Terry Hoff artwork for the unreleased Asteroids 5200 (Atari, 1982)

ASTEROIDS 

Asteroids was Atari’s first big arcade hit, so it oniy seemed natural that a home console version would follow. 
While it was impossible for the 2600 to reproduce the vector graphics of the arcade game, this conversion 
stays true to the gameplay of the original. The same rock-blasting action of the original played out well on 
all subsequent Atari consoles, and was ripe for interpretation by each of the artists who depicted the game 
in illustrations. The 5200 version of the game was created but never released because of challenges in 
adapting to the system’s analog joystick. A special button-based controller was also in the works to improve 
gameplay but was never finalized. 

A Cover art for Asteroids (5200) 
Artist: Terry Hoff 

402366757_853003239946234_4991557980789848460_n.jpg

More info ART OF ATARI (various formats on INTERNET ARCHIVE)

https://archive.org/details/art-of-atari

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

The 5200 Asteroids artwork is my favorite. I like it so much that I chose it for my custom 5200 cart and box and also have it in my Atari room (Art of Atari Poster Collection). The 5200 box is by Marc Oberhäuser. If you like this box, there's one left on Marc's Etsy site.  

Poster.jpg

5200 box_cart.jpg

box_bk.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

The 5200 Asteroids artwork is my favorite. I like it so much that I chose it for my custom 5200 cart and box and also have it in my Atari room (Art of Atari Poster Collection). The 5200 box is by Marc Oberhäuser. If you like this box, there's one left on Marc's Etsy site.  

Poster.jpg

5200 box_cart.jpg

box_bk.jpg

That's fantastic!😲👍🏻

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Just now, sramirez2008 said:

You are correct! It looks pretty cool with the addition of the missiles for Missile Command. Btw, this is an excellent game IMO.

IMG_2244.jpeg

I was going to say this yesterday looking at Mr. Run and Jump, and Berzerk - it's so strange looking at classic Atari packaging and seeing an ESRB rating labeled on the front. That always hits me as a little surreal.

6 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

You are correct! It looks pretty cool with the addition of the missiles for Missile Command. Btw, this is an excellent game IMO.

Indeed, it is! I like the enhancements for the Missile Command rehash on the Lynx. Missile Command: Recharged reminds me of it in some ways. Especially when you have to buy weapons.

8 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

IMG_2244.jpeg

I own the prototype of this game.  I created a label or the cart since it is one of those old PCB carts.

SuperAsteroids.jpg.ae11b3a35661aaaa82ec5cd65a6fbb1a.jpg

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...