LET'S COMPARE: Atari 7800 Food Fight vs Atari XEGS Food Fight

Video 61

hi everyone, as requested, and i was about to do it, food fight comparison.

7800 version, colorful, smooth, good sounds,

XEGS version, choppy, almost like its in basic, music pretty good, but some sound effects are almost 2600 like.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

I would honestly prefer the 7800 version.  However, if the XEGS was the only game console I had to play this game with then I would have been OK with it.  The only version I knew of until now was the 7800 version.  That one is a lot of fun.  I have that one for the 7800 but not for the XE.  That was on a cart for the XE, right?  I hope they didn't waste a disk for that.

5 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I would honestly prefer the 7800 version.  However, if the XEGS was the only game console I had to play this game with then I would have been OK with it.  The only version I knew of until now was the 7800 version.  That one is a lot of fun.  I have that one for the 7800 but not for the XE.  That was on a cart for the XE, right?  I hope they didn't waste a disk for that.

I will tell you, this was the case for me.  I had an 800XL, and Food Fight was such a disappointment.  Keep in mind that the 8-bit ports of various arcade games had always been excellent.  Most consider the 8-bit version of Donkey Kong to be the best home version, for example.  Food Fight was a stinker, and I disliked it.  Way too choppy and not very fun.  I didn't play it much at all. 

Oh man, I never realized that Food Fight in the arcade was rare.  I remember playing it and loving it.  I never understood why no one made a home version (other than the really bad 8-bit Atari version).  I may have mentioned before that I never even knew the 7800 existed until I started collecting as an adult.

In my mind, Food Fight is the premier game for the 7800.  I also think Asteroids is right up there with it.  Food Fight is very close to the arcade version (except for the smaller screen area).  The 7800 version handles all that frenetic movement perfectly. 

Asteroids on 7800 is a really nice upgrade to a tired classic.  I love the animation of the rocks, and the addition of 2-player co-op mode is astounding. 

Edited by RickR

On 6/22/2020 at 4:34 AM, kamakazi20012 said:

hi,

yep, its on a xegs super cart. its almost like the programmer said who cares. i know the 7800 can shine sprite wise, but the xe can do some complicated stuff.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 6/22/2020 at 10:16 AM, RickR said:

I will tell you, this was the case for me.  I had an 800XL, and Food Fight was such a disappointment.  Keep in mind that the 8-bit ports of various arcade games had always been excellent.  Most consider the 8-bit version of Donkey Kong to be the best home version, for example.  Food Fight was a stinker, and I disliked it.  Way too choppy and not very fun.  I didn't play it much at all. 

hi,

i play it every once in a while, just to remind me that bad games happen!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 6/23/2020 at 1:55 AM, BlackCatz40 said:

It was created originally as an arcade game in 1984, I believe, by Atari.

hi,

i used to play it all of the time. the local arcade place had sinsitar, hat trick, food fight and crystal castles all sitting next to each other. went through quarters like crazy!!!!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 6/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, RickR said:

Oh man, I never realized that Food Fight in the arcade was rare.  I remember playing it and loving it.  I never understood why no one made a home version (other than the really bad 8-bit Atari version).  I may have mentioned before that I never even knew the 7800 existed until I started collecting as an adult.

In my mind, Food Fight is the premier game for the 7800.  I also think Asteroids is right up there with it.  Food Fight is very close to the arcade version (except for the smaller screen area).  The 7800 version handles all that frenetic movement perfectly. 

Asteroids on 7800 is a really nice upgrade to a tired classic.  I love the animation of the rocks, and the addition of 2-player co-op mode is astounding. 

hi rickr,

AGREED! if its done right on the 7800, it shines!!! what a 7800 game needs is a very talented programmer, and the right size board. it makes all the differences.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 6/23/2020 at 3:09 PM, BlackCatz40 said:

I once played Food Fight in the arcades at the Minnesota State Fair over thirty years ago. It has a unique way of controlling the character. The character never stops moving, and it is a swivel joystick that spins in place, controlling direction. Cool game. I always liked it.

it was very cool how it was done.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 6/24/2020 at 9:30 PM, Video 61 said:

it was very cool how it was done.

lance

www.atarisales.com

Yes, it was. The animation in the arcade version is very fluid and funny. Apparently, it was derived from the food fight scene from the movie "Animal House." At least, that is the story anyway.

2 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Yes, it was. The animation in the arcade version is very fluid and funny. Apparently, it was derived from the food fight scene from the movie "Animal House." At least, that is the story anyway.

yes i can see that scenario being true, thanks for the info!!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500