Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Achievements

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

I'm just curious as to where my fellow "older" gamers stand on the issue of achievements.

As for myself, they've had my hooks in me since early 2006 and haven't let go since.

I don't chase them simply to inflate my gamerscore. I find that they allow me to get more out of a game that I normally would stop playing. For example, if I complete the campaign on a game but there's an achievement for completing the campaign on a higher difficulty or under a certain period of time, I'll go back and try to earn those as well.

It's probably my OCD tendencies but I love trying to unlock as many as I can.

They also make me wonder what some achievements would be included in games from 35 years ago, but I suppose that's a separate topic.  B)

• The Professor and VicSage like this

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

They never drew me in.  If there's no more reward than just the achievement, I don't miss with them.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

I actually like them when it comes to something like NES Remix. gives something to shot for beyond winning a game.

• VicSage and StormSurge like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#4 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 627 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

It was part of the reason I really loved the 360 (with the exception of the hardware failures constantly) and it was fun comparing unlocks with other friends. Between that and High Scores and XBLA, I felt like the 360 was the console to really bring online gaming full-circle yet I feel they've sort of lost that touch with the Xbox One.

• VicSage and StormSurge like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#5 VicSage

VicSage

Cherry Member

• 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

For myself, I certainly do love the achievement or trophy system. I can't help but feel it's basically like those glorious days of the Activision patches. :D

Having said that...in a game when I've survived a Herculean attempt from the A.I. at ending my game, laid low legions of my foes and hear the Xbox ding and then see that I received a mere 5 points? That makes me upset. ;)

• Justin, Clint Thompson and StormSurge like this

#6 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

I know the pain Vic. That's why this site speaks to me. :)

http://www.trueachie...om/aboutus.aspx

#7 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

Does this count? We've only given this achievement to three special members.

post-1-0-51886500-1437000946.jpg

• The Professor, greenween, RickR and 2 others like this

#8 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

Heck yeah they count!!
  • Justin likes this

#9 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,421 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Should I be ashamed that I have no idea what you're talking about?  :lol: :help:

#10 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,275 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

achievements like these? 

Attached Thumbnails

• rr intv patch.jpg
  • m6e4Pow3tGI0123gckOFNfw.jpg
  • Freeway_thumb.jpg

• StormSurge likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#11 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

Yes! Ice Hockey was the only one I ever earned. Of course, the flash made sure I would never actually have the patch until I bought one on eBay several years later.

RickR, nothing to be ashamed of. The Xbox 360 introduced achievements with their games back in 2005. Every game has a possible 1,000 gamerscore that can be unlocked during gameplay. Some games have very creative ones, some aren't. Some are easy, some are difficult.

#12 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,275 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

Yes! Ice Hockey was the only one I ever earned. 

Activision Ice Hockey is my main game for the Atari VCS!  I still have a #1 world ranking for point difference with a 31. 

http://highscore.com/score/?s=4583

and a Gold Medal score as entered in the 2014 AA Winter Olympics

• Rowsdower70 and StormSurge like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#13 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

Wow, that awesome! Amazing!!

• The Professor and Arenafoot like this

#14 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Wow, that awesome! Amazing!!

Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users