Castlevania: Dracula X Rondo of Blood for TurboDuo (1993)

Justin

large.A001833A-BB02-40BF-BDDE-F22767C616FC.JPG

What an amazing game. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood was released in Japan for the PC Engine Duo but never saw a release in the United States for Turbo Duo. And it’s a shame because the graphics and sound are almost what you’d expect to see in an arcade.

Games like Castlevania: Rondo of Blood are what should’ve been ported over from Japan for the TurboGrafx systems in the US. So many stellar games on PC Engine never saw a North American release and Rondo of Blood is one of them. This should’ve made the cover of GamePro with a media blitz to rival anything from Sega or Nintendo. The game brings out the best qualities of the Castlevania series and the Duo itself.

@btbfilms76 and I just did a livestream of this game on the Atari I/O Instagram, I'll be posting a replay soon!

large.736416371_2019-01-09142539_820.jpg

large.569045600_2019-01-0216.jpg

large.930304332_2019-01-0215.jpg

large.942291292_2019-01-0219.jpg

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Does this game work on the turbo everdrive? 

NOPE - because it is a CD based game. TurboEverdrive only loads Card based games / roms. The loading emulation is completely different. Same as the Everdrive for the Sega Genesis, it loads only cartridge games NOT SegaCD games. Basically the TurnboEverdrive will allow you to load the entire Card based library whether TG16 or PCengine (you just flick a switch for the particular console and it will patch roms on the fly to load games designed for the other. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

2 hours ago, Justin said:

HAHA I agree! Thanks @MaximumRD! TurboGrafx-16 is a whole world unto itself. Think you might join the Duo revolution eventually?

Sadly NOT outside of a miracle, I am no longer actively collecting due to restricted funds and room and the CD based options are not exactly cheap. Can not justify it even if I HAD the funds. Just have to stick with regular TG16 and my Everdrive, considering that has been in a box since about 2012 (see my post elsewhere ) doesn't seem a prioroty. I DID really badly want one for years but it never happened so it is no longer practical. First world problems.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Akumajō Dracula X Castlevania: Rondo of Blood DOUBLE VISION livestream on Instagram with @btbfilms76 and @Justin

This is a livestream I did with BTB on Instagram. I love doing these, we've been doing a lot of livestreams on Instagram recently. I've been uploading them to YouTube and will be doing some YouTube Live events as well. Be sure to subscribe to our new Atari I/O Live YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbfnsdt3CQSy5aE8PY6hjvg

Enjoy:

Castlevania??  On the TG-16???  Whaaaaat?!?  No way!  Torture...pure video game torture.  To see this and wonder what if that game made it across the ocean.  NEC really underestimated the American gamers and the market.  Why?  I won't have funds anytime soon but should I win the lottery I'll pick up a system.  Cool stuff!

1 hour ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Castlevania??  On the TG-16???  Whaaaaat?!?  No way!  Torture...pure video game torture.  To see this and wonder what if that game made it across the ocean.  NEC really underestimated the American gamers and the market.  Why?  I won't have funds anytime soon but should I win the lottery I'll pick up a system.  Cool stuff!

@kamakazi20012 Try http://www.freeturbodiscs.com you won't need to win the lottery, at least not to pick up a game or two. 😎👌

This game is one of the highlights in  my Turbo collection as small as that collection is. I actually have a JPN TurboDUO as my main playing system. I use the Everdrive for the Hucard games and purchase the actual CDs when I seem them for playing back since the CD games aren't region locked or anything.

I don't play my Trubo near enough either...

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections