PLAION Announces the 400 Mini

3 minutes ago, Justin said:

You could make that case for the 2600 as well. We're in a different age now and a different market. The 2600+ and this new 400 mini are not competing as industry leaders the way PS5, Xbox and Switch are today.

That's also why I thought it would be far more economical for Atari to roll their modern support for the 5200 format into a new A8+ product.

That makes sense and you are right…different times, different market.  Maybe all this revamping is gearing them up for a much bigger plan? 

Atari has an unreleased 5200 model they could use if they used their brains and actually did it.  THAT would be cool to see happen!

1 minute ago, RickR said:

Yes it does.  As mentioned prior.  USB keyboard support is there, and also a virtual keyboard.  You can load basic and program as you see fit.  However, it is not know if you can save or not.  My guess is yes, but it will be a bit convoluted.  You'd load a DOS image from the USB memory stick and be able to save to that. 

If I recall correctly, the C64 mini allowed this (the ability to save to a disk image on USB). 

Ahh.  I missed that part.  Thank you!

I tried both, neither is working on my Atari 400 mini. I can't find the original post or where I found it that had the one from Plaion that was a fix for something. When I first downloaded it, it worked on the mini. Then I had to reformat the usb, and I thought I had a copy of it, I didn't and I can't find it in my downloads. Weird, I have tried a bunch of roms and made sure they are .bin, nothing works and the mini does not even show that there is a USB in the unit. Frustrating, but, that is what I get for not being tech saavy, and not knowing what I am doing. I tried to download firmware for my Evercade Pocket, and I can't get that to work either. It is so easy to do, but for some reason, I am unable to make that work. Same with my Arcade 1Up countercade, tried to mod it with Bacertera, and can't figure it out. I will use them as they are stock for now until I have time to dedicate to learn how to do it. I have successfully modded, and added games and firmware to many other things, but these few are really making me want to get rid of these things all together, or just sell them.

Does the 400 Mini have a format option? It’s very possible the USB drive’s file structure may have been changed and your 400 is not recognizing it.

Let me see what I can research to try to help you. One question: what did you use to reformat the USB drive?

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy