other things to stay in the game.  In theory a single game could last indefinitely with improved skills.

My first mission?  I have to save a downed pilot.

16868231108639207538861479883425.jpg.363caef3f0687dfecbe2ac7e4e68849c.jpg

Switching to nighttime is easy.  Just press TAB and click then press [3] to change Time of Day to 0. 1 is daytime.  But where is sector 14? Ill let you guys know how it goes. I'll either be successful or come walking with my tail between my legs.

Here we go!  A few pointers for those who try to play this game:

1. Expect long play times as this is not a fast paced game
  2. If you can't get your sub to move make sure you are in Battery mode (press B on keyboard) as engines are used only for recharging the batteries and only when at the water surface
  3. Pressing [M] at anytime during game play will instantly change your mission.  Make sure you want to change your mission before pressing that key. It will not ask and if you are in the middle of a mission when that key gets pressed you will start a new mission with whatever condition you are currently in.

I haven't tried to do anything else yet other than try to rescue this stranded pilot.  I will let you guys know if I'm successful or not.  I dived 100 feet down to avoid detection and have rudders full speed.  I'm heading east until I get to one of the two sections that could be sector 14.

16868248093826596016832209493690.jpg.b4562fbbd1e9f78a7ecc5e553eb813c9.jpg

And my map.  While looking in the manual I did find a map with sector numbers.

16868251198334340696706623747300.jpg.bf794833f44a0330a0706e1583f880fd.jpg

Map coordinates:

16868251006287513453472094612504.jpg.a4c7d399cf9f1cf90d9e0a31bb4fd1b7.jpg

I hope this helps.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

4 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Expect long play times as this is not a fast paced game

This is what I remember the most.  Lots of tedious time getting from point A to point B.  And navigating around the islands is hard. 

I hope you get a mission for sinking a ship soon, as I remember that being pretty rewarding. 

Edited by RickR

On 6/14/2023 at 4:33 PM, Justin said:

This is probably my favorite game specifically for the Atari XE! Although it may take a back seat to Rescue on Fractalus. Great game! I need to get it booted up and play it a bit to refresh my memory and then I could be of more help!

hi Justin,

i remember when we discussed when atari shelved gato for the 7800, were customers ever pissed. the 7800 was getting a good rep for simulators. the sims on 8-bit machines required some imagination.

the 16k ones like jumbo jet pilot, and submarine commander were spartan, but once you got past the dots in the games, they were quite enjoyable. the microprose sims, and the S.S.I. sims were the best on the 8-bit. but there were others to.

ace of aces is a very good sim/action game. to bad mine are all gone but one for the XEGS.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

On 6/15/2023 at 8:32 PM, Video 61 said:

hi Justin,

i remember when we discussed when atari shelved gato for the 7800, were customers ever pissed. the 7800 was getting a good rep for simulators. the sims on 8-bit machines required some imagination.

the 16k ones like jumbo jet pilot, and submarine commander were spartan, but once you got past the dots in the games, they were quite enjoyable. the microprose sims, and the S.S.I. sims were the best on the 8-bit. but there were others to.

ace of aces is a very good sim/action game. to bad mine are all gone but one for the XEGS.

lance

www.atarisales.com

Your memories of this would be an excellent topic for us to dive into in a Lance's Laboratory blog entry 🙂