Squad Challenge - R-TYPE (TurboGrafx-16)

Justin

Okay, I think I've got the third boss figured out now... 

Get around underneath... grabbing the red powerup...  get around to the front of the boss and get your pod in back (shooting backwards)...  use it to take out all the random cannons on top.   The eye part of the ship moves in and out.  It moves out and shoots bubbles, then moves in and exposes the weak point.  Stay above it and a little forward to shoot the bubbles as they come out behind you.  When it stops and goes back in, move into the small area and shoot... then fly out and shoot the bubbles again...   There's one time when it goes really close to the left side of the screen and I don't trust myself to be able to fit in the gap, so I wait until the next go around.  Seems to take shooting the eye like that, with turbos on, twice to kill it.

Was just playing for about an hour and this seems to be working for me at least.  It worked the last couple of times at least.

182,900. I know I'm getting better, but I still haven't been able this score of mine from a few days ago.

20190426_124608.thumb.jpg.235fdaa43b85aa09be24286ec1756d4a.jpg

I was watching a video of the arcade game,  and I actually prefer the rendition of the music in the TG16 version! Only small weakness as a port is a bit of flicker in a few places.  Also, a high score table would have been nice. And maybe a difficulty select? Because it occurs to me--WHY IS THIS GAME SO HARD, MAKE IT STOP 😭

Fun though. :) :arcade:

Edited by RadioPoultry

10 hours ago, RadioPoultry said:

I was watching a video of the arcade game,  and I actually prefer the rendition of the music in the TG16 version! Only small weakness as a port is a bit of flicker in a few places.  Also, a high score table would have been nice. And maybe a difficulty select? Because it occurs to me--WHY IS THIS GAME SO HARD, MAKE IT STOP 😭

Great observations @RadioPoultry! R-TYPE on the TurboGrafx really shines. I love the arcade version and had originally intended this to be a Sega Master System Squad Challenge, as I grew up with R-TYPE on the SMS and really enjoyed it. After playing it on TurboGrafx-16 though it was an obvious choice. Especially with so many members pulling out their TG16 lately.

I've continued playing R-TYPE this entire time, even spent an hour with it last night. I wasn't able to beat my current high score. I tried, but what a challenging game! Thanks for playing guys!

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Kid A!

Congratulations @Kid A on an primo score! R-TYPE is only our 2nd Squad Challenge held exclusively for a TurboGrafx-16 game. Our first was Bomberman three years ago, and of course we recently held a Devil's Crush Double Feature for both TG16 and Genesis. Turnout and enthusiasm for R-TYPE was great! I've always been a huge fan of the TurboGrafx-16 and on a personal level I've really enjoyed seeing Members here getting more into the TG16 systems, they were always so underrated in my opinion. Thanks for turning out guys, I hope you enjoyed this one! And to welcome new member @Control Issues to the forums! 

Kid A achieved the High Score for this Squad Challenge with a score of 212,100. Control Issues took 2nd Place with 186,100 points, and @RadioPoultry was right on his tail with 182,900 points to take 3rd. I played R-TYPE almost every chance I had and was barely able to scrape by with 151,200 points. What a challenging game this is! @RickR brought his A-Game with lots of effort and nerd cred, racking up a whopping 101,400 points, @atarilbc checked in with 76,300 points, and @Atari Creep got things started for us with his YouTube video achieving 39,000 points his first time out. Great showing guys! Congrats to everyone who played! I'd like to welcome Control Issues to the Atari I/O Forums and encourage Kid A to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and maybe this Challenge can continue on! 

Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for the Intellivision and will begin later this afternoon! We will also be having a special one-day event challenge coming up on May the Fourth as well.  See you there!

R-TYPE FINAL STANDINGS

1   KID A                                   212,100

2   CONTROL ISSUES            186,100

3   RADIO POULTRY               182,900

4   JUSTIN                               151,200

5   RICKR                                  101,400

6   ATARILBC                             76,300

7   ATARI CREEP                       39,000

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif