The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Justin

10 hours ago, Justin said:

Who has seen The Super Mario Bros. Movie? Was it enjoyable? Two thumbs up? 👍👍

I asked my adult children if they wanted to go see it when they were visiting recently and got a resounding "no". 

I am definitely going to watch it when it starts streaming at home.  I think that will be in August on Peacock. 

10 hours ago, socrates63 said:

What happened with ST Prodigy?

Paramount+ removed it from the streaming library.  Although I guess physical media is either coming or already available.  I guess we should all be aware that streaming services can remove content at their own whim or for business reasons.  And rumors have it that Disney+ and Paramount+ are the ones that are having financial troubles right now, so keep your eye out for mergers and other turbulence.

https://trekmovie.com/2023/06/27/star-trek-prodigy-removed-from-paramount-as-fans-rally-to-save-the-show/

18 minutes ago, RickR said:

Paramount+ removed it from the streaming library.  Although I guess physical media is either coming or already available.  I guess we should all be aware that streaming services can remove content at their own whim or for business reasons.  And rumors have it that Disney+ and Paramount+ are the ones that are having financial troubles right now, so keep your eye out for mergers and other turbulence.

https://trekmovie.com/2023/06/27/star-trek-prodigy-removed-from-paramount-as-fans-rally-to-save-the-show/

Yep, that's unfortunately the nature of much digital content. We live at the whim of the content owners. I have a friend who refuses to "buy" digital comic books for that reason. We are only buying a license to access the content and not the ownership of the content.

Pluto TV is a division within Paramount. The message we've been given from executives is that while P+ is doing well (relatively speaking since most(?) streaming services aren't profitable according to sources outside the company), the economy is not trending up anytime soon so the company is looking to cut costs now ahead of the expected downturn. The company recently put in a hiring freeze. Although the company is still hiring, it's very limited compared to the past few years.

Intend on watching it, but haven't done so just yet!  In recent years I've leaned more towards digital movie ownership rather than physical (perhaps my focus on physical video games is taking too much basement space? Ha) - but we (the lady and I) aren't avid movie-watchers, either.  

That being said - I am super glad I have physical copies of Ren & Stimpy, since I sure as heck am not going to subscribe to yet-another-streaming-service just to watch this one particular show!

6 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm sure the writer/actor strike has more to do with this cost-cutting than threats of a slowed economy. 

I agree that the strike has a big impact on the company. The message we received was given much prior to the strike during the negotiations. No doubt the execs read the tea leaves on the negotiations. 

10 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Yep, that's unfortunately the nature of much digital content. We live at the whim of the content owners. I have a friend who refuses to "buy" digital comic books for that reason. We are only buying a license to access the content and not the ownership of the content.

This is why I don't buy any digital content.  I'll buy the Blu-Ray with the digital version because I can always watch the Blu-Ray even if the digital version is removed.  Digital comic books are the same thing.  Amazon essentially destroyed Comixology.  Try finding those books now.  It may be "convenient" to have digital content but it really isn't yours.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

This is why I don't buy any digital content.  I'll buy the Blu-Ray with the digital version because I can always watch the Blu-Ray even if the digital version is removed.  Digital comic books are the same thing.  Amazon essentially destroyed Comixology.  Try finding those books now.  It may be "convenient" to have digital content but it really isn't yours.

I agree with all of this, with one exception being that while I preserve physical media, I've built a collection of "all-time favorite" movies on digital (iTunes) for the convenience of being able to watch anywhere any time.

I only purchase movies when they go on sale for $4.99. This happens pretty frequently with iTunes and Amazon. (I don't mean for this to sound spammy but I want to share my experience with all of you) For the past two years I've been using a website called "CheapCharts.info" to create a personalized "wishlist" of my favorite movies, shows, music and books - and they notify me when those go on sale. If it's a movie that I don't have to have right this second - normally priced at $19.99 - it will notify me when iTunes has the movie on sale for $4.99, which is often enough to build a great library without spending much money. I look at it like a movie rental - if it's a movie I like enough to where I'd be okay paying $3.99 to rent it at Blockbuster back in the day, I'm okay paying $4.99 to own it on digital just for the convenience 🙂 It's worked out quite well for me.

So for example - I love Alfred Hitchcock movies and have been able to buy up the entire collection in HD or 4K when it went on sale last year on iTunes for $19 instead of something like $179. Another example is on Black Friday I was able to pick up Dexter - The Complete Series on sale for $19, down from $140. Price charting is shown for every movie, show, album etc. and you can see price trends. If you're patient, the savings can really add up and enable you to build a big library, in addition to owning physical media which I am a huge proponent of. I know there are alternative means of acquiring movies digitally, but this is easy and inexpensive enough to where I don't mind it and don't want to spend all the time getting them through alternative methods.

👉 To be clear about "CheapCharts.info" - this website is only used to build my personalized wishlist of movies - not to make any purchases whatsoever, those all happen through iTunes or Amazon or Google Play. The website does NOT require any personal or payment information and does not link with your iTunes, Amazon or Google accounts. I've been using it for a while now and have found it very convenient. I check that site every few days, along with iTunes to see what deals are out there.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:00 AM, Justin said:

it will notify me when iTunes has the movie on sale for $4.99, which is often enough to build a great library without spending much money.

So for example, today I was notified that E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial in 4K is for sale on iTunes for $4.99

https://www.cheapcharts.info/us/itunes/movies/544128124/E.T.-The-Extra-Terrestrial

So is the original Karate Kid and many others. It's a good time to pick some of these movies up for the price of a rental.

Well, the Mrs and I finally watched the Super Mario Bros Movie.  It was good, although a bit simplistic in plot.  No matter.  It's amazing the worlds and characters that Nintendo built up to fill an entire movie without having to waste time introducing characters. 

Edited by RickR

One more thought before I shut up:  I seem to recall a bunch of pushback/negativity regarding Crisp Rat (whoops, I mean Chris Pratt) doing the voice of Mario when the preview was released.  IMO, he did a really good job with it.  As an Italian-American, I am very glad they went away from the horrible stereotypical Mario spiel.  A+ job from him and most of the other voice cast too.  Don't get me wrong, in video-game sized chunks, it is fine.  But a 90 minute movie of that would have been grating.