OMG! Really! - Vectrex prices on eBay

- Ω -

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

The Vectrex is an amazing console. I’m happy that I finally have a couple in my collection. I play it quite often. 

I was surprised Atari didn't try to develop the Atari Cosmos more in the direction of a smaller Vectrex with added Holoptic displays. Vector graphics would've made the Atari Cosmos something incredible. I can understand why it was canceled before release. When you see it and realize other than the "Holoptic" display, it's really just a few LED lights, it seems more primitive than a Nintendo Game & Watch game.

55 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

It also remains a unique home system as there are no other true vector systems. 

True. The Vectrex clearly suffered from coming out at the wrong time (just before the crash), but it’s interesting that no one since, has taken another shot at releasing a vector home console. Of course, now that CRTs are a thing of the past, we’ll never see one.

I’d love to know how many were produced and how many remain in working condition today. 

Edited by sramirez2008

7 hours ago, - Ω - said:

I could probably swing $300 if it was in good condition and came with a couple of games like Battlezone and Lunar Lander.  Honestly though though, I prefer not to go the shipping route on one though, I'd be afraid of receiving damaged goods.

Battlezone and Lunar Lander didn't officially get released on the Vectrex. Those versions you've seen are likely the actual arcade roms of those games running in a special emulation mode from a VecFever cartridge or possibly the PiTrex (I think it can do this..). Using the Vectrex screen and some hardware to make it work. Star Wars:TAG is also playable in this way. But getting a VecFever cartridge is going to cost you even more than a working Vectrex these days.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, - Ω - said:

Well, I guess I'm going to have to file the Vectrex under "unobtanium", for me at least.  If a cartridge is going to be more than the game unit, there does not seem to be much point in me devoting any more time to this endeavor.  Shame, I was starting to get excited.

I honestly didn't mean to rain on your parade, but I thought you should know that those games and many of the other Atari vector based games were never released officially for the console and it honestly isn't quite powerful enough to run arcade accurate ports of those games. There are some home brews that are quite similar and many feel that the included Minestorm game that is built in on each Vectrex is just as fun as Asteroids ever was. Heck I think I like Stramash Zone more than Battle zone, but that homebrew is now fetching expensive prices as well these days.

Anyone getting into or starting with the Vectrex needs to know that it is very much a system that if you see a homebrew game or device that even remotely interests you that is currently available, you do NOT sit around and think about buying. You pretty much need to buy those items then and there to get them at their best price because they always increase quite a lot in the future in most cases.

I should also note, that while it hasn't been mentioned here. The games released by Kristof Tuts are worth owning a Vectrex for. Seriously, his port of Time Pilot called Vector Pilot is one of the best home brew games on any system. And the best part is that his games are not only amazing, but you can still buy them directly from him for far less money than scalpers on the 'bay would have you believe.

http://www.kristofsvectrexgames.be/

I will note that his website will trigger most AV browser guards so you might have to add that link to an exclusion list like I had to in order to get it to come up and work.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

I honestly didn't mean to rain on your parade, but I thought you should know that those games and many of the other Atari vector based games were never released officially for the console and it honestly isn't quite powerful enough to run arcade accurate ports of those games. There are some home brews that are quite similar and many feel that the included Minestorm game that is built in on each Vectrex is just as fun as Asteroids ever was. Heck I think I like Stramash Zone more than Battle zone, but that homebrew is now fetching expensive prices as well these days.

Anyone getting into or starting with the Vectrex needs to know that it is very much a system that if you see a homebrew game or device that even remotely interests you that is currently available, you do NOT sit around and think about buying. You pretty much need to buy those items then and there to get them at their best price because they always increase quite a lot in the future in most cases.

I should also note, that while it hasn't been mentioned here. The games released by Kristof Tuts are worth owning a Vectrex for. Seriously, his port of Time Pilot called Vector Pilot is one of the best home brew games on any system. And the best part is that his games are not only amazing, but you can still buy them directly from him for far less money than scalpers on the 'bay would have you believe.

http://www.kristofsvectrexgames.be/

I will note that his website will trigger most AV browser guards so you might have to add that link to an exclusion list like I had to in order to get it to come up and work.

I'll have to look into an emulator for now, although I would not be too broken up about it someone volunteered information on which one is preferred by users here.  Emulators are dangerous, I remember downloading a TI emulator over 11 years ago, and it led me down a deep rabbit hole. 🤪 

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

28 minutes ago, RickR said:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Kopp multicart is $25 and has every official game and bunch of homebrews.  "Unobtainium" is not accurate.  A working Vectrex and the Kopp cart are all that is needed for loads of fun.  We're talking $350 or so. 

Good to know.  Do you want to part with your working spare unit for $350.00?  <ducking and running for cover>

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

If I had a spare, I would!  I don't, although I've had a spare in the past.  Selling for fair prices to someone I know will use it is what I do. 

My next downsizing item for sale will be an Atari XEGS.  If anyone might be interested, let me know. 

Edited by RickR

14 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Battlezone and Lunar Lander didn't officially get released on the Vectrex. Those versions you've seen are likely the actual arcade roms of those games running in a special emulation mode from a VecFever cartridge or possibly the PiTrex (I think it can do this..)

I have Battlezone running on my PiTrex.

2 hours ago, CrossBow said:

The games released by Kristof Tuts are worth owning a Vectrex for. Seriously, his port of Time Pilot called Vector Pilot is one of the best home brew games on any system. And the best part is that his games are not only amazing, but you can still buy them directly from him for far less money than scalpers on the 'bay would have you believe.

+1. I highly recommend Kristof Tuts games.  Vector Pilot is the best home version of Time Pilot and Vector Patrol is an amazing port of Moon Patrol. Its visuals are stunning and the gameplay is spot on. 

Kristof Tuts.jpg

1 hour ago, RickR said:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Kopp multicart is $25 and has every official game and bunch of homebrews.  "Unobtainium" is not accurate.  A working Vectrex and the Kopp cart are all that is needed for loads of fun.  We're talking $350 or so. 

I recommend the Kopp multicart for anyone that's just getting into the Vectrex as well. In addition, there is an SD multicart that you can purchase from AtariAge member Richard Hutchinson. He makes/sells the VecMulti SD cart and goes by Richard H. on AtariAge. This is a simple to use multicart. Adding the files couldn't be easier. 

VecMulti.jpg

@- Ω - this is what you are looking at if you want all of the Vector arcade games working on a Vectrex. 

VecFever on Ebay. Need some deep pockets though!

So glad I was able to get mine when I did years ago!

4 hours ago, CrossBow said:

@- Ω - this is what you are looking at if you want all of the Vector arcade games working on a Vectrex. 

VecFever on Ebay. Need some deep pockets though!

So glad I was able to get mine when I did years ago!

THAT, my friend will NEVER happen.  I occasionally splurge on stuff now and then, but that price reminds me of the old P.T. Barnum saying... and I'm not that sucker.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>