Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Sega Genesis Megafire controller

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,277 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Check this out.  I didn't know these existed, but I had one in a box of controllers.  Looks like an official Sega gamepad that has autofire switches added.  Were these common?  I'm going to use it as my main Genesis controller.

Attached Thumbnails

• stuff 004.JPG
  • stuff 003.JPG

• Justin, MaximumRD and greenween like this

#2 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,061 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Interesting! I certainly do not recall seeing one before!                                                     

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#3 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,254 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

I saw one recently on eBay in a box of controllers. Outside of that, I've never heard or seen one before. (rare/uncommon)

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#4 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

I've never seen that! That looks like an official Sega product almost. I wonder if that was done in response to the TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine controllers coming standard with auto-fire?

• MaximumRD likes this

#5 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,033 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

800px-MegaFire_MD_US_Box_Front.jpg

Yup, it appears to be the first turbo controller Sega made for the Genesis/Mega Drive. I'm guessing MegaFire gets it's name from the Mega Drive. Interestingly enough, on the first arcade style joystick Sega made for the Genesis, they labeled the turbo fire options, Megafire as well.

• MaximumRD and RickR like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,277 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

It's pretty wild to find.  I must have grabbed it in a thrift store and not even realized it was different than a plain Genesis pad until now. 

• MaximumRD likes this

#7 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,200 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

Had one and loved it!  Worked great with arcade-style shoot 'em ups.  Really did wonders for Granada.  Try it with Twin Cobra, too!

• MaximumRD and RickR like this

#8 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 597 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

I don't think I've ever seen one of those!  Cool!

• MaximumRD likes this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users