OMG! Really! - Vectrex prices on eBay

- Ω -

Lately I've been on the hunt for some vector graphics games like arcade versions of originals like Lunar Lander, Asteroids, Battlezone and Omega Race.  So tonight I thought I'd head over to Ebay to check out what was available in the Vectrex realm.  Cough, cough, choke.  I've been known to drop a chunk of change now and then for something I really want, but the prices listed << HERE >> about gave me a heart attack.  

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

The prices are high but every now and then, you can find a deal on eBay. If you can find one at a local shop, you should do better, especially if you have establised a relationship with the owners. I picked one up late last year on eBay and a couple of weeks later, one showed up a local store that I used to frequent. The owner called and gave me first dibs. We were able to agree on a price and I now have two, along with 24 games (mix of original and homebrew) and a couple of multicarts and custom  controllers. I love this console. There really is nothing like it. I wish I could go back in time and tell 10 year old me that one day you'll be playing Asteroids on a 9" vector monitor. 

OMG have you been watching prices on every retro console? 

Time to invent a time machine and go back to the time. Back when people were complaining about a $30 price being too high for a broken Vectrex. Or any heavy sixer Atari 2600. Or a Virtual Boy.

Back i those times when you were telling yourself it is time to buy one.

Now try and look ahead another 10 years when every barely running, wonky controller, Vectrex will have some kind of grading applied to it.

A time when you're making another post on some future social site about the same topic. 

2 hours ago, Vectrexer said:

OMG have you been watching prices on every retro console? 

Time to invent a time machine and go back to the time. Back when people were complaining about a $30 price being too high for a broken Vectrex. Or any heavy sixer Atari 2600. Or a Virtual Boy.

Back i those times when you were telling yourself it is time to buy one.

Now try and look ahead another 10 years when every barely running, wonky controller, Vectrex will have some kind of grading applied to it.

A time when you're making another post on some future social site about the same topic. 

Now do this with home prices.

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I've been shocked about the price of just some games lately.  There was a time Jaguar games could not be sold for $5.  Now you can't find them for less than $50 most of the time.

The Jaguar has become pretty pricey. It’s the only Atari “released” home console that I don’t have in my collection and looking at the current prices, I may never bother.

The recent homebrews look pretty amazing.

29 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Or get a flying DeLorean!  🙂

Tried that, trust me it doesn't help.

Thinking ahead IS the time machine. Get what you can while you can and cherish it.

DeLorean guys are saying the same thing "wow I wish I would've bought one 20 years ago". I know a lot of people that would've loved to have bought a home ten years ago or two years ago. Everything is downstream from that. Cars, video games, all the "toys" that people enjoy.

As far as buying Vectrex games online, don't forget Mercari and other online platforms in addition to ebay. I found many reasonably priced Vectrex games on Mercari which is the only other platform I've regularly used in addition to ebay. Vectrex game prices on ebay have gotten even more crazy recently.

As far as buying the Vectrex console goes, I would really hesitate buying one online and having it shipped. I'm just too nervous about damage during transit. I bought mine from a local gamer a few years ago and helped another local game buy one locally from craigslist a couple years ago.

Most economic way to play Vectrex games? Reach out to Jason Kopps on Facebook. He's in the Vectrex fans unite! FB group. He sells a multi-cart for $20 (maybe $25 now) which contains all the official releases and a bunch more. It's a PCB board without a cartridge case. If you must have the screen overlays to complete the game playing experience, Sean Kelly sells reproduction overlays. He also sells a multi-cart for $50 (comes in cartridge case). By the way, buying from Sean is an easier experience (he operates a business) than trying to buy from Jason (hobbyist).

2 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Reach out to Jason Kopps on Facebook.

+1 for the Jason Kopps Super Vectrex Multicart. I purchased this cart and a clear shell from shell from Sean Kelly’s website. The shell required a bit of mod for the board to fit. I also recommend Sean Kelly’s overlays. 

IMG_1455.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

9 hours ago, - Ω - said:

The guy trying to sell the one pictured below must be smoking something federally illegal...

KMA.JPG.b58aa37fc857d55cb9e06a49dc0a2479.JPG

Really?  $3,038.88 with shipping?   Ask, but ye may not receive,  especially from me.

Pro-Tip: Asking Price is not the same as what the item actually sold for. Same for cars, houses, etc.

That's not to say that it won't sell at that price. I've set juicy "Buy It Now" prices on systems and they sold within a day. Most often to overseas buyers with different economic systems where these items are more scarce and eBay sellers are often unwilling to ship.