Sabertooth

image.png

Release Date: April 23, 2024

Retail: $29.99

Developer: Dreams Uncorporated

Publisher: Atari

Official Site

Synopsis:

As a newly appointed captain of the Pegasus corporation, you must guide a roster of colorful pilots, eclectic advisors and state-of-the-art landers through a taxing series of missions. Deliver cargo, retrieve resources, and rescue stranded pilots as you navigate a mysterious universe of moons and planets.

It’s a thankless job, replete with tension and  danger, and it takes a psychological toll on your crew. But someone has to keep this unseen lifeblood of the interplanetary economy moving. 

When a mysterious portal appears, leading to a strange, unexplored planet, you will find you are on a collision course with some sinister truths that lie unseen behind the universe.  Poor flying and fatigue will stress your pilots, and can lead to sensory illusions … the bane of long-haul solo pilots. They may start to see things that may not be real – is that a mine or a fish? And what’s with those celestial pink elephants?! 

With multiple pilots, four ships and a dozen upgrades to collect, you can get the job done if you can manage it all …  if not, the stakes are high, and not just for your career.

Edited by Sabertooth

There has been a lot of confusion regarding Lunar Lander: Beyond and whether or not the game will be published on the VCS.

First, the VCS was not mentioned in the press release, nor did the logo appear at the end of the YouTube trailer. The VCS logo did appear on the version of trailer posted to Atari's website.

Second, in response to the confusion/speculation the above omission caused, Atari's Discord community manager posted the following clarification(s):

Screenshot_20230719_222632_Discord.jpg

Screenshot_20230719_222748_Discord.jpg

All good, right? Not so fast! Enter Atari VP of Games who stated that Lunar Lander: Beyond is not "confirmed" for the VCS.

Screenshot_20230719_223000_Discord.jpg

Speculation ensued on both the Atari Games server and the Atari VCS server. Obviously, Atari diehards are rightfully upset.

Time will tell what happens, but I'm curious, what are your thoughts? Will you purchase and play this game if not released for the VCS? What does this mean for Atari's support of the platform going into 2024?

Sound off!

Edited by Sabertooth

3 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

I'd love to have Lunar Lander on the 5200!  Back in the day it was one of my favorite games.  And to this day I will NOT admit to how many quarters I dropped into that game.

This is a really good idea.  That 5200 analog joystick would be a real benefit to a Lunar Lander game. 

11 hours ago, RickR said:

This is a really good idea.  That 5200 analog joystick would be a real benefit to a Lunar Lander game. 

Absolutely!  I usually use an all-in-one digital stick, but for that game it would be worth pulling out my old digital stick... or even consider making a 3D printed Lunar Lander type handle overlay just for that game.

LunarLander.jpg.8dd28eb99d1871bc86cb255d9caee6c9.jpg

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

A demo of Lunar Landar Beyond was made available on 10/9 as a part of Steam Next Fest. Here's a quick gameplay video. 

First thoughts are that 1) it's not doing anything the VCS can't do; and, 2) it could greatly benefit from Classic Controller spinner support.

It will be a real shame if this doesn't make it to the VCS.

On 10/29/2023 at 8:01 AM, Sabertooth said:

A demo of Lunar Landar Beyond was made available on 10/9 as a part of Steam Next Fest. Here's a quick gameplay video. 

First thoughts are that 1) it's not doing anything the VCS can't do; and, 2) it could greatly benefit from Classic Controller spinner support.

It will be a real shame if this doesn't make it to the VCS.

I guess I'm just getting too old.  To me this new version has too much flash and extraneous stuff for my taste.  The lunar landings took place in the late 60's and early 70's, so for me the vector style black and white graphics of the original game were just fine and era appropriate.  About the only "improvement" that I would go for would be a green monitor.  I know opinions vary, but that is just me. What else can I add except, "Get off my lawn!" 

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

3 hours ago, - Ω - said:

I guess I'm just getting too old.  To me this new version has too much flash and extraneous stuff for my taste

You’re not alone. I get that it’s Lunar Lander “Beyond”, but it’s not for me. Can anyone confirm whether or not the Recharged series has evolved into the Beyond series, in terms of the flash look/extras.

Not for me but I hope they do well with sales. 

47 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

I can see this being a very engaging title if Classic Controller twist controls were implemented!

BOOM!  Exactly.  Frankly, if you like the old version, emulate and play the old version. 

I personally feel that the updated games on VCS, when done with quality and care, have been outstanding.  Gravitar Recharged is a good comparison for this Lunar Lander update.  The new Gravitar is a lot of fun, and I've spent a ton of happy time on it. 

I always enjoyed the arcade version of Lunar Lander. It's early but I love the physics. Gravitar, and Thrust+ Platinum from @thrust26 are two favorites. Although Lunar Lander: Beyond has a bit too much of that "flash game" look to it, I really like the added elements shown in the video. Having to "hack" the exit was a cool touch, plus having missions to accomplish and things to do other than landing and refueling is really nice. I feel like this would've made the perfect Lynx game. With any luck, one day maybe it will. I haven't played this game on Steam but I hope to give it a thumbs up if and when it's released on the VCS. I'd be thrilled to see more coming out for the Atari VCS. I worry that 18 months from now things will become dry for the VCS, with Atari's attention focused on the 2600+ and other offerings. Hopefully that won't be the case and the VCS will live a long life with lots of cool games to come.

1 hour ago, MistaMaddog said:

I had a feeling it would come to the VCS, as long as they knew it can be ported there...just like Haunted House.

I was hoping, but the new trailer last month continued to exclude the VCS. Glad that it's official again and made it into the press announcements.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/03/lunar-lander-beyond-lands-on-pc-and-consoles-this-april