Recharged Squad Challenge 017 - Yars' Revenge: Enhanced

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

YARS' REVENGE: ENHANCED
Atari VCS
Controller: MODERN CONTROLLER / CLASSIC CONTROLLER / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level:  ULTIMATE YARS (GAME 6)

Play on: Real Hardware ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 31, 2023

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 1 through July 31, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

This is a Club VCS Exclusive Challenge. All Club VCS players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real Atari VCS hardware. Choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing YARS' REVENGE: ENHANCED - ULTIMATE YARS (GAME 6).

Ultimate Yars features a bouncing Zorlon Cannon, plus some unusual twists that distinguish it from the other Yar games. First, you must bounce the Yar against the left side of the screen to make the Zorlon Cannon appear. Also, to make the cannon appear, you need five TRONS. TRONS are units of energy which you can collect at the following rate:

Eat a cell from the shield: 1 TRON

Touch the Qotile: 2 TRONS

Catch a Zorlon Cannon shot after it bounces off the shield: 4 TRONS

If a Yar bounces on the left side with less than five TRONS, it will not get a shot, but it won't lose the TRONS it has either. (Each time a Yar is destroyed, it loses its TRONS). Each Yar has a capacity of 255 TRONS. If a Yar tries to take on more than that, it will short out and the Yar will lose all its TRONS. The count of TRONS is not displayed on the screen. Yar scouts understand the count instinctively. 

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 17th Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge, we're celebrating the start of Atari's 51st years by taking on YARS' REVENGE: ENHANCED from ATARI 50!

YARS' REVENGE: ENHANCED  is a remake of the original Yars' Revenge for the Atari 50 collection, adding a new coat of paint to the classic Atari 2600 shooter. Players can switch to the old-style presentation and gameplay at the touch of a button.  Developed by Digital Eclipse for the Atari 50 collection, the game is a loving tribute to the HSW original. For an extra challenge, we'll be playing Ultimate Yars!  Be sure to select game 6 before starting the game!

Club VCS Recharged Squad Contest

This game is the first title in our fourth Club VCS contest giveaway! Prize details will be announced shortly. 

1)  All challenge participants will receive one (1) entry for each challenge in which they submit a valid score!

2) The top scorer of each challenge will receive two (2) additional entries - for a total of three (3) entries in a single challenge!

3) On Twitch or Youtube?  Stream or record and post your ClubVCS high score attempt for one (1) additional entry in each round.  You must post a public link to the video in the Challenge.

BUT ARE THERE BUTTONS? 

Yes! We've made another set of ClubVCS buttons to celebrate the games in this series. There will be two ways to get a button set.

1) Win a challenge.

2) Post a valid score to all challenges in the 6 game series.

Only one button set will be mailed per member during the series.

This contest is open to everybody, including Atari I/O Moderators, with a U.S. or Canada  mailing address. It's really easy, all you have to do is participate be a Club VCS member and participate in our Recharged Squad Challenges.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Sabertooth

2 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

Gave this a couple plays over the weekend for a few minutes - admittedly have never seriously tried the Ultimate Yars mode - love the change it brings!

It appears I’m not eligible to post scores for this challenge, but I’ll still be playing along within the confines of my living room for fun!

Keep your eyes on this forum...we usually do this one every year. 

30 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

Well I just mean that, while I have Atari50 on another console, I don’t plan on re-purchasing it for the VCS at this point.

Feel free to play along and post as a "shadow" player. We'll asterisk the score and it won't count toward the series 4 giveaway, but you are certainly welcome to join in!

Congratulations @RickR, the winner of our Yars' Revenge Enhanced: Ultimate Yars Squad Challenge!

Rick battled the Qotile for his first Recharged Squad Challenge win with a terrific last minute score of 160,303! I used the zorlon canon to blast my way to second place with a score of 140,881.  @Mockduck nibbled the shield to take third with 52,411. 

A big shout out to @Smell Dawg, who joined in as a shadow player and kicked off the series with a score of 27,086! (Note: this score will not count toward the giveaway.)

As the winner of this round @RickR will receive 3 entries in the upcoming giveaway!

Everyone else will receive one entry!

I'd like to encourage @RickR to post this high score on the Scoreboard so we can make sure this Challenge continues on!

Congratulations to Rick on a fantastic win and to everyone else who jumped in!

NOTE: Our next Recharged Squad Challenge is ALIEN ABDUCTION!  Live now!

image.png

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif.1477e13df3b11a4b12f5c8b15459a89f.gif

Edited by Sabertooth