Garage Sale Finds

RickR

Cool find. I used to have an original design PS2, but someone stole it. That is one reason why I stayed Atari in my collection. But, I had been collecting over 300 Atari games across all Atari platforms and computers since 1982 anyway. Say, did Sony ever market hard drives for the PS2? i had heard that they were thinking about it. It certainly could make games load faster. Would you not think? My brother has a PS2 Silm Black somewhere in his house. I liked it. Thanks for letting me share. :)

I think Sony DID release a hard drive for the PS2.  You need the original "fat" model and a network adapter.  And I think it's hackable. 

I tested this PS2 and it works just fine.  Both controllers too.  Then I cleaned it up really nicely.  Good as new.  I have not yet tried the steering wheel, though. 

36 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Cool find. I used to have an original design PS2, but someone stole it. That is one reason why I stayed Atari in my collection. But, I had been collecting over 300 Atari games across all Atari platforms and computers since 1982 anyway. Say, did Sony ever market hard drives for the PS2? i had heard that they were thinking about it. It certainly could make games load faster. Would you not think? My brother has a PS2 Silm Black somewhere in his house. I liked it. Thanks for letting me share. :)

Yep.  I have one that I found in a garage sale a few years ago.  It was a wholesale type buy.  I bought a small box with a bunch of old PC hard drives.  A PS2 hard drive was in the mix.  But I have a slim model so I couldn't tell you what was on it or anything.  I think only a few games made use of it.  The only one I know of for sure was a Final Fantasy game which should have come with the hard drive.

Nice find RickR!  That is a nice setup.  ATV OffRoad is a blast to play.  Did the steering wheel come with pedals or does it need those?  Some do is why I ask.  And you got a memory card, too!  It should at least power on if nothing else.  If you can't get it to read disks you may have to take it apart and clean the disc drive and its laser lens.  Some "fatty" PS2 models have a small white gear inside the disc drive that adjusts the distance between the disc and laser.  You may have to adjust that as well.

The steering wheel has no pedals, but it has two paddles for gas and brake.  Kind of like paddle shifters on a sports car. 

The PS2 works just fine.  Loads disks.  It was just dusty. 

You're right about Final Fantasy and the hard disk.  I'm pretty sure the system can be hacked to load any game you like on the HD.  Mayor Greenween has such a setup I think.  Emulators and such too.  Maybe I should make this a project for this PS2 -- install an HD and put some emulators on.  It did come with the Network adapter.  Might be kind of fun to fiddle with it as time permits.  But first, I want to get that steering wheel loaded up and tested.  I'm a huge fan of those Need for Speed games, and those will be perfect to try.  The steering wheel connects using a wireless USB dongle. I'm pretty sure it can be used on PS3 as well. 

Edited by RickR

11 hours ago, RickR said:

I think Sony DID release a hard drive for the PS2.

They sure did! I sold these at Toys R Us and the Sony rep briefed us on them at the time. This would've been about 2003 around the middle of the PS2's lifecycle, when Sony was developing the PS3 and realized how important a hard drive would be moving forward.

The bundle we sold was called the "HDD" (Hard Disk Drive) and included a 40GB hard drive and Final Fantasy XI Online. Here's what it looked like:

51HR9WAH3AL._AC_SX215_.jpg

30 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Cool! Can it be modified for faster load times with other PS2 discs? I assume yes.

I think so too, but I need to do more research.  I may contact greenween directly. 

As for the garage-sale PS2, the steering wheel works awesomely.  Force feedback!  I've now cleaned it up too.