Retro HD Help

AtariBrian

Hey guys I just ordered a 100 inch screen for my mirror projector and the goal is to play some retro games larger than life!  I bought a hdmi upscaler, which I thought would do the trick so I can go from rca (all my stuff is modded) to hdmi.  But there seems to be a lag (which is no fun).  Ok so I will be getting the retron77 as soon as it comes out, but what about NES?  I don't think I want the retron5 (it's expensive and I don't really play those newer systems)  I saw the retroN 1 hd, seems like a good deal at 40 bucks, but do any of you have any others?  Or anyone have any good ideas on projecting games?  Thanks in advance!

One nice thing about the Retron 5 is you can play ROMS on it. It’s a bit involved because you have to patch the ROMS as IPS files, but a nice bonus that might make it worth it. It also supports wireless controllers from 8bitdo, not sure if that’s something of interest?

If you’re really just looking for NES though might be worth the extra coin to go with a Retro USB AVS?

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78&osCsid=c33eaf88789db4469698bfa25479d136

I was going to suggest this:

https://www.lukiegames.com/retro-nes-console-silver.html

But I am not sure if that is the one in the video or not.  The Retron 5, even if it is costly, can also play some handheld games out of the box.  It actually supports most cartridge-based systems of the past.  I don't want one but I do like what it tries to do.

Ok I came up with a solution.  I set up my raspberry pi with stella, a nes, snes and arcade emulator.  Loaded a bunch or roms and now I wait till tomorrow for the big screen delivery.  Is the only upscaler that is any good is the framemeister?  I think mine was like 20 bucks.....  but hey I guess I can use it to convert VHS to hdmi.

There is the OSSC though it isn't cheap either, but it isn't quite as expensive as the Framemeister. Also, the OSSC would require some additional adapters as it only has inputs for component, VGA, and SCART I believe. It is that reason alone that I haven't invested into the OSSC and still stick with my separate converters I use. Though the lag isn't too bad at like 4 to 6 fames per second according to 240p test suite. Even less when I do the manual lag test since over the years I've essentially become accustomed to it and just naturally compensate for it. 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections