Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Interesting Video About ET and the Video Game Crash of '83

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 967 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

I just found this video on Youtube, and it's very well made and informative. Thought you guys might appreciate seeing it.

• greenween, Lost Dragon, TrekMD and 1 other like this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#2 chas10e

chas10e

Pretzel Member

• 375 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

neat video & well made IMO, thanks for sharing Lee :thumb:

• greenween and LeeJ07 like this

#3 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

Lost of sources listed, but the video unfortunately contains several recycled unfounded rumors (ex: 3.5 million E.T. carts returned to stores and buried? lol  no...).  But then again, when your sources are sites like Wikipedia and Atarimuseum, I suppose this is to be expected.

• Justin, MaximumRD, greenween and 1 other like this

#4 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

It was a good little watch. I knew I would get pissed over the E.T. hate/blame. I think video games have gone beyond the point of a true "crash" happening again. It could be a good thing if it does though. Just my opinion.

• LeeJ07 likes this

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

#5 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 967 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

It was a good little watch. I knew I would get pissed over the E.T. hate/blame. I think video games have gone beyond the point of a true "crash" happening again. It could be a good thing if it does though. Just my opinion.

I actually thought the video did a rather good job of dismissing the tall tales of E.T. being the only factor that caused the crash.
E.T. wasn't the cause, but it was undoubtedly a symptom of the troubled waters ahead, and a sign that not all was well in the house that Atari built.
  • greenween and RickR like this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#6 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 966 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:42 PM

Interesting video. I will say that there are a lot of games today across multiple platforms and operating systems. However most of those games are in a digital download format and only a small percentage of those games seem to be in physical form. The saturation seems to be in the digital copies as there are a LOT of "me too" games. Most are free but it's still too many in a market that is repeating what Atari learned in the first crash. Whether or not a crash will happen is yet to be seen but should be expected. I also doesn't help the market when publishers like Steam hold sells where games are marked down in a similar fashion as brick and mortar stores did during the '83 crash.
  • greenween and LeeJ07 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users